Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

Default How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

As the title says, how much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now and did you have difficulty conversing with people at first?

Default Re: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

I'm starting to have trouble believing you're not a troll now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Banned

Default Re: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

be nice

I came on JET with only the basics and left without much more. If you have a passion for it and put the time in to study then thats great but don't panic if you cant speak a word and have no desire to learn.

I came with 2 years of Uni courses under my belt and have since passed the 3kyuu test while in Japan.
    When I arrived my spoken was a little weak but now I have friends who speak only Japanese.
    Like Azrael said though, you have to have the commitment to learning to do it.
    I know people who have been here 5 years and can only do basic things like order in a restaurant and even then it's tough for them.

ah, so it is not the case that you come with X and leave with X+100 simply since you are immersed with the language?

I had visited Japan several times before starting JET and even had a real, live Japanese Girlfriend™ for a few years, but my Japanese was embarrassingly limited.

I fucked around the first year here and couldn't be bothered to learn the language (mostly because the JG™ dumped me on New Years). However, once I decided to put my whole ass into it, I've picked up a fair amount since last August.

If you have an interest to learn, it's very easy to make consistent progress; just don't expect it to happen right away.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by silverx7 View Post
    ah, so it is not the case that you come with X and leave with X+100 simply since you are immersed with the language?
    That's true to an extent. Even without studying, one day after a staff meeting I realized "hm, I understood most of what was said". Of course, being immersed in it will give you good listening skills, but you have to put your mind to it and practice to improve speaking/writing skills.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

I took Japanese for 3 years in college but never studied abroad and was never very good at it. Didn't study my 4th year. Came here and speaking was stilted but it was like riding a bike. I haven't actively studied at all, and I think if I didn't have background in university I would be one of those people who never progresses beyond super basic conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

BIGGU MAKKU SETTO KUDASAI
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    BIGGU MAKKU SETTO KUDASAI
    dude, get real, it's all about the chikken nagetto.

4 years of uni, 1 of them in Osaka. Everyday stuff no problem (i.e. getting phone, bank account etc) vocab has increased and my understanding comes more naturally now but then that makes sense when you end up speaking Japanese 8 hours a day with the exception of "Harro, my name is Tarquin, Nice to meet you. I like Apples"

Just living here won't do much, you've gotta do some work yourself.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

The nuggets are good until you squat down and fling them all under a vending machine..

I suppose it's time for a serious answer, 4 years of Japanese at uni, 1 year of that in Fukuoka. The more you try the more you pick up, it's just a case of getting stuck in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    The nuggets are good until you squat down and fling them all under a vending machine..
    touche sir.
    They were flung after sitting down resulted in failure.
    I wonder if they are still there.
    Last edited by Tarquin; May 10th, 2010 at 10:48.

minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Banned

ahem....

Sorry.

Like I said. Nothing when I came, now I'm native. Prove otherwise Cataphract.
    Last edited by Djordje; May 11th, 2010 at 04:32. Reason: it's time you quit your schtick already

What a great weekend the nuggets were!

Think the moral of the story here is

1.) Crab and Tarquin are great at Japanese
    2.) You won't absorb it via osmosis so don't count on that like so many people do
    3.) Study a little before you come over to make your life easier

@Meelynn: I took Japanese 1 & 2 a while ago, going to take level 1 again at the local CC before I come so that should help me out yes?

@Djordje: a couple questions,

first how long have you/were you in Japan
    and second did you put forth any outside study or just by osmosis?

silverx7 - Yes that will be tremendously helpful. Knowing the basics is a good foundation. Fresh > rusty.

sounds good, thanks folks

I saw on another forum a post from somebody who had been a JET interviewer who said that knowing too much Japanese can actually be a bad thing as JET is aimed at being a "cultural exchange" and it'd be pointless sending somebody who knew loads about Japan already.

I'm not expecting to know a huge amount by application and (hopefully) interview time, but i still dont know wether i should be honest or downplay what i know.

If you're learning already you've probably already experienced the "steps" effect... Japanese seems hard, then you reach a flat spot and think "this is easy!", then suddenly find a huge cliff in front of you again. I've just started on the rather large cliff called Kanji...