Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Trinidad ------> Sasebo shi, Nagasaki ken
    Posts
    31

    Default NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    So placements are out...FINALLY!!! If you're coming to Nagasaki prefecture, hit up this thread!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    yeah! i should be getting 4 or 5 new people in my city and 2 of them will be in my apartment complex.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    i'm goin to be in unzen-shi in nagasaki-ken this fall!!

    anybody near by?!

    i'm from america btw.

  4. #4

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    i'm a short train ride away (like 15 minutes or so). unzen is nice! pretty rural i think, but it has at least one really nice onsen and it's pretty close to nagasaki city. a nice spot.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    oic. i was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and go to college right outside Boston.

    What do u think of like the lifestyle (weather, food, recreational stuff, pace of life)?

    I'm Patrick btw.

  6. #6

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    well...it ain't LA. it is laid back, though. nagasaki is a good place for all kinds of outdoorsy stuff. the food is good (every place in japan says it has the best food) and the weather isn't bad; mild winters and hot summers.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    man im so excited. there isn't enough stuff about unzen online though unfortunately. it sounds like a tourist spot for the volcano and the onsen resorts nearby.

    what has ur experience been like in nagasaki-ken overall?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middlebury, VT
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    Isahaya-shi. Looking forward to checking this place out. I didn't really get the chance to visit this chunk of Japan last year when I was abroad.

    So I guess my big question is how does Nagasaki compare to Kyoto as a city? I lived there for nine months and liked the size.
    Last edited by Ryouga; May 19th, 2010 at 09:19.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nagasaki
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Nagasaki is quite a bit smaller than Kyoto (about 1/3 the population). But it's a nice city! And If you want to get somewhere a little bigger Fukuoka isn't too far away! I'm in Isahaya shi too. It's pretty nice! If you have any questions about it feel free message me!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middlebury, VT
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    Yeah, I realized I could just as easily look up the population. Hahaha.

    Yeah, I remember really liking Fukuoka when I visited over my winter break last year. I'm really excited to get to know Nagasaki as a city as well.

    I guess I'm just curious about what kind of place Isahaya-shi is seeing as there is very little in the way of info on it. I just sort of google-earthed it. Hahaha.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nagasaki
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Isahaya's got some good people. I actually don't see too much of most of them. I live a couple stops away from the main station (where most of the Isahaya JETs live). Have you been contacted by your pred yet? Most of the Isahaya city BOE JETs live in the same appartment complex together. The BOE JETs tend to be American males who have studied some Japanese before coming here. You'll probably meet most of the Isahaya JETs pretty quickly after getting here.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Trinidad ------> Sasebo shi, Nagasaki ken
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Isahaya's got some good people. I actually don't see too much of most of them. I live a couple stops away from the main station (where most of the Isahaya JETs live). Have you been contacted by your pred yet? Most of the Isahaya city BOE JETs live in the same appartment complex together. The BOE JETs tend to be American males who have studied some Japanese before coming here. You'll probably meet most of the Isahaya JETs pretty quickly after getting here.
    Katie, you really don't see much of the other alts from Isahaya? I don't see enough of you!! <3 What are your plans for the summer?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nagasaki
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I know... I should go to Sasebo sometime! You have any plans for our birthday? Comming down to Shimabara for the 90's throwback next weekend? This summer.... CANADA! Gonna go home for the first time in 2 years, meet my beautiful new niece!! I'm so excited!! What about you?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Trinidad ------> Sasebo shi, Nagasaki ken
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patleezy View Post
    oic. i was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and go to college right outside Boston.

    What do u think of like the lifestyle (weather, food, recreational stuff, pace of life)?

    I'm Patrick btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryouga View Post
    Isahaya-shi. Looking forward to checking this place out. I didn't really get the chance to visit this chunk of Japan last year when I was abroad.

    So I guess my big question is how does Nagasaki compare to Kyoto as a city? I lived there for nine months and liked the size.
    Hey guys, The NagaskiJET website( NagasakiJET ) was launched today so please register and introduce yourselves. I'm sure the current alts from Nags will begin to populate the site soon with area-specific info. Who knows, you may even find your pred! Cheers


  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    o i had another question btw. i'm going to be placed in unzen and am wondering if there is a surf culture in the nagasaki prefecture. i've always wanted to try it out and i'm wondering if surfing is a recreational option in that area?

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    Nagasaki-shi CIR sounding off for the thread. Hope to meet you guys soon!

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Obama-cho, Unzen-shi
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

    @Katie and sunshinebeauty27
    Can you believe that I've waited till I'm about to leave Japan to register on ITIL? Sorry I can't make your birthday parties!

    @patleezy
    Unfortunately, there isn't much of a surf culture here. There aren't much waves to catch (and boards are ridiculously priced). I'm from LA too, and I'm finishing up my 2nd year teaching in Obama-cho, Unzen-shi. I have all the deets on the area. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    wow, that's a bummer...

    hey celeste, so I'm guessing ur my predecessor then? can I just shoot u a personal email to get a feel for the particulars? Lemme know.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Trinidad ------> Sasebo shi, Nagasaki ken
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    @Katie and sunshinebeauty27
    Can you believe that I've waited till I'm about to leave Japan to register on ITIL? Sorry I can't make your birthday parties!
    Whoa Cellie! I can"t believe this is your first post! You haven't missed much on itil so no worries. I only visit the forum when there will be newbies. We missed you at the party and I'm still bummed about the 90s party. Prepare to be stalked during Kousoutai! Let me know when you'll be in Nags. I haven't decided what I'll watch on Sunday and Monday!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nagasaki
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebeauty27 View Post
    I'm still bummed about the 90s party. Prepare to be stalked during Kousoutai! Let me know when you'll be in Nags. I haven't decided what I'll watch on Sunday and Monday!
    Yeah.. I was expecting to see you there!! But I was glad I got to see you Friday night!

    I recomend Soccer in Shimabara on Sunday (although that might be a bit far for you) and Kyudo in Omura on Monday!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •