Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those looking for non-JET ALT jobs

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Default For those looking for non-JET ALT jobs

On twitter there's a user called "Work in Japan" who posts new ALT jobs (and apartments, and other work) pretty much every day. The quality of these jobs is probably debatable and you might get screwed over, but if you really want to come over here then it's probably a good resource for you.

Have a look at this http://fukuoka.generalunion.org/alt/index.html before taking any non-JET alt work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

The videos at the bottom of the page were interesting.

The 37 year old ALT who got fired and seemingly can't speak Japanese should really go home and get a real job though, that's kinda pathetic.

From what I've heard the dispatch companies outside of JET are getting more cutthroat, both getting hired, and getting fired, so I wouldn't bother if I was in that position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Default Re: For those looking for non-JET ALT jobs

Have fun competing with a bunch of third world trash from Africa, India, and the Philippines!

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    The videos at the bottom of the page were interesting.

The 37 year old ALT who got fired and seemingly can't speak Japanese should really go home and get a real job though, that's kinda pathetic.

From what I've heard the dispatch companies outside of JET are getting more cutthroat, both getting hired, and getting fired, so I wouldn't bother if I was in that position.
    Yup.

Doing a private company after JET is like getting kicked in the balls every day instead of getting a backrub.

Though seeing as how all the teachers unions are bring up lawsuits over dispatch companies I kind of wonder how long they'll be around for.

Actually working dispatch is like being set adrift in a leaking row boat with no oars, sail or engine, in the middle of a storm, in the North Sea, no tiller either.

It is rather sink or swim. Terrible turn over. Because if the cuts to the overall ministry budget and the reduction in tax revenues the situation for pay is getting worse as it is the teachers who get squeezed.

Lawsuits take a long time. In my view the teacher's union is working the wrong way, they should be talking to the parents (dispatch system violates the Education law as well) the parents should be complaining that an unlicensed teacher is teaching the English classes. That is what I will do if my son is taught by a dispatched teacher.

I'm "Japan or bust" but on the other hand don't mind waiting, however i was planning to try JET twice and if i didn't get it go for whatever the "best of the rest" private company is... i hear a lot about Interac, is that the "best of the rest" or is it just the biggest and thus most written about? I understand of course that none of them come close to JET pay and conditions wise and that's why i'm keeping my patience and waiting to apply for it.
    Of course perhaps in a few years time JET might not even exist if the private companies are taking over, able to do it on the cheap. Or on the other hand the government might put thier foot down and force the private companies to improve. Or in realistic terms nothing at all will have changed... except less JET places!

true to all of that.

check the new too, sometimes private schools (JHS, HS and colleges) post online for jobs, sometimes they also make the current teacher do the hiring (that is how so many of the jobs go unadvertised.

O-Hayo Sensei: The Newsletter of (Teaching) Jobs in Japan -- I actually think this one is best
    Jobs in Japan --- worst
    GaijinPot : Japan jobs, Apartments, Living Guide and Blogs ---- most dependent on ads from companies thus their forums suck for info

there are eslcafe sites as well and the eltnews site used to be good but no many jobs there anymore.

As you are from the UK check out ブリティッシュヒルズ whilst not exactly "real" ALT teaching it gives you an idea with (what used to be 300,000 per month with TEFL certificate and 1 year of teaching experience, 20,000 housing and extra pay for overtime, skiing in the winter and loads of other "perks" if you can get over the location)

Isn't British Hills a little north of Tokyo? Surely you could skip to the city in your free time?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Isn't British Hills a little north of Tokyo? Surely you could skip to the city in your free time?
    ShinShirakawa shinkansen station is like 90 minutes north of Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by armchairpatriot View Post
    I'm "Japan or bust" but on the other hand don't mind waiting, however i was planning to try JET twice and if i didn't get it go for whatever the "best of the rest" private company is... i hear a lot about Interac, is that the "best of the rest" or is it just the biggest and thus most written about? I understand of course that none of them come close to JET pay and conditions wise and that's why i'm keeping my patience and waiting to apply for it.
    Hi, I saw your post and thought you (and maybe some other UK JET applicants) might want to consider CLI Kids

I was scheduled to have an interview with them before I found out I was upgraded with JET, and they seem like a pretty good deal (+ I never found any major complaints about them online so I guess they can't be appalling lol)

