Thread: FBI check delays

Default FBI check delays

Does anyone know of JET shortlisters in the past who had trouble receiving their FBI background check/IRS form before the deadline specified by their consulate? If yes, what happened? Were their placements simply re-allocated to an alternate who was more fortunate in getting their paperwork squared away sooner?

It looks like in previous years the turnaround time was pretty quick, but if the FBI's information is correct and it is currently taking them 13 weeks to process fingerprints (whether or not you asked them to be expedited), it seems like this could very well be an issue for the 2010-2011 JET candidates currently waiting for their results. Those whose prints are rejected the first time (which doesn't seem that uncommon) will have an especially difficult time getting the form turned in on time.
    Last edited by kuzco; May 13th, 2010 at 04:03.

Yeah, but when I called the FBI they said they are currently aren't expediting any requests due to the fact that they are backlogged and get so many people asking to have their forms expedited... he also said that they are "in the process of revising their cover letter to remove that option."

Maybe their backlog will clear up and they'll start processing stuff faster, but in the meantime I can't help but wonder how the JET offices will respond in the event that things don't speed up anytime soon... kinda wish I had thought of applying for it back when we interviewed.
    Last edited by kuzco; May 13th, 2010 at 04:21.

Yea, but even if you had done it then, you'd be like, the only one.

If it's all the JETs that are having a problem, that's not something for us to worry about because it's out of our control. If you sent it off and asked for it to be expedited, then you have done what you could do.

Now it's up to the FBI and the embassies to decide what they wanna do now. I'm bet they have some ability to push forth our FBI checks for visa purposes if only because they're another government entity and it's for a visa, not some Mr. Sketchy wanting to work in his local area.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    if they're not expediting any than 2/3 of shortlisters won't get their background check in on time. JET's not going to reject such a huge portion of their shortlist pool. they'll find a way to accomodate.
    This exactly. Damn Cat, why you always be beatin' me?
    Last edited by cielya; May 13th, 2010 at 04:34.
    shortlisted!

I called the FBI before sending mine in, because I was concerned about the turnaround time as well.

I don't really like the idea of having to wait 13 weeks just to find out that my prints weren't clear enough, but the person I talked to at the FBI said that if that happens, to write "Second submission due to illegibility" on the outside of the envelope, and in that case, they will move it to the head of the pile and it will certainly not take nearly as long the second time around.

Like the others said, we're all in the same boat, so I don't think you should be worried. As long as you followed the directions for the request form and sent it in when you were told to do so, it's not your fault if it comes back later than is ideal. You can't make the FBI move any faster.

And I STILL think the "13 weeks" time-frame is a standard, CYA kind of thing. I was told when I called them that it often does take less time. They also advised me to call every couple of weeks so that I can try to find out if my fingerprints are decipherable before having the rejected ones sent back to me, which is what I plan to do.
    Last edited by ganymede; May 13th, 2010 at 04:53.

Did they give you a specific records office phone number to call in order to do this, or did you just look up the number on the website?
    I'm just using the number the NY consulate e-mailed to me with the "Instructions for Obtaining FBI Records" pdf.

I think it's the biometric records department's number. The prompts will tell you which number to press to "check the status of a records request," and it should connect you to a service rep who can check to see if you've been entered into their database yet.
    Last edited by ganymede; May 13th, 2010 at 05:23.

Default Re: FBI check delays

Send multiple copies. I was worried about this, so I sent two separate packets.

Also, I highly recommend doing the prints yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

When I asked my coordinator about this, he said that in the event that they don't get the FBI check on time, the coordinators will talk to Tokyo and vouch for the fact that we did everything we could to get them in on time. This is where the copy of the FBI cover letter that was sent to JET comes in.

i think i remember hearing the same thing when i did it. i got mine back in a couple weeks.

Also, the FBI probably err on the side of caution. If they tell you its going to take 20 weeks and it takes 10, fine. If they tell you it's going to take 10 and it takes 15, people are going to get angry. So they cover their bases by telling everyone it's going to take a really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrography View Post
    Also, the FBI probably err on the side of caution. If they tell you its going to take 20 weeks and it takes 10, fine. If they tell you it's going to take 10 and it takes 15, people are going to get angry. So they cover their bases by telling everyone it's going to take a really long time.

True.

Personally I'm not stressing too much. I sent mine in on the 14th of April which means they got it on the 15th of April, my $18 money order is still not cashed, but it's out of my hands.

On the other hand, IRS made sure to cash in that check ASAP before they tossed my 8802 on the corner pile. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainen View Post
    True.

Personally I'm not stressing too much. I sent mine in on the 14th of April which means they got it on the 15th of April, my $18 money order is still not cashed, but it's out of my hands.

On the other hand, IRS made sure to cash in that check ASAP before they tossed my 8802 on the corner pile. Haha.
    haha I know, right! It's all those "IOU"s they had to write to people who did their taxes at the last minute. Seriously, my dad got one of those... essentially a note saying he'd get his tax return at some point.
    shortlisted!

same thing happened to me. IRS cashed my check the same week, and FBI *still* hasn't run my credit card. but i'm not stressing about it.

now, it gets to be june and i still haven't gotten anything from FBI, then i'll worry. but i like the idea of calling them to make sure the prints are clear. maybe i'll do that next week, since i'm off work.
    WHATZ? American Joke!

miami_coordinator wrote about this on the official forum and said something to the effect of, "If anything, this would be OUR problem and not yours" if you couldn't get your report in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

My Houston coordinator said not to worry about the FBI check (I was a little worried, too). As long as we did our part, they'll do their's, and that's all that can be done. Nothing drastic like replacing short listers with alternates is gonna happen if it doesn't come through (though that is a scary thought).
    They're FUCKING MEETING ABOUT POTATOES AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    My Houston coordinator said not to worry about the FBI check (I was a little worried, too). As long as we did our part, they'll do their's, and that's all that can be done. Nothing drastic like replacing short listers with alternates is gonna happen if it doesn't come through (though that is a scary thought).
    well, especially 'cause all the alternates' FBI forms would also be slow. Like I said, when I sent things in and wrote expedite plz, I washed my hands of it. It's theirs now.
    shortlisted!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    My coordinator said something similar. Apparently delays do happen and that's why you send in your cover letter in advance as evidence of that. Even so, I'm going to continue to call because the idea of it not being here by July 2nd makes me a little nervous on that front.