Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

Default Re: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

The CLAIR Japanese course had a very good kana workbook, I thought.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Default Re: How much Japanese did you know going into jet/how much do you know now?

Yeah def. I also go to a Japanese class once a week and they gave me handouts to learn kana at the beginning... I definitely suggest to the OP looking into a class when you get here. There's something about being taught in a classroom setting that gets the Japanese to sink into my head much better than studying from a book alone.

got to my current placement with a japanese degree from US university plus a semester abroad at a certain unnamed institute of higher learning on the outskirts of Tokyo. Had 2kyuu japanese before, now we will see if 1 year of osmosis (and included in osmosis is doing a hell of a lot of hanging out and a shit ton of reading books from the local library) is enough to get you 1kyuu without studying. See you on the 4th of July, 1kyuu.

I didn't speak anything when I got here, and I don't speak a lot now. I can handle simple speaking and reading (and even a little writing) tasks, but I haven't really done much studying since xmas. I'm trying to find a class in my area, but I'm way (way) out in the inaka, so I'm largely restricted to self-study, and I've been lazy since the middle of winter. My motivation always drops off in the winter, but here lately, I've been thinking it's time to hit it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

5 years, good enough to get 3 Japanese credit cards, have a girlfriend, buy a car, and go to a hostess bar.

You don't need to know any Japanese to have a Japanese Girlfriend(TM).

I imagine it helps though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    You don't need to know any Japanese to have a Japanese Girlfriend(TM).

I imagine it helps though.
    I've been reading some PUA stuff, and I think that, combined with average Japanese would be a killer app here.

Won't help you if you're a social retard though

Banned

I'm not on JET yet but I came into the application season with a bit and am coming as a shortlister with even less. I hope to brush up on my basics in July (get quicker at reading kana, some basic kanji - meat, school, train station, times etc). But July's gonna mainly be saying bye to everyone and visiting places here before I leave, so.... guess I'll be taking some reading for the plane1

I had taken one semester of Japanese in my 2nd? 3rd? year of college. It was helpful because I remembered hiragana, katakana.....and well, maybe that was it.

I studied really hard core when I first got here. Passed the JLPT 4 after about 4 months or so. Since then, I've been a bit lazier and I am nowhere near 3kyuu level. I'll be waiting until next December to take that one, and sometime before then, I better get my ass in gear (It might require an ITIL hiatus I'm thinking).

As far as life-applicable stuff.... I can handle many simple things on my own, but not without difficulty and a little confusion. My listening skills are still crappy so conversation is usually short.

A lot of the things I picked up fast were kanji of place names, people's names, and food (obviously). I also try to speak all the Japanese I can when I hang out with my Japanese friends (even if they know a little English), so I'm hoping it helps me learn faster.

I was super eager to learn everything right away, and it happened so much slower than I wanted it to. If you feel the same about it, you will probably be faced with this disappointment. Living in Inaka has kept my motivation really high though.