Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Miyazaki JETs - where? Here!

Default Re: New Miyazaki JETs - where? Here!

Thanks for the welcome Buttermilk. Daruma I am not an alternate. I found out yesterday that I will be living in Ebino. I have done a bit of googling and it looks really beautiful there. Quite remote but my pred. is selling their car so will have my own transport. I keep reading that a car is essential in Miyazaki!!

Quote Originally Posted by roku View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Buttermilk. Daruma I am not an alternate. I found out yesterday that I will be living in Ebino. I have done a bit of googling and it looks really beautiful there. Quite remote but my pred. is selling their car so will have my own transport. I keep reading that a car is essential in Miyazaki!!
    I think I may know your pred. Married couple right?

I never really looked at where Ebino "proper" was on a map till just now. I always assumed it was near "Ebino plateau". Looks like a very good location (geographically) You're right at the junction of the expressway and train lines. So you can head into Kagoshima, Kumamoto, and Miyazaki pretty easily. So, although Ebino "City" itself is rather small, U can get out of it pretty easily.

Yes, cars are HIGHLY recommended ANYWHERE in Japan that's not one of the major cities. Catching trains is hella expensive! It adds up quick! Not only that, because we're kinda inaka, the frequency isn't as often as one would like and the trains aren't too fast either... The tracks in your area are not the "main" line. The main line follows the coast from Kagoshima up into Kumamoto and one day will B connected up w/ Fukuoka. (Shinkansen) The good thing about living near an expressway is that there are "highway buses" that you can catch for long distance traveling. It's like a train... but on a bus on an expressway. =P It's is the cheapest most convenient way to do major traveling.

e.g. If you want to leave the country... U prob. want to fly out of Fukuoka Airport. Therefore, U'd catch the bus from Ebino up to Hakata, Fukuoka jump on the plane and head to either Narita, Kansai, Nagoya, Incheon, or Taiwan (the 5 MAJOR international airports in the area). Then to wherever it is your heart desires. I personally recommend flying to Incheon.

Ebino has a lot of mountain type nature. I like that area a lot. I try to head into the mountains (Ebino Plateau area) at least once a month. It's really peaceful and relaxing. There's a onsen resort town near Ebino Plateau, a skating rink, a small sorta theme park (hmmm... dunno if theme is the right word...), horseback riding, GREAT hiking!, a small astronomical observatory, BEAUTIFUL views w/ seasonal flowers/plants, many farms, etc. etc.

It's a good spot. you'll like it. =)
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” - Plato

Thanks Daramu. I've since been in touch with my pred (yes married couple) and have been getting lots of really useful info similar to what you have posted. It's good to know that I'll have easy access to major cities and everything on the way using either the train bus or car.

I live in Johannesburg, originally from Durban though.

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know I finally am in contact with my pred!!! I'm headed for Miyazaki-shi. It looks like a great placement and my pred has been so helpful and nice

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Hi guys, just wanted to let you know I finally am in contact with my pred!!! I'm headed for Miyazaki-shi. It looks like a great placement and my pred has been so helpful and nice
    Yeah, successor info was sent out on Wednesday to everyone in the Ken. So everyone should know their placements by now.

I'm still searching for one more person in my block. R U out there?
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by roku View Post
    Thanks Daramu. I've since been in touch with my pred (yes married couple) and have been getting lots of really useful info similar to what you have posted. It's good to know that I'll have easy access to major cities and everything on the way using either the train bus or car.
    Hey Roku,
    Where you will be in Ebino, you will benefit in having a car. Still, I wanted to encourage other JETs out there who don't plan on getting a car that they shouldn't panic.
    We were told up and down that we NEEDED a car...not just to get to the big city centers, but to travel around our city.
    Well, it turned out not to be the case.

Yes, my husband and I live in Nobeoka, so we benefit from living right on a train line...but we almost never go to Miyazaki city.
    Maybe once every 2 months.
    We bike every day and we love it...great exercise and so so cheap.
    My school is 25 minutes from my house... there is another ALT here who bikes further...he never even knew how to ride a bike until he got here! He swears by it still.

So if you've got a car in the bag, great! It will come in handy.
    If you don't, I think you will live. Of course it depends on the kind of person you are and definitely depends on the town you end up in. Still, don't panic until you get to your town and see the situation for yourself.

Cheers!

So how is everybody going? Personally I am really happy to be in Ebino, have already been doing a bit of sight seeing in around the place, Ebino Kougen, Kuruson, Magane Hashi and have been to Kobayashi a couple of times. Really like the vibe here and the people have been super friendly

Haha it's so cool to come back to this after 6 months of actually living here and seeing you guys as real people! Happy half anniversary first years XD

Just wanting to say welcome to any Miyazaki JETs that may be out there. It's an absolutely wonderful prefecture and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your placement here. Feel free to ask any questions about life in Miyazaki and I'll do my best to find an answer.

I have a friend (who doesn't like forums) who will be going to Miyazaki this year. Her town is Nichinan and her initials are CG, American, LA consulate if I remember correctly. If you have any contacts/info/her pred that you could pass on, we'd both really appreciate it! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    I have a friend (who doesn't like forums) who will be going to Miyazaki this year. Her town is Nichinan and her initials are CG, American, LA consulate if I remember correctly. If you have any contacts/info/her pred that you could pass on, we'd both really appreciate it! Thanks!
    Hmm, I'm not exactly sure where a lot of people are outside of the city. I would suggest finding the Miyazaki facebook group here (I think that should work!) Most JETs are on there and someone will probably know who to get in contact with. Nichinan is absolutely gorgeous! If the link doesn't work, PM me and I'll see about how to get your friend added to the group!

It worked fine! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Im currently living in nichinan and my friend is the one she will be replacing! tell her to hit up the forums for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu
    I have a friend (who doesn't like forums)
    Quote Originally Posted by tint02 View Post
    tell her to hit up the forums for all the info
    Show a bit of respect for the different backgrounds people come from, please! The lady already said her friend is worried about forums, she doesn't need to be badgered.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    Show a bit of respect for the different backgrounds people come from, please! The lady already said her friend is worried about forums, she doesn't need to be badgered.
    christ on a cracker man, chillax, all the info this person needs is on the forums. they dont have to comment just take a look. psh....