Thread: Blast from the past, ENKAI 91-92 JETS [VID]

Default Blast from the past, ENKAI 91-92 JETS (VID)

Found this video earlier today, a compilation of 91-92 JETs living it up at an enkai. This is back when they flew JETs over via first-class. Good times.

::Link is broken::

Note: Why is this related to Applying for Jet? Because upcoming JETs need to learn from there preds.
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."

Default Re: Blast from the past, ENKAI 91-92 JETS (VID)

lol, old memories. Long times

Love the hairstyles and glasses.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceDivison View Post
    Found this video earlier today, a compilation of 91-92 JETs living it up at an enkai. This is back when they flew JETs over via first-class. Good times.

::Link is broken::

Note: Why is this related to Applying for Jet? Because upcoming JETs need to learn from there preds.
    I never had a welcome Enkai

woa, they're dressed like people from saved by the bell. awesome.

good ol' 90s...kinda wish i experienced 90s Japan, it looked way wackier and crazier than it does now

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    good ol' 90s...kinda wish i experienced 90s Japan, it looked way wackier and crazier than it does now
    But seriously.

As well as wackier and crazier, it also seemed like more of an untold adventure back then. Everything about our position was much more unknown, harder and more scary, but basically more unusual and cooler. Now, even in my little ultra-working class town, I can find people that have done JET if I really look hard enough.

Don't get me wrong, on balance more information makes life easier and knowledge is power, but there is DEFINITELY some aspect which is better the more unknown and different and challenging things are, any y'all know it.

It's why Japan is more appealing than Canada for Americans or more appealing than France for the British.

What I'm trying to sa- No. Fuck it, I'm drunk, sorry. Ignore me.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Village Drunk View Post
    But seriously.

As well as wackier and crazier, it also seemed like more of an untold adventure back then. Everything about our position was much more unknown, harder and more scary, but basically more unusual and cooler. Now, even in my little ultra-working class town, I can find people that have done JET if I really look hard enough.

Don't get me wrong, on balance more information makes life easier and knowledge is power, but there is DEFINITELY some aspect which is better the more unknown and different and challenging things are, any y'all know it.

It's why Japan is more appealing than Canada for Americans or more appealing than France for the British.

Sorry.
    In a word: weeaboos

Get on IRC

I'm trying! I'm really trying!

Nah i completely agree, back then it was more of an unknown to get on the JET program. Hell, i wanted a change in scenery so I applied to JET, but I dunno, something about 90s Japan appeals to me.

Banned

But seriously.

Sorry.

Jet has been around since the 70s, it wasnt that much of an unknown adventure in the 90s

3.6 million yen in the 1980s/1990s must have been sweet
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Jet has been around since the 70s, it wasnt that much of an unknown adventure in the 90s
    If I was going to defend an openly non-serious post I made whilst drunk, I'd say things like: In the 90s, there weren't a load of forums on which to ask questions; In the 90s, there weren't maybe a hundred blogs detailing every aspect of different JET experiences; In the 90s there weren't youtubers literally showing you around their apartments and schools; And, in the 90s, Japan generally was ever so slightly less used to westerners and had maybe a couple less English language signs.

Ugh... that was twatty. Sorry, I'm still drunk.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

If I was going to defend an openly non-serious post I made whilst drunk, I'd say things like: In the 90s, there weren't a load of forums on which to ask questions; In the 90s, there weren't maybe a hundred blogs detailing every aspect of different JET experiences; In the 90s there weren't youtubers literally showing you around their apartments and schools; And, in the 90s, Japan generally was ever so slightly less used to westerners and had maybe a couple less English language signs.
    Those Damn JET's and foreigners ruining my exotic Japan

I don't think that's what he meant....

Banned

English language signs came in for the olympics in the 60s.

Stop talking as if 1990 was a long time ago, it makes me feel old

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    Those Damn JET's and foreigners ruining my exotic Japan
    Excellent.