Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

I just got my placement today (upgraded alternate), and I'm going to be on the island of Tsushima. Despite the existence of this thread: http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying-jet/5208-tsushima-nagasaki-did-i-just-get-screwed.html I think I'll like it alright. Anyone here know much about it, or if there are any other JETs there? I think I'll try PM'ing the OP of that thread and see how he ended up liking it.

Default Re: NAGASAKI Newbies, where are you??

everyone i know there loves it.

Hello Nagasaki JETs,
    I'm reaching out to you from Shiga-ken. I have been looking for a kayak/canoe rental shop in the Nagasaki City area and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering if any of you know of a place I can rent one. I don't want a class or tour, just the boat for a day. Any ideas? I'm planning a holiday there and want to explore the coastline by boat if possible. Any help is appreciated. Please reply to this or send an email to dusty.wittman@gmail.com.
    Yoroshiku!
    Cheers,
    Dusty

I just wanted to send a welcome to the new Nagasaki JETs~ I'm not going to gush and say we're "OMG teh totally bestest evar!!!11!!!1!!" but Nagasaki is a pretty good place to live. Outside of the cities, it's pretty rural, so you'll get to feel what real Japan is like without modern conveniences being inaccessible. It's the best of both worlds.

But beware - we're one of the most spread out prefectures in Japan (swiss cheese-d with bays, islands and uneven coastline). Having a car makes life much easier for fun adventure times, but you can get by on trains like I have. Just make friends with someone with a car! (^-^)

I'm making way this year, so I'm also looking for my replacement. If you're going to Kawatana-cho, send me a message!

Hi I'm an Irish Jet named Emma I'm 21 studied history and Classics at NUI Maynooth and I just found out I'm coming to Nagasaki

Hi Emma, welcome to Nagasaki-ken! Do you know where in the ken you will be placed or are you in Nagasaki-shi? Feel free to send me a PM if you need any info. I live in Omura - right by the Nagasaki airport.
    The world is a book and those who do not travel read only the first page

Hi Japaniki, thank you so much! Um I'm not too sure as the email sent out by the Irish Jet desk just read "I am delighted to inform you that you have been assigned to Nagasaki Prefecture during your time on the JET Programme." so I'm not to clear on if that means Nagasaki city or anywhere ha ha. Can i ask what kind of Hobbies and activities there are to do In Nagasaki and what makes it a great placement for you ?

Hello everyone! Just wanted to stop by and say hello, as I will be heading to Nagasaki-shi on January 22nd, 2013, to be a late-upgrade / replacement ALT / what have you. I'm excited, and more than a bit nervous, since I'm starting off in the middle of the year.

A little about me... My name's Evan. I'm really into photography, graphic design, making electronic music, playing video games, and driving / photographing / customizing cars. I grew up in Detroit-area Michigan, and have lived in California most of the last 8 years (mostly in San Francisco, but I've been living in LA this past few months).

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I thought I'd give it a bump!
    Last edited by electrofreeze; December 16th, 2012 at 01:14.

Hi! Welcome to the boards and congrats on your upgrade (I'm really amazed). I'm not in Nagasaki, but you also might wanna try to see if there's a facebook group for your area too.

Come share your woot (late upgrade! woot!) in the Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the boards and congrats on your upgrade (I'm really amazed). I'm not in Nagasaki, but you also might wanna try to see if there's a facebook group for your area too.

Come share your woot (late upgrade! woot!) in the Lounge
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah, I was very surprised to be upgraded. I got the call two weeks ago, long after I'd figured that I didn't make the cut, and had moved cross-country, back to California. Right now I'm scrambling to tie up loose ends here in LA, then will be spending the next month back in Michigan, packing and sorting like a madman and getting some quality time in with my family. After that, it's off to Japan!

Congratulations on your upgrade! I'm not based in Nagasaki, but I thought I'd send you a hearty congrats. Soak up the family-ness as much as you're able.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Congratulations on your upgrade! I'm not based in Nagasaki, but I thought I'd send you a hearty congrats. Soak up the family-ness as much as you're able.
    Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to it :-)

Trinidad ------> Sasebo shi, Nagasaki ken

2013 placements should be out any day now (if it's not out already)! If you are coming to Nagasaki, introduce yourself!

Hi everyone! I'm a Brisbane (Aus) short-list ALT and I've just found out I'm placed in Matsuura-shi!! I'm super excited and have been madly google mapping my future city. I've seen from the Incoming Australian JET facebook group that there's one other Aussie ALT coming to Matsuura.

I can't wait to meet all the other Nagasaki-ken JETs. Does anyone have any info on Matsuura? There isn't much on the web.

Welcome. Not Nagasaki but Fukuoka so we're neighbors. We get a lot of the Sasebo guys from the naval base popping into our clubs on the weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Awesome. I've gotten a bit of an impression that Fukuoka is the place to be on Kyushu so I'm sure I'll be heading up there a bit myself.