Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okayama-Ken

Default Okayama-Ken

Is anyone placed in Okayama-ken? I am played in Wake-cho in Okayama. Wake-cho from my research is pretty rural. I just hope its close enough so I can hope on the train to the city every weekend or so. Anyone close by or been there wanna give me a heads up?

Default Re: Okayama-Ken

Don't forget that Hiroshima is your neighbor! Come and have fun next door.

We're trying to get a "Chugoku Region" forum going so that everyone in the region can see what events are happening, and take part. We just find it sad that even though large number of JETs live very close to each other, yet are separated by the invisible border of a prefecture.

http://www.wideislandview.com/forum/index.php

(For example. The JETs in Fukuyama are about 97% more likely to go to Hiroshima City than to Okayama city, even though Hiroshima City is twice as far away as Okayama City. So sad.)
    Last edited by ChuChuRocket!; May 29th, 2010 at 23:31.

Thanks for the info, I will visit Hiroshima at least once there are alot of other places i want to go too like korean Pusan by boat haha, but Hopefully I can find more Okayama JETS nearby to have a cup of coffee / hang out once inawhile

Quote Originally Posted by Yamapi View Post
    Thanks for the info, I will visit Hiroshima at least once there are alot of other places i want to go too like korean Pusan by boat haha, but Hopefully I can find more Okayama JETS nearby to have a cup of coffee / hang out once inawhile
    yo...
    i was a JET in okayama ken last year, but they cut a bunch of people so i transfered to fukuyama city. anyway, Wake is inaka. you are right about that. I've never actually been there, but it's not really so bad. you are on the Sanyo line so trains come fairly often for such an inaka town. you will be about 30 minutes out from Okayama city and your last train home from the city is 11:32PM, which is about as late as last trains get around here. not too shabby. Wake has a Pizza King that people sometimes mention. Apparently someone blogged about it here. anyhow, it's not downtown osaka, but some JETs can only dream of being 30 minutes from the shinkansen, so consider yourself lucky. also, feel free to ask here or PM me if you have questions about Okayama city, in which I have spent and do still spend a considerable amount of time (i just got home from there 10 mins ago).

30 minutes from the city is Win ! haha. how much did it cost you? it seems it costs about 600 yen to get to the city and 600 yen back. thats alot to go frequently. Hope i can get a pass or some sort? I dont mind the rural area just that i need 3 main things lol. Good internet, near a city, and a western toliet =P.

oh and did u get to choose where u want to be transferred? or they just told u
    Last edited by Yamapi; May 31st, 2010 at 00:43.

it's ¥480 one way. believe me, that is cheap. you probably wont even think about it after the first week or two. plus there's a Bic Camera right outside the station. you can get a pass but it's a commuter pass and it wont be worth it unless you go to the city every single day. you can use hyperdia to find out how long it takes and how much it costs to pretty much anywhere you want to go by train in japan.

no one can promise you a western toilet except maybe your pred. the internet shouldnt be a problem but it may cost you if you want the good stuff. i recommend hikari fiber optic. ADSL is cheaper but speed can severely drop off depending upon how far your apartment is from the nearest switch and they can never tell you how bad it will be before it gets installed. you can start with this website if you need to research it in english.

Their ADSL is pretty crazy. 50mbs lol. Max I get here is 6 Mbs and I'm pretty happy with that. even if its bad because of area, i don't think it can be that bad to drop lower then 6mbs. That is what I am getting now in Canada. seems more convenient too and also faster to install.

well if the toilet is based on my predecessor there is a high chance they are using western toilets lol. I can imagine the culture shock to use the squatter for a year. but thanks for the links i will have a look =)
    Last edited by Yamapi; May 31st, 2010 at 14:52.

Yeah Wake is inaka. I've driven in this area. Consider yourself lucky, there is a train station in town. I am in the Hiroshima inaka and the closest train station is 35 km away.

My wife is from Kurashiki, Okayama is a great placement. Good food and shopping in Okayama city.

