Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Miyazaki JETs - where? Here!

Default New Miyazaki JETs - where? Here!

Current recontracting first year Miyazaki JET here, know we've got new recruits coming nearby so I'm wondering where you are!

If you're like me and got placed here 'cos you didn't make a placement request (how many have heard of Miyazaki?), you made the right choice, as Miyazaki has Japan's friendliest people, and the most beautiful coastline, if I do say so myself.. ^^, Be prepared it also gets very hot, and I remember I was able to spend my first weeks here swimming in the sea at midnight!

Hey,

I haven't yet got my placement details

but I put Miyazaki down as my first placement choice so have got my fingers very tightly crossed and I happen to know of at least one other person who did too, so it's definately in demand!

Good to know you're recontracting though, clearly you had a good year...
    would love to hear more about miyazaki life if you've got time, though will have to be very careful not to get too excited and be counting chickens.

Default Re: New Miyazaki JETs - where? Here!

Miyazaki is really nice, I'm recontracting for my second year too. The weather's usually pretty nice, and it's easy to get into the bigger cities, so there's typically something for everyone, expecially if you like traditional Japanese crafts and theatre. The people are all super nice, especially the old folks. Aside from the current beef and pork scare it's a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    most beautiful coastline, if I do say so myself.. ^^, Be prepared it also gets very hot, and I remember I was able to spend my first weeks here swimming in the sea at midnight!
    As Amaya has said, Miyazaki has some good coastline. It has the reputation of having the best beaches on "mainland" Japan. Truthfully tho... being from Hawaii... I wasn't impressed... But Hawaii's beaches have spoiled me. I'm sure that others will find it to be awesome.

As for me... I'm in Miyakonojo which is in the Miyakonojo Basin (read: mountains) and I'd like to report that Miyazaki's mountainside is also awesome! We have awesome hiking up in the Kirishima Mountain Range, but if that wasn't enough! There's an onsen resort town there as well! There's nothing like a long, hard day's hike and then resting your weary muscles in the onsens. In the Winter, there's an outdoor skating rink and a little bit of snow... not much tho (well... the 3 years that i've been here)

Lastly, the real reason I'm here is to find the new Miyakonojo / Mimata JETs. I'm the block leader of that area, so I'd like to A) get some info to them, so they know what to expect, B) Answer any questions, and C) get them in contact w/ their preds. so that both of U can hammer out the details of the transition. U guys out there?
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” - Plato

I live in Johannesburg, originally from Durban though.

Hello Miyazaki Jets!!!
    Nice to meet you!! I'm thrilled to be heading there this year, it was my second choice. Originally I come from the coast in SA and since I've been inland for the last 7 years I've missed the ocean so much. I really hope I'm placed somewhere where I can see the sea.

I really dont know anything more about my placement other than my email saying Miyazaki-ken, Miyazaki-ken. I've heard i can expect to hear more in 3 weeks time or so. Here's hoping. It's been a long wait to hear this much

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    I really dont know anything more about my placement other than my email saying Miyazaki-ken, Miyazaki-ken.
    Did the email say Miyazaki-ken, Miyazaki-ken or did it say Miyazaki-SHI, Miyazaki-ken? If it said only Miyazaki-Ken, then yur teaching high school. If it said Miyazaki-SHI, then U'll prob. B teaching elem. and inter. school.
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma808 View Post
    Did the email say Miyazaki-ken, Miyazaki-ken or did it say Miyazaki-SHI, Miyazaki-ken? If it said only Miyazaki-Ken, then yur teaching high school. If it said Miyazaki-SHI, then U'll prob. B teaching elem. and inter. school.
    Hi,
    It said just Miyazaki-ken, Miyazaki-ken so I'm also guessing its a prefectural placement. I hope we hear from our preds soon. I'm concerned how much my key money etc will be. I would love to have specific info for a change.

ps- Daruma808 I'm checking out the website you mentioned. Its nice! With new things to know about Miyazaki!
    Last edited by Buttermilk; June 2nd, 2010 at 05:56. Reason: extra note

Chances are good that you won't have to pay for key money. I haven't heard of anyone paying for key money in Miyazaki. ESPECIALLY if you're moving into your pred's apt. If it's a new apt. (no JET was living there previously) then U MIGHT have to pay key money... but still... i doubt it.

Last year we got our info about the noobs a little after the middle of this month. So around the 20th??? So there's still a little time.

Here in the Jo, we have 4 openings. We already know our municipal replacement, but still no info on the 3 Prefecturals. We got 2 academic schools and 1 industrial school with openings.

I don't know if you guys heard... but Miyazaki is fighting a SERIOUS case of foot and mouth disease now. In order to keep from spreading the disease, ALL public events are canceled... which sucks... but gotta do what ya gotta do. What does this mean? This means, that when you arrive, there may be no summer festivals and other fun gatherings that we usually have. Solution? Make friends w/ a senpai fast so that hopefully U can tag along w/ them if they go to a neighboring prefecture's festival! =P Hopefully we can get this damn thing under control soon though. =(

Hi! Its a relief to know that the chances of not having to worry about key money are good.

Around the 20th only I guess add a few days after that for paperwork and then maybe we might know our side yes?

Yeah I did see the news about the Foot and Mouth disease. Its terrible. Thanks for the heads up on the events being canceled, I'll be more prepared.

Thanks for all the info, its been really helpful.

No problemo. Just pay it forward if U stay a 2nd year. Help the noobs when they arrive.