I know it's eikaiwa, but they were really upfront about everything (like Health Insurance, transportation, schedule) and they would even refund some of your travel expenses to the interview (though like anything that could change I guess). The flight wasn't paid for (about ツ」200 towards it after your 1st year), and the salary isn't as good as JET, but they set you up in Japan and you are guaranteed to get certain things in your apartment plus no key money. Also you have a bit better idea of where you'll be going, Tokyo/Chiba/Hiroshima or Northern Kyushu, so it's slightly more reassuring. My interview was supposed to be in May, but there were dates in Feb/April too so I would recommend just sending them your CV.

Haha, that totally sounds like a sales pitch; but if I hadn't been upgraded I would have liked to have gone with CLI Kids. I'm sorry if it's not exactly 100% relevant since it's not an ALT position, but I thought it might be useful.

EDIT: Also they have been advertising in the Guardian jobs section, that's how I found out about them!
    Last edited by madeleine; May 26th, 2010 at 04:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma View Post
    ShinShirakawa shinkansen station is like 90 minutes north of Tokyo
    Sounds ok to me. I'm 2 hours from both Osaka and Nagoya; British Hills seems to be in a nice place.

I was offered a position with Interac twice. Both times they pulled a bait and switch on my living conditions and placement. Both times they also forgot they hired me until I emailed them saying 'isn't this about the time I should expect to hear back from you about my getting shipped out?". In the end I decided fuck it. I'm not going to deal with that sort of shit. I'm going to grad school. I'm trying with JET one more time in two years, or so I plan to do. If they don't want me after I've acquired 2 master's degrees then there's no hope.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

If you read the link I posted, it explains that these companies need lots of people to apply so they can say to BoEs "look, we have XXX amount of people" when they bid to work in a certain area. If they lose that bid, then those people get pushed away.
    This is probs what happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    If you read the link I posted, it explains that these companies need lots of people to apply so they can say to BoEs "look, we have XXX amount of people" when they bid to work in a certain area. If they lose that bid, then those people get pushed away.
    This is probs what happened to you.
    Exactly, the whole bidding process is a bait and switch. They will say they have x number of teachers to look like they have more than enough to cover the contract, then they will actually assign far less. The school boards never consider the teacher's contracts or conditions as that is the whole point of the dispatch system...

so, what are the two laws that the dispatch companies violate?

There are laws. But dispatch companies just do as they wish anyway.
    Just read the link. Explains everything.

Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    I was offered a position with Interac twice. Both times they pulled a bait and switch on my living conditions and placement. Both times they also forgot they hired me until I emailed them saying 'isn't this about the time I should expect to hear back from you about my getting shipped out?". In the end I decided fuck it. I'm not going to deal with that sort of shit. I'm going to grad school. I'm trying with JET one more time in two years, or so I plan to do. If they don't want me after I've acquired 2 master's degrees then there's no hope.
    If you have 2 master's degrees, I would hope you can do better than JET.

How would I be able to tell if I am a dispatch empployee or a sub-contract employee?

Of course, my contract is in English, so I can't look for the kanji, and they simply use the term employee.

Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    Had somewhat of a similar experience dealing with Interac. Went through the interview and everything. The recruiters told me they wanted to hire me but the management in Japan didn't like my interview apparently and rejected me. Recruiters said I could re-apply at any point I felt ready. I did some part-time tutoring to get experience under my belt. Re-applied again sometime later and received reply stating I wouldn't be accepted due the companies policy against applicants re-applying.
    I might give JET one more shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrus View Post
    Had somewhat of a similar experience dealing with Interac. Went through the interview and everything. The recruiters told me they wanted to hire me but the management in Japan didn't like my interview apparently and rejected me. Recruiters said I could re-apply at any point I felt ready. I did some part-time tutoring to get experience under my belt. Re-applied again sometime later and received reply stating I wouldn't be accepted due the companies policy against applicants re-applying.
    I might give JET one more shot though.
    Those sort of companies see you as a commodity and concerned about making the forecasted numbers rather than being concerned about your interests or situation. Jet is the best option in the short term.
    Last edited by thebigeasy; July 15th, 2010 at 11:18.