Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pred/Successor car situation

Default Pred/Successor car situation

So I have an offer to buy a car from my pred. Where I will be it's probably good to have one. I was just wondering:
    What you paid to get one from your pred?
    What you're selling yours for?
    What is your pred offering you?
    What is too much for a 12 year old car with shakken good for a year?

Sorry if this is lame I'm just anxious about buying a car blind.

Default Re: Pred/Successor car situation

What kind of car is it and what's the mileage? Do you have a picture of both the interior and exterior?

Banned

I've bought cars ranging from 30man to 145man
    I've never sold a car here, either crashed them or given them away for freeeeeeee.
    "a 12 year old car" doesnt really mean much. if its an awful car that nobody likes and suffers from terrible depreciation then it should be cheap, if its an amazing car that holds its value it will still be relatively pricey. a years shaken should add 5-6 man to the value of a car

go to somewhere like 中古車・中古車情報/カーセンサーnet and look up the make and age to get an idea of the value, taking into account the window price of a car is always between 5-30 man under the total price because you need to add on taxes, registration, shaken and delivery

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    So I have an offer to buy a car from my pred. Where I will be it's probably good to have one. I was just wondering:
    What you paid to get one from your pred?
    What you're selling yours for?
    What is your pred offering you?
    What is too much for a 12 year old car with shakken good for a year?

Sorry if this is lame I'm just anxious about buying a car blind.
    I was in the same situation (also a 12-year old car w/ a year of shaken).

I paid $1200 after being relatively sure I wasn't being screwed. I'll probably re-sell it for at least $1000 as I maintained it better than my (Mexican) predecessor.

Anyways, get pics, get the mileage and get its maintanence records. In my case, the local garage had a big file listing everything ever touched on the car, even down to the frequency of the oil changes. They'll be in Japanese, but you can always get someone to translate if you think something's up.

Also, ask your pred if you can break the payments up. I paid mine in two installments of $600 and will offer the same courtesy to my successor.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Its not a bad idea to buy the car if it is a good price and is running good (You haven't provided much info on it so I can't help you there).

I bought a car from a leaving ALT for about 8 man. It was a white plate with 2 years shaken still on it. Had to replace the brakes once for less than a couple man, but that was it.
    A few months ago I wrecked it (and it was even my fault)......
    I DO suggest optional full coverage insurance, if you can get it at a good rate. I had some through Sompo Japan - a special rate only for people who live in my bfe little village. Worked out to be right around 5400yen a month.
    After the accident they covered everything....repairs were reported to be more than what I paid for the car, so they put it towards a car that is quite a bit nicer and newer than my inital one (I got lucky). The new car's shaken isn't until 2012. My insurance only went up about 700yen per month. WAY worth it.

98 subaru manual 100 000km 1 year shakken 240 000yen

Banned

subaru what?
    subaru make everything from kei trucks to rally cars

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    subaru what?
    subaru make everything from kei trucks to rally cars
    Sorry Imprezza wagon

Banned

I'd probably only pay around 20 for that seeing as the mileage is so high. Not sure though, maybe cars are more expensive in hokkaido. If its in perfect condition it might be worth it and buying it from your pred means you will have a car as soon as you arrive. Its on the high side but by no means a rip off, try and negotiate him down a bit

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Isn't that like a boat? I think that is the kind of car my BOE uses...

Anyway, if it is the one I'm thinking of, it should be worth a couple thousand...

EDIT +1 to Azrael

Talk to him, try and talk him down a bit. It seems like a good price, but with only 10 weeks before he leaves, he might take what he can get...
    Last edited by kalliea; May 21st, 2010 at 16:07.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

keep in mind that Hokkaido is pretty damn big and that you'll probably use it a lot as the rail system isn't as extensive as on Honshu. Those big wagons don't quite get the best milage, but they're good for holding lots of snowboarding gear, or for road trips.

20 sounds ok, but see how far you can talk them down. It being a white plate means everything will be slightly more expensive gas, taxes, insurance, even tolls.

Quote Originally Posted by baba hera View Post
    keep in mind that Hokkaido is pretty damn big and that you'll probably use it a lot as the rail system isn't as extensive as on Honshu. Those big wagons don't quite get the best milage, but they're good for holding lots of snowboarding gear, or for road trips.

20 sounds ok, but see how far you can talk them down. It being a white plate means everything will be slightly more expensive gas, taxes, insurance, even tolls.
    They're asking 24

Is it an STI version or regular wagon? Non turbo/turbo? That will make a big diff.

I bought my white-plate car from my predecessor.

It was a big Nissan Cefiro, about 12 years old at the time, and with 16 months of shaken.
    I paid $1500 US for it in three installments. That's a bit high on the scale of JET car prices (mainly since kei-cars are so damn cheap), but I think it was a good deal, and has been indispensable to me where I live. It has needed almost no maintenance or changes besides the mandatory shaken I had to renew last year. I think people get hung up on how "expensive" a car is... keep in mind that ALT cars will be the cheapest you can find in Japan, with very few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    I bought my white-plate car from my predecessor.

It was a big Nissan Cefiro, about 12 years old at the time, and with 16 months of shaken.
    I paid $1500 US for it in three installments. That's a bit high on the scale of JET car prices (mainly since kei-cars are so damn cheap), but I think it was a good deal, and has been indispensable to me where I live. It has needed almost no maintenance or changes besides the mandatory shaken I had to renew last year. I think people get hung up on how "expensive" a car is... keep in mind that ALT cars will be the cheapest you can find in Japan, with very few exceptions.
    My pred is charging a 2400$ (1000$ more than you paid) for a car that is 12 years old but has only 12 months of shakken... I need a car but I know of a used car dealership for only foreigners that takes care of all the paper work and your first year of road taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    My pred is charging a 2400$ (1000$ more than you paid) for a car that is 12 years old but has only 12 months of shakken... I need a car but I know of a used car dealership for only foreigners that takes care of all the paper work and your first year of road taxes...
    It will probably be better to just get in contact with your BOE and give them a monthly range you are willing to pay on a car and let them do the hunting for you. Then when you arrive you can test drive things and such.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Banned

24man really isnt a lot of money for a car. For the sake of an easy life you may as well just buy it.

Jew him down to $2000 if you can. Even $2400 isn't that bad and will save you all kinds of hassle when you arrive. Not to mention, it'll probably be in better shape than a used car place that deals w/ foreigners
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

You guys are insane for buying a car without test driving it.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

how else could you do it with a pred? I'm pretty damn sure they want/need it to be sold before they leave, otherwise, what would they do with it if you decide not to buy it? How can they sell it when they're back home? Certainly not as easy. And while AVN knows some places, there's tons more JETs that would hate to show up in the middle of nowhere, where a car is necessary, and have to navigate buying a freaking car their first few days.

Not ideal, but what's the alternative?
    shortlisted!