I'd say that you should be contacted but the end of the month at the latest... (but don't quote me on that) I think the odds are good that you'll B contacted sometime this week though.

Let me know when ya find out! =)

Hello! I'm also a new Miyazaki ALT. So far I only know that I'm in Miyazaki prefecture, so am in the same boat as Buttermilk. I didn't put a preference on my application but I am SO GLAD I got this prefecture. I love the sea, hiking, sun, mountains, history, man you guys have it all! I'm 21, from New Zealand. Can't wait.
    Last edited by tiffany_allan; June 25th, 2010 at 14:46.

Since both of you will most likely be high schools ALTs, you'll be put in one of the nicer cities, like Miyazaki City or Nobeoka. I think there were at least another one or two bigger cities that needed high school ALTs, but no matter which city you're put in it'll be really enjoyable.

Thankyou! I found out yesterday I'm in Obi, Nichinan City. I'm so happy about it, I'm going to be near a castle! What could be better!!

Hi All. I am an incoming Miyazaki JET from Melbourne, Australia. Have not yet heard where exactly I will be living but will hopefully find out soon! I actually applied for Hokkaido so was a little surprised when i received Miyazaki, but that's how it goes i guess. Looking forward to meeting recontracting and new JETs in about a month. lg

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany_allan View Post
    Thankyou! I found out yesterday I'm in Obi, Nichinan City. I'm so happy about it, I'm going to be near a castle! What could be better!!
    Well... not to burst your bubble... but Obi "Castle" doesn't have an actual factual castle there... it's the remains of a castle. The main gate is still there, along w/ some buildings and old samurai houses, but not the main keep and any turrets. There's also an elementary school IN the castle grounds! lol! I thought that was pretty cool! On New Years Eve, U can ring in the new year there. There's a big bell and if U show up early, U can pull a number. I forgot how many "significant" numbers there were... I'm going to guess 152... just a wild guess... Each ring is supposed to represent one of the earthly desires that Buddhist try to get rid of. So yur in effect ringing out the bad earthly desires.

There are many events there related to the history of that town and the castle. Although it's not a "real" castle, the area is very quaint and relaxing. Beautiful area. You'll most likely want a car though... It's a rather small town. Don't count on public transportation ANYWHERE in Zaki. U MAY B able to live w/o a car in Miyazaki City (the biggest city), but still... a car will improve your standard of living DRASTICALLY!

Oh! There's also portions on the street where the GUTTERS have live koi in them!

Ummm... that's all I can think of about Obi...

Oh, I spoke w/ someone from the Prefectural Office and it seems that we should be finding out about the noobs sometime this week. Sooo, expect to be contacted by your pred. soon all of U soon to be prefectural JETs!

Seems that they had the info for a while... but for some odd reason, have been holding off on releasing the info... =/ The person couldn't give me exact details, but I got some hints concerning the new JETs in my block. We have 4 open slots, and we're getting 2 guys and 2 girls. 3 of whom, have last names starting with a "W". Is that any of you? ;-) I know ONE of the "W's" already...

Quote Originally Posted by roku View Post
    I actually applied for Hokkaido so was a little surprised when i received Miyazaki, but that's how it goes i guess. lg
    I actually know several people like you. They requested way up North, and they ended up getting the dirty South. =P My friend that came the same year as me requested Hokkaido and got a puny island S. of Kagoshima Proper. Sooo... it could be worse. My opinion is, as long as you're not on some remote island, you got a good placement. =) Actually... I've heard some horror stories about some Hokkaido placements. Some placements there seem to be worse than an island placement... so U may have lucked out! =) BTW, are you an alternate? That could be a reason as well.

Thanks Daruma! It's okay my bubble is still intact, Samurai houses?!! Koi in the gutters?! Fantastic. Thanks for the tidbit of info, I google frantically but it's not the same.

I won't be driving as I don't have my full licence in NZ, suppose I'll just have to bring running shoes haha

[QUOTE=tiffany_allan;601839]Thanks Daruma! It's okay my bubble is still intact, Samurai houses?!! Koi in the gutters?! Fantastic. Thanks for the tidbit of info, I google frantically but it's not the same.

Here's some pics of Obi Castle. Oh, forgot to mention that U can try your hand at Japanese archery.
    Kiсj

The blue kimono guys are what the Obi Samurai used to wear. I personally think it looks girly... =P

There's also a pic of the koi in the gutter here.
    K `Aeru킩΁ṽPn` - gbvy[W

Awesome. Thankyou! I'm definitely going to try the archery.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma808 View Post
    No problemo. Just pay it forward if U stay a 2nd year. Help the noobs when they arrive.

I'd say that you should be contacted but the end of the month at the latest... (but don't quote me on that) I think the odds are good that you'll B contacted sometime this week though.

Let me know when ya find out! =)

Hi guys, sorry for taking so long to reply, these last few days have been nuts.

Daruma808, I hope to stay a 2nd year and I believe in paying it forward too. Thanks for passing on the info to us. The wait is so nerve wrecking. No W's here though. Only a T.

Tiffany, hey Thanks for the info on facebook. I'm sitting at my aunt and uncles place hundreds of km's away from home and now really wishing my postbox was closer.

Hey Roku, welcome! I wanted anywhere other than Hokkaido. lol. The cold and I arent friends. But I'd love to visit up there for some of their festivals. They look great! With the exception of the Foot and Mouth in Miyazaki I've only heard good things about this place. Even the chap at the Embassy said that this is a great placement. I'm sure you'll find some nice things to interest you there too.