Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those looking for non-JET ALT jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    The videos at the bottom of the page were interesting.

The 37 year old ALT who got fired and seemingly can't speak Japanese should really go home and get a real job though, that's kinda pathetic.

From what I've heard the dispatch companies outside of JET are getting more cutthroat, both getting hired, and getting fired, so I wouldn't bother if I was in that position.
    Yeah the videos were very entertaining. The first video was great LOL. That poor "Robaato" who was unjustly fired and forced to live in such appaling conditions while eating *Gasp* 100 yen fish and the utterly devastated students who gave such moving testimony it was so tragic LMAO

On a more serious note did the government do any studies on the breakdown of which schools are using which hiring method? I'd really like to see some statistics on just what percentage of schools are using JET vs. subcontractor (slave teacher) vs. dispatch contractor (indentured servant for 1-3 yrs) vs. actually following the rules and directly hiring ALTs. The report could also provide a chart telling which areas of Japan have had major cutbacks in the education budget and which areas have a higher concentration of subcontractors vs JET or direct hire and which towns/regions in particular promote more of the ALTs to full time. I assume places like Fukouka which had major budget cuts would be more inclined to hire on the cheap while major cities like Tokyo would have more money to spend and can afford better (full time) teachers. I find it interesting how a Japanese government organization (BOE) interprets (breaks) the law its boss (MOE) ordered it to follow. It seems like they find hiring sweatshop ALTs is just as legal as gambling in pachinko.

Default Re: For those looking for non-JET ALT jobs

you get the tokens from the pachinko, then you trade the tokens for cartons of cigarettes. talk to the guy on the side of the alley, then take the cigarettes to the dimly-lit shop next door. if you don't talk to the guy first, then you won't be able to enter the shop. trade the cigarettes for cash. repeat.

more of an RPG than any sort of gambling I've ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    Hi, I saw your post and thought you (and maybe some other UK JET applicants) might want to consider CLI Kids

I was scheduled to have an interview with them before I found out I was upgraded with JET, and they seem like a pretty good deal (+ I never found any major complaints about them online so I guess they can't be appalling lol)

I know it's eikaiwa, but they were really upfront about everything (like Health Insurance, transportation, schedule) and they would even refund some of your travel expenses to the interview (though like anything that could change I guess). The flight wasn't paid for (about £200 towards it after your 1st year), and the salary isn't as good as JET, but they set you up in Japan and you are guaranteed to get certain things in your apartment plus no key money. Also you have a bit better idea of where you'll be going, Tokyo/Chiba/Hiroshima or Northern Kyushu, so it's slightly more reassuring. My interview was supposed to be in May, but there were dates in Feb/April too so I would recommend just sending them your CV.

Haha, that totally sounds like a sales pitch; but if I hadn't been upgraded I would have liked to have gone with CLI Kids. I'm sorry if it's not exactly 100% relevant since it's not an ALT position, but I thought it might be useful.

EDIT: Also they have been advertising in the Guardian jobs section, that's how I found out about them!
    Although the website says "Our next set of interviews in the UK will be in the summer 2009." :/

Quote Originally Posted by ashleytwo View Post
    Although the website says "Our next set of interviews in the UK will be in the summer 2009." :/
    Yeah you need to check the guardian website/newspaper, I don't think they keep their own site up-to-date.

Ah yes thanks for that, just found it on Guardian Jobs. Much appreciated Although it just asks for a CV, doesn't seem like much to go on. Think I'll include a cover letter too.

Oh frak, it starts in April and my postgrad doesn't finish until June. There goes that idea.
    Last edited by ashleytwo; October 2nd, 2010 at 21:56.

I think they have two hiring sessions a year. If you want to go in September time check it again around March/April time... my interview was in June so I think that's when they started hiring again.

If I remember rightly, when you get to the interview stage you are sent a longer application form. But it's nothing too difficult.
    Last edited by madeleine; October 4th, 2010 at 07:56.

Ah right. Thanks for that, much appreciated