Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inaka Life, Could Someone Outline This?

Default Inaka Life, Could Someone Outline This?

Got placed in the inaka, could someone outline life there

when i looked up the definition i got:

"Inaka (田舎, inaka?) is a Japanese term meaning a rural area or the countryside. When said by people on the JET Programme, it is often used as a pejorative about places outside the major metropolitan areas, highlighting the lack desirable urban features - bars, shops, general entertainment, young people etc. "

basically what it sounds like to me is its a boring place to live

is this true (and I know ESID but overall what do you guys think?)

"Inaka" just means rural, and the Japanese consider anywhere other than cities with populations in the millions to be rural. Like anywhere else in the world, your situation depends on where you are, and on you. Where are you located?

Default Re: Inaka Life, Could Someone Outline This?

kurihara "city," miyagi

I used the term city in quotes because in actuality it is a county comprised of a few towns

Go about your normal business veterans, and please ignore this thread. We dont want another ban-a-palooza to happen.
    guys, im not playing anymore

that's really not helping
    Last edited by silverx7; May 20th, 2010 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx7 View Post
    kurihara "city," miyagi

I used the term city in quotes because in actuality it is a county comprised of a few towns
    I was in Furukawa Miyagi for a year. Miyagi is great if you are on the Shinkansen line or have a car.

Sendai is a great town, about 1 million or so I think. Has everything one needs (even a good book store)

No car or no shinkansen and life will be tougher but you can always rent a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
    I was in Furukawa Miyagi for a year. Miyagi is great if you are on the Shinkansen line or have a car.

Sendai is a great town, about 1 million or so I think. Has everything one needs (even a good book store)

No car or no shinkansen and life will be tougher but you can always rent a car.
    kurihara has a shinkansen line but i hear its expensive am i wrong?

Got placed in the inaka, could someone outline life there

when i looked up the definition i got:

"Inaka (田舎, inaka?) is a Japanese term meaning a rural area or the countryside. When said by people on the JET Programme, it is often used as a pejorative about places outside the major metropolitan areas, highlighting the lack desirable urban features - bars, shops, general entertainment, young people etc. "

basically what it sounds like to me is its a boring place to live

is this true (and I know ESID but overall what do you guys think?)
    Yes.

kurihara has a shinkansen line but i hear its expensive am i wrong?
    Shinkansen is cheaper than a car.
    I just looked it up you are on the border of Iwate over by Kurikoma Mountain (I thought it looked like a smaller Fuji) Kurikomakogen station is the last station in Miyagi, so there are 2 stations to Sendai and it is 1,100JPY and it takes 22 minutes:
    「くりこま高原」から「仙台」への経路、運賃探索結果 - Yahoo!路線情報

The bus is 1,600JPY and takes an hour and 20 minutes

You like snow?

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

It depends on how you look at it. The inaka tends to not have a whole lot of entertainment, but if you involve yourself in the community, make an effort to get out every once in a while, and enjoy things other than drunken bar-hopping, you might find it to be really wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

Ah good ole Tohoku region.

Anyways, after a bit of research, if you're near Semine station, you'll be an hour/1000 yen away from the biggest city (Sendai city, pop 1 million). If you're near Arikabe station, then you'll be 100 minutes away for 1450 yen. Those are the two main station listed on wikipedia, but once you get there, I'm sure you'll figure it out for yourself.

Pretty much, as said, inaka can mean really boring and in the middle of nowhere, or it can mean any non-major city. In your case, it probably means you'll be seeing rice fields from your front porch or whatever.

Did you put on the application that you're willing to drive? If so, that seems like the kind of location where you'll get a car.

But there's definitely cities and areas smaller than the one you're in. No matter what, you're not gonna be more than 2 hours from a major city, so you can still make a weekend trip if you just want to get out of the countryside. While not the biggest city, a city with a population of 1 million is still big enough to have fun at, i would imagine.

It really depends on your personality when it comes to the countryside. If you're an outgoing social butterfly, you might have trouble. If you're a sullen loner who shuns human contact, you'll probably get along very well.

But, you get to live in nice areas like this:

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7403/img3483r.jpg

And you can always drive into the city. My placement is a 75 minute train ride from Tokyo and a two minute walk from Saitama (hey mothy).
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Not to be mean, but this seems a little silly. Inaka life is just like regular life, without movie theaters. There are stills bars, restaurants, kareoke places, and a ton of other entertainment to be had, just not much variety.

(Note - unless you're Ten_of....then you'll be happy if you have electricty.)
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Not to be mean, but this seems a little silly. Inaka life is just like regular life, without movie theaters. There are stills bars, restaurants, kareoke places, and a ton of other entertainment to be had, just not much variety.

This very very very very very much depends on how inaka he is. I would KILL for a karaoke place within an hour of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    They are like elongated octopi, but with only 6 testicles.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Feel free to take one of mine.

I live in a town of 8000 people and have like 10 of them...

That being said, I hate people and feel like this town is way to crowded, so....
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

I'd like a 7/11 that isn't 22km away.

And I'll have you know my town has had both internet and electricity since 2003!
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

I hope they didnt get those things in that order.... or at the same time..

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post

The thing about living in the inaka is that it tends to be far from the major cities, where you'll usually end up going if you want to meet up with friends. For me, my spot isn't even that inaka, I live in the downtown area and have everything i need to survive within walking distance, and then some. However, being an hour and a half from Kobe means I have to budget that time in when I not only go to the city to meet up with friends, but when I go home. It's not a huge deal, but inaka life also means dealing with the inconvenience of not being very close to stuff. I meet up with friends almost every weekend, but if both me and one of my friends were located in the major cities of our prefectures rather than an hour+ away, it would be easier to hang out.

I'm not complaining about my spot, but I'm just saying there's more downfalls to the inaka than just "lacks a movie theatre". An inaka location 20 minutes outside of the tokyo border is way different from an inaka location on an island 10 hours away by ferry.

However there's sometimes many positives, but both the positives and negatives here tie into the whole ESID thing.
    Last edited by HeartNana; May 20th, 2010 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post

Go about your normal business veterans, and please ignore this thread. We dont want another ban-a-palooza to happen.
    Thanks Tender. You stopped my rage.

Also ESID
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Im in a moderately rural placement, but Ill give you the pros and cons in my opinion. These are just generalizations, of course.

pros
    -supportive and welcoming community (usually)
    -more informal work environment

cons
    -lack of privacy
    -lack of young people
    -having to drive a car

As someone who stressed over her placement to pieces, I suggest coming into with an open mind. Even if you`ve lived in Japan before. Although my life in the inaka is not as fun as study abroad sometimes, I`ve learned a lot more about Japan this time around.

If you are having second thoughts, find out what the working situation is like at your office or school. I think a bad working situation could be douby unbearable in a super inaka placement..
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.