Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyogo JETs 2010

Default Hyogo JETs 2010

Any other JETs who are going to be in Hyogo? I know we have a few Kobe-shi JETs around.

Any ITIL vets care to weigh in?

Links:
    A list of prefectural SHSs in Hyogo

HyogoAJet
    Last edited by Scotchward; May 19th, 2010 at 11:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthsauce View Post
    scotchward's superpower is: singlet singularity.

Anyone here a lucky Awaji JET?
    I'm taking off this year and would love to find my sucessor (I found mine on here two years ago!).

If you're contracting org is Hyogo BOE, you'll probably be placed in a high school somewhere in Hyogo-ken.

Exciting!!! Good luck this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by candiedapple View Post
    Anyone here a lucky Awaji JET?
    I'm taking off this year and would love to find my sucessor (I found mine on here two years ago!).

If you're contracting org is Hyogo BOE, you'll probably be placed in a high school somewhere in Hyogo-ken.

Exciting!!! Good luck this summer!
    I don't think we find out our specific placements for quite some time yet though .

Are you a Hyogo BoE JET then? I hear that Awaji is really nice.

I'm not... I'm currently an JHS JET employed by a local BOE in Awaji. Awaji is beautiful!!! You're definitely lucky you're in Hyogo

Default Re: Hyogo JETs 2010

Hopefully you're in the southeastern area of the prefecture, that's all I'm gonna say to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartNana View Post
    Hopefully you're in the southeastern area of the prefecture, that's all I'm gonna say to you guys.
    The only person I have seen complain about their Hyogo placement was puma (the same puma who requested Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka )

Well, even if you're not as far up as Puma, there's still places that are like, 2+ hours from kobe, the nearest big city. (Nishiwaki, for example) It would be a lot nicer to be closer to major cities. Just because you don't see people actively complain on ITIL or bigdaikon doesn't mean there aren't people in those cities who wish they were closer.

If you don't mind the middle of nowhere and being that far from a major city, then more power to you. But Kobe area is generally the best part of Hyogo.

But hey, what do I know? I guess I shouldn't have weighed in like you said, since with a reply like that, you obviously know everything already.
    Last edited by HeartNana; May 19th, 2010 at 08:14.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

I think the biggest problem with "advice" like this is that it does nothing to help anyone and stresses people out before they even know where they're going. And I don't mean to target you specifically, HeartNana, since these sorts of replies are all over the board right now. It's probably an outlet for frustration or something (I don't even know).

And your second reply was much more helpful. Shoulda said something like that in the first place.

And just to keep things on topic: how many super-far-north Hyogo placements are there, relative to the ones closer to Kobe? I wonder how likely it is that another ITILer is going to be way waaaay up in the boonies...
    Last edited by mrfahrenheit; May 19th, 2010 at 08:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    They're FUCKING MEETING ABOUT POTATOES AGAIN

Well, even if you're not as far up as Puma, there's still places that are like, 2+ hours from kobe, the nearest big city. (Nishiwaki, for example) It would be a lot nicer to be closer to major cities. Just because you don't see people actively complain on ITIL or bigdaikon doesn't mean there aren't people in those cities who wish they were closer.

If you don't mind the middle of nowhere and being that far from a major city, then more power to you. But Kobe area is generally the best part of Hyogo.

But hey, what do I know? I guess I shouldn't have weighed in like you said, since with a reply like that, you obviously know everything already.
    I'm sure you are right, and I do definitely want to be as close to Kobe as possible - but if I am in Ako or something and I need to take an hour to get there, I don't think I will be too upset.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    And just to keep things on topic: how many super-far-north Hyogo placements are there, relative to the ones closer to Kobe? I wonder how likely it is that another ITILer is going to be way waaaay up in the boonies...
    It's not really even the far north placements that I'm warning about, cause there aren't that many. It's more like the ones that just make it a pain to get to Kobe.

Yea, it's good to be positive about wherever you end up, but I think you should brace yourself beforehand and come to terms with being realistic about wherever you end up so you're not overwhelmed when you get here.

One thing that I don't like about my small town is that I constantly run into students, and I wish I could just privately go out to the grocery store, or the dept store without having students see me. One student sees buying something, the next thing you know, a buncha them are asking me questions about it the next day. I prefer to keep my private life and work life seperate.

The next closest town over is 45 minutes by bike, and between here and there, there's absolutely nothing, and its not like there's even much in that other town either.

If i lived closer to Kobe, or was in a bigger city, I could easily go somewhere where I most likely wouldn't run into students. Everything else about my placement is great, but I leave every weekend because I want to be able to go out without feeling like I'm being watched, and it would be nicer if it didn't take 90 minutes to the nearest big city.

Scotchward - An hour isn't too bad, depending on how good your actual placement is (how good is your apt, how much of rent is already paid for, etc). Just know that Hyogo is huge, and there's plenty of smaller towns that you might get sent to. Some people like rural, and suburban towns aren't bad, but it really boils down to, the closer to a big city, the better.

It's not really even the far north placements that I'm warning about, cause there aren't that many. It's more like the ones that just make it a pain to get to Kobe.