Welcome to Okayama.

kurashiki, wow thats pretty close to the city!
    yah now that i think about it I'm pretty lucky, I didn't know most inaka places do not have a nearby train station. I hope to travel alot cheers =)

Kurashiki is one of the prettiest small city I have seen. The Bikan area was well preserved. There is a kick ass pizza restaurant behind Ivy Square called La Cenetta, the owner studied pizza making in Italy, he is some kind of pizza otaku.

Wake is not too far from Bizen and Hinase. You can go to the sea side pretty easily.

I am lucky to spend my weekends in Kurashiki. In Hiroshima-ken, I inherited the most inaka placement of them all. Inaka is great, I am starting my third year in July.

i don't think it can be that bad to drop lower then 6mbs.
    believe me, it can. my apartment was on the west side of kurashiki. not downtown but pretty much suburban. my internet download speed never got above 60 kb/s. i think that's less than 0.5mbs. i could barely watch youtube if i was lucky. skype was a crap shoot. also, i was paying 6800 yen per month to yahoo BB because you need to have a home phone in order to use ADSL, or your ISP will rent the line and tack the cost onto your bill. either way it was a complete rip off. now i have NTT Hikari. i pay less and it's about 50x faster. some people have good luck with it.......I didn't.

@jake hrm guess i have to ask my predecessor on that one then.

@samover , I will definitely try that pizza! wheres this ivy square located at.
    and wow 3 years, your Japanese must be pera pera lol
    Last edited by Yamapi; May 31st, 2010 at 16:28.

kurashiki's ivy square is walkable from the station, maybe 10 mins on foot, right next to the bikan chiku. it becomes a beer garden in the summer. i think it's actually an old textile mill that they turned into a hotel years ago. that area is a goldmine for souvenirs to be brought back or mailed to family and friends.

I'm in Okayama, and I think I know your predecessor. You will love it here. Really good folks and a great place in general. Plus, Wake-cho has the best pizza I've ever had in Japan.

Also, if you move into the same place, yes, you will have a sit down toilet and plenty of space.
    Last edited by twiceinalifetime; June 1st, 2010 at 22:45.
    Oklahoma to Okayama

omg! yay if its the same predecessor. oh she/he is returning already? i guess he/she has their own life plans to go back to

I went to Okayama University for a year, if you have any questions feel free to ask me as well! I really wanted to be placed in Okayama City or Kurashiki but was placed in Hokkaido. You will love it! And will get very familiar with the story of Momotaro. Totally recommend going to the Uraja Matsuri in early august; there are some great dance troops. They shut down the streets for the performers. Its great fun. Also, the ever shocking Naked Man (Hadaka) Festival is in Okayama. Its near the shinkansen and close to both Hiroshima and Himeiji (which the castle is lovely to visit during Sakura season). Bizen pottery is famous too and makes for great gifts.
    Right about the toilets though. One of the first things I learned was the locations of western style toilets in the downtown area. Loft is always a sure bet and the bathroom by McDonald's in the station are two locations that I can remember off the top of my head.
    Don't forget to visit the garden---

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMaru View Post
    Its near the shinkansen and close to both Hiroshima and Himeiji (which the castle is lovely to visit during Sakura season).
    please note that himeji castle is being renovated for the next 5 years and will be completely covered by scaffolding. the interior and much of the grounds are closed to visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMaru View Post
    Right about the toilets though. One of the first things I learned was the locations of western style toilets in the downtown area. Loft is always a sure bet and the bathroom by McDonald's in the station are two locations that I can remember off the top of my head.
    a couple of tips that apply pretty much anywhere in japan: 1) the handicapped toilet is always western style. 2) big fancy departments stores many times have really nice bathrooms. if you're a guy, go up to the ladies or kids department and it will usually be empty. 3) the bathrooms at loft have been really nasty everytime i've been in them and they smell bad and have weird blue tile.

I've been placed in Okayama prefecture too, so thanks for the info on here guys.

Welcome abroad Basil =). Naked men festival eeek is it safe? lol
    i heard korakuen is a good place for hanami. i'm excited already from your experiences

Welcome abroad Basil =). Naked men festival eeek is it safe? lol
    no, it isnt. people get injured every year and it periodically gets interrupted while some cops or something rush in and break up fistfights. i saw a dude that looked like E. Honda slowly raise up his leg and just kick another guy right in the face. it was awesome!