Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inaka Life, Could Someone Outline This?

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    The thing about the country back in the states is that it doesn't suffer the huge birthrate/population problem that the Japanese countryside has.

The inaka in Japan is essentially the same as an American retirement community. More than 50% of the people will be over 65 and there isn't going to be anyone at all between the ages of 19-30 who doesn't work for the government and forced to live there.
    Then then there are often tons and tons of kids running around too, because the parents work in the city while the kids live with the grandparents...
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    My town steals its fibre internet from Saitama (aka Gunma's Pants). They run the line right over the mountains.
    Hahaha I love this!

Default Re: Inaka Life, Could Someone Outline This?

Inaka is a state of mind. My placement city has 100k plus people, several karaoke places, two McDonalds and a KFC (that I know of - probably more), and three (covered!) train stations. And that's not counting the suburbs. I'm 80 minutes from Tokyo, have two combinis within 15 minutes walk, etc. The people who live here all call it inaka.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Your combini is only 30 minutes away? Lucky. and I'm gonna lease a different car.
    Come on now. Once you lease that fancy white plate you'll be able to whip over to your nearest combini in less than 30, eh?

just watch out for gaijin traps

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    I'm a bit embarrassed I still only know half the ES kids' names though.
    yeah, same here, actually. But I only see each ES class once a month, so I don't feel as guilty.....

Banned

I really really hope I get very bumfuck inaka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    I really really hope I get very bumfuck inaka.
    I hope so too. Like someplace so bumfuck they don't even have internet.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

I think unless you are in SERIOUS inaka (meaning no stores/restaurants/ conbinis/ internet) you can do fine.

You'll have to have a car or at least a scooter. You'll have to be good at Japanese or be willing to get better. You'll also probably develop a drinking problem.

Banned

I grew up in bumfuck inaka and we only got internet towards the end of my school years. I'm sure I'd cope. And yes, I'd either get good at Japanese or develop a drinking problem.

Banned

If my doctor tells me to watch my drinking I'll find a bar/tree/room with a mirror.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

They always tell you to 'watch' your drinking. That obviously doesn't mean stop drinking, right?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

I'm not coordinated enough to not watch my drinking.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    someplace so bumfuck they don't even have internet.
    When I first came to my placement, my pred had DAIL-UP. Lived for two years with it.
    When I called NTT to set up internet, they told me Dail-up was all they could offer in my area, but they could get me the highest quality dail-up possible. wtf?
    No way. My school was helping set all this up, and I noticed their internet was decently fast. I asked them how was it possible for them to have fast internet but my only option was dail-up. They were like Oh! well if you want to sign up for cable, you can get this cable internet we have. But you would have to pay for cable and all that.....
    Yes, Please!

Moral of the story - if you're an ALT you will most likely be on the same grid as your school. It would be VERY rare for you not to have internet available.

But yeah, don't set your hopes on fiber optic!
    Last edited by 3ngrishsensei; May 23rd, 2010 at 22:06.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngrishsensei View Post
    When I first came to my placement, my pred had DAIL-UP. Lived for two years with it.
    When I called NTT to set up internet, they told me Dail-up was all they could offer in my area, but they could get me the highest quality dail-up possible. wtf?
    No way. My school was helping set all this up, and I noticed their internet was decently fast. I asked them how was it possible for them to have fast internet but my only option was dail-up. They were like Oh! well if you want to sign up for cable, you can get this cable internet we have. But you would have to pay for cable and all that.....
    Yes, Please!

Moral of the story - if you're an ALT you will most likely be on the same grid as your school. It would be VERY rare for you not to have internet available.

But yeah, don't set your hopes on fiber optic!
    Ok I had the same issue in Amakusa ISDN was all that was available and because it was old or they never changed their prices it was more than the hirkari fibre we have now. When I was closing down my school in Tokyo I asked the NTT guy if all of Japan has fibre and he said well basically yes about 99% (Of Japan, like Honshu. I made the mistake of forgetting that people from Tokyo think "Japan" is)

Fact is that the cities had to pay for the main fibre line and it is not cheap. My town in Amakusa was cheap and would not pay because there were too many old people who would not care (and 3 hospitals who were just SOL) the other side of town had ASDL better than ISDN but still.....

Other fact, if there is a main line near you and there just needs to be a line run to your house/ apartment if there are 2 other (total of 3) subscribers they will run the line (NTT subcontracts that out)

The wireless stuff from Wilcom is cheapest but their service areas are small. Other stuff gets expensive fast with the packet charges. I lived with the ISDN for a year.