Yea, it's good to be positive about wherever you end up, but I think you should brace yourself beforehand and come to terms with being realistic about wherever you end up so you're not overwhelmed when you get here.

One thing that I don't like about my small town is that I constantly run into students, and I wish I could just privately go out to the grocery store, or the dept store without having students see me. One student sees buying something, the next thing you know, a buncha them are asking me questions about it the next day. I prefer to keep my private life and work life seperate.

The next closest town over is 45 minutes by bike, and between here and there, there's absolutely nothing, and its not like there's even much in that other town either.

If i lived closer to Kobe, or was in a bigger city, I could easily go somewhere where I most likely wouldn't run into students. Everything else about my placement is great, but I leave every weekend because I want to be able to go out without feeling like I'm being watched, and it would be nicer if it didn't take 90 minutes to the nearest big city.

Scotchward - An hour isn't too bad, depending on how good your actual placement is (how good is your apt, how much of rent is already paid for, etc). Just know that Hyogo is huge, and there's plenty of smaller towns that you might get sent to. Some people like rural, and suburban towns aren't bad, but it really boils down to, the closer to a big city, the better.
    Yeah thanks - I completely get that. Personally I am hoping to get somewhere like Nishinomiya or Takarazuka, but I guess I will have to wait and see. I do realise I have to be realistic about wherever I am placed though .

How long does it take for you to get to Kobe/a major city by rail/car?

By car, probably 50 minutes to Sannomiya (note that I don't have a car, nor am i allowed to drive). By bus, depending on traffic and how many stops, anywhere from 70-90 minutes. By train, it takes about an hour and a half.

It's not that expensive either (740 for the bus, 820 for the train), but the bus only comes once an hour, and there's no express train, it's all local the entire way. That's just to kobe. When I go to Osaka, you can add another 30-45 minutes onto that trip.

Nishinomiya is pretty much the bomb placement. Small apt, but great location. Hope for the best, but brace yourself for the worst.
    Last edited by HeartNana; May 19th, 2010 at 10:26.

I am prepared. I was told by a current JET from my consulate that he knows 3 Hyogo BoE JETs from my consulate leaving, 1 from Nishinomiya, 1 from Takarazuka and 1 working in Kobe SHSs. He also said that we usually replace people from our consulate (going by his and their preds). That gives me some hope, but I know I can still be put out in the Inaka.

For other Hyogo BoE JETs here is a list of SHSs in Hyogo (translated):

Google Translate
    Last edited by Scotchward; May 19th, 2010 at 11:01.

Nishinomiya has at least 2 spots opening up... one girl leaving from Scotland and a guy leaving from Jamaica, both working at an excellent school. I want to meet my new neighbors! Nishinomiya is a great city to live in, but unfortunately there is a bit of a curse because our group of JETs has never been close (and never in past years either). I still haven't met one of the new guys who came last year and he lives across the street!

I agree that southeastern Hyogo is probably best if you're looking for city life, but if you want a laid back lifestyle in the country then northern Hyogo might be ok.
    Last edited by JackAttack; May 19th, 2010 at 11:18.

God have mercy on whoever gets puma's placement
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Nishinomiya has at least 2 spots opening up... one girl leaving from Scotland and a guy leaving from Jamaica, both working at an excellent school. I want to meet my new neighbors! Nishinomiya is a great city to live in, but unfortunately there is a bit of a curse because our group of JETs has never been close (and never in past years either). I still haven't met one of the new guys who came last year and he lives across the street!

I agree that southeastern Hyogo is probably best if you're looking for city life, but if you want a laid back lifestyle in the country then northern Hyogo might be ok.
    Cheers Jack. Are most Hyogo BoE placements around the South East area then? It seems to be where the largest concentration of the populace is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchward View Post
    Cheers Jack. Are most Hyogo BoE placements around the South East area then? It seems to be where the largest concentration of the populace is.
    Ummm I think most are somewhere along the southern coast anywhere from Himeji to the Osaka border.

I know there's quite a few JETs up in the inaka north and I think they're a pretty close group of people.

Cool - any info you can give on working for the Hyogo BoE?

Hmmm.... Hyogo BoE JETs will be placed at a base high school and maybe have a (hopefully) nearby visit school. They really messed this up one year and had ALTs traveling all over. You'll probably inherit the old ALT's apartment so no worries about key money. First payday will be August 16, but group A peeps will get paid for their July time a bit earlier. (My school gave me an envelope of money when I got there.) We pretty much have no contact with our BoE except for when first arriving in Japan and mid-year seminar. Be ready for good times at the prefecture orientation in August too!

You can get placed anywhere in the prefecture, including Kobe. Though people who were given a specific Kobe-shi placement are completely separate from us. *please see Kobe thread if this is you*

Oh and btw, one of the Nishinomiya JETs has a pretty huge apartment with a great view of Osaka. Costs about 6 man/month, though.

I figured I'd post here as well. I am also going to Hyogo, specifically, Tanba City. Its on the Eastern side of Hyogo and a bit of a commute from Kobe, Osaka and Kyoto (all range from 1 1/2 to 2 hours though, so not to shabby). Looks to be an amazing place though.
    "Psychologically, you have to have confidence in yourself and this confidence should be based on fact."