Thread: Phonics Games

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Phonics Games

I need some super easy phonics games and I need them fast. We are a month into school and the JTE is still working with the 1st years on the basic sound structures. I've exhausted my bag of tricks to keep things interesting, and could seriously use some help.

So...help?

We're done with vowels, and are moving on to consonants.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

I do matching games where students have to match pictures of words with the same consonant sound initial (ex: shop and shoe), or same consonant sound within a word (nature, picture). Don't forget the irregular patterns of c and g....also the voiced and unvoiced 'th', 'sh', 'ph', 'ch', 'kn'......

If you have a small enough class you can make 1-2 sets of big picture cards, each with one spelling pattern and one match. Lay them face down and and have students (in groups) make a circle around the cards. It's just like memory, students take turns flipping over a card and try to find it's consonant sound match.

For a bigger class, you can make worksheets with different consonant initial sounds and hand them out to students to walk around and try to find another student who has a word with the same sounds.

Also, spelling pattern word searches in the textbook are easy and require no prep. Teach the spelling pattern - sound (ex: 'ph' makes the f sound), and have students race to look up how many ph word they can find in the textbook. Write the words on the board and check to see if they make the right sound. Students can earn 'points' or whatever for finding words that work (if you want).

A good assessment: Make up a worksheet with a bunch of different words that contain the phonics patterns you have taught, but exclude letters of the pattern itself (for example, consonant initals... words listed will be "__at, __ree, __edicine, __urse, ____op etc.") Include pictures with each word if your students need the extra help. Then do a dictation where the students have to listen and fill in using the correct letter or letter combo.

Good luck!

Default Re: Phonics Games

Get some of the kids books from costco or the like. I used them before with kids.

I mean the books for homeschooling/ additional schooling from the states, phonics is big in the lower levels. Loads of ideas and ready made stuff in there.

These ideas sound good.
    I wish my kids are at a high enough level to do that memory game, they still have problems with sounds like m and n and still pronounce S as SUUUU

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

I really like the memory game idea as well. The class is huge, but I can make up some card sets that should work out.

Thanks!
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    These ideas sound good.
    I wish my kids are at a high enough level to do that memory game, they still have problems with sounds like m and n and still pronounce S as SUUUU
    yeah, that can be frustrating.

some tricks with m and n...(you may already know these, but in case it helps...)

have them make the m sound and plug their nose. If they're doing it right the sound should stop.

Have them look at your mouth when you say m and n. Emphasize that your mouth is fully closed with m, and partly open with n. With this, they can at least see the difference if not hear it. ( I also do this will L and R. With L, I emphasize my toungue touching my teeth - I actually stick my toungue out a bit, and with R my mouth is round and my lips make a cricle like I'm saying 'o').
    So now a lot of the kids can't really make the sounds themselves that well, but they can at least see the difference visually when I say them.
    It's progress, right???

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    I really like the memory game idea as well. The class is huge, but I can make up some card sets that should work out.

Thanks!
    good luck! I'm interested to hear how it goes in a huge class....

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Get them into groups, write a sentence in phonics on the board (stuff they know), then get them to work it out as a team. That's what we've been doing,.

Ps our 1nenseis don't do phonics, we start it at the start of 2nensei. The 1nenseis have enough on their plate making sure they know captial and small letters etc
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

I really like phonics karuta in groups of 4 kids. Start out with the basic sounds of the alphabet (/A/ /A/ Apple. /b/ /b/ bag) and they've got to slap the beginning (or ending) letter.

Also, the AJET Foxy Phonics book is pretty awesome. It comes with worksheets similar to what 3ngrishsensei mentioned: they've got to write in the missing letter, or circle it, or match it to a picture.

I have two JTEs, one who is into phonics and one who likes to use the English-speaking teachers as tape-recorders slash corner decorations. Guess whose first years are saying things like, "Miss Madly, please check number one" with perfectly-pronounced Rs and Ls? And guess whose third years still can't write a sentence by themselves?

YAY PHONICS.

A good song for teaching vowel sounds....

You know that song, "I like to eat..eat..eat.. apples and bananas!" etc. etc.? It's perfect because, in the song, the vowel sounds change...

Just sing that song and plug in whatever vowel sounds you're teaching.

For example...

short a / æ/:

"I like to / æ/ t / æ/ t / t / æ/ pples and b / æ/ n / æ/ n / æ/ s....

Now,
    if only I had a song to teach consonants......