Thread: Theatre in Oita?

Banned

Default Theatre in Oita?

I'm a theatre kid just assigned to Oita ken, just wondering if anyone knows of any theatre related anything a geigin like myself might be able to get involved in (workshops, companies, even just a theatre)? I was kind of hoping to learn more about traditional Japanese theatre during my stay.

Default Re: Theatre in Oita?

What is geigin?

I'm in Fukuoka, next door to Oita, and there are a few amateur theater groups that travel around doing plays in community centers and such, but I think it would clash with the JET work schedule and you need to be quite fluent at Japanese.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Banned

Ha! I meant gaijin, I spell like Mr. Potatohead at times. If I cant be involved at least I might have the opportunity to see some Japanese theatre, I suppose it'll have to do.

Are we talking contemporary theatre?

Or Kabuki/Noh? You'll be able to see that kind of stuff quite a bit, fret not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

The hokkaido jet association has a touring theatre group that does a musical every year. Ask your pred or anyone else if they are aware of anything like this.
    guys, im not playing anymore

Banned

Wow Tender, that sounds great. I will check it out. Thanks

Hello
    Last edited by KaiKinapela; May 11th, 2016 at 10:16.

Banned

Hi Kai!! So exciting! I have no idea where I'll be placed within Oita just yet, wont hear until after the 27th. Would you have any general advice living there though, theatre or no theatre?

I lived in Oita-shi for a year. I remember the occasional visiting event but then again I also wasn't really looking out for it. I know there is a dedicated noh hall. Outside of Oita-shi though there might not be a lot of stuff going on. Good luck, it's a great little prefecture.

Rolo
    Last edited by KaiKinapela; May 11th, 2016 at 10:16.

For general info, go to the official JET forums.

There have been a number of mail-outs about opportunities to get involved in traditional Japanese theatre but if you don't have a high level of Japanese you will find it challenging. When you have arrived and got settled in ask our lovely PAs and teachers at your school. There are bound to be opportunities.