Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Okayama-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou View Post
    Anyone else headed out to Okayama-ken this year?
    Me! I just got placed in Niimi-shi!

Default Re: Okayama-Ken

I live in Okayama. Welcome to the countryside.
    I thought it was time to use a sig

I'm really excited. I requested rural so this is right up my alley! MJN, how do you like it there?

I love it, actually. The area I'm in is in the back of beyond, but it's well connected if I wish to pay. It's only a few hours drive to the nearest big cities. If it's rural you're after, chances are90% of Okayama that isn't Okayama-shi will be rural as get out.

Niimi's across the -ken from me, though. No idea what that specific area is like, I don't frequent it often.

Oh, cool! I requested rural as well so that's fine by me.

Don't know where I'm placed specifically - I'm a UK applicant, and apparently they're only releasing general prefecture info at the moment, or something.

What's the weather like generally? I'm assuming fairly hot and dry...?

Yea, in the summer. There's occasional extreme downpours. The winter is long, cold and damp, though.

I'm in Okayama, too! It's truly an excellent place to be a JET. Welcome and can't wait to meet you!
    Oklahoma to Okayama

Thanks for the welcome!

And cheers for the weather info, MJN - I'm currently trying to figure out what clothes to bring, since my height will probably make it difficult for me to buy anything over there.

Do many JETs in the prefecture have cars? I'm applying for an International Driving Permit, but honestly I'd prefer to not drive if possible.

Awesome, I can't wait to meet you guys, too! I'm seriously excited about this!

Does it snow in Okayama a lot during the winter? I'm from L.A. so I'm gearing myself up for some REAL weather. I'm 5'7'' and heard that since girls are typically shorter in Japan I would be better off purchasing winter clothes here.

Kaitou, did you put that you didn't want to drive on your app? That's what I did since I would prefer not to drive as well. I know another JET is incoming to the same town as I am and if my predecessor offers a car for sale I might refer him/her to the other JET.

Heh, I'm 5'9" and also a girl, so ditto.

Yup, I said I'd rather not drive - because honestly, I only passed a couple of years ago and I'm not massively confident driving in new places. But I'd give it a shot if it'd seriously make a huge difference in terms of convenience and accessibility.

Wish I knew my town/village/hamlet/whatever!

My BoE said that I may want to ride a bike or bus/train it to work. Niimi is apparently really stretched out and huge for an inaka. So even though the pop is high it's stretched. I'm excited!

Kaitou, that sucks they've only told you the prefecture! I'm sure I'll see you at Orientation in Okayama! They'll probably have a lot of info for you in the next couple of weeks so you won't go in blindly. Hope you hear soon!

Driving in this country is fun. I've got a hugely rural placement up in forests and mountains, so I have scenic rallys through the valleys on the way to work.

Also about clothing, I may be male (5'8") but I've been lucky in that clothing fits me here nicely. It doesn't back home.

Just got my contract and prefectural info through the post!
    Last edited by Kaitou; June 18th, 2012 at 21:23. Reason: edited to remove specific placement info, as advised

Depends on what I'm planning on posting here, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Prooooobably don't want to admit that much here, Kaitou. You'll want to retain some anonymity in the future, I suspect.
    Word. In all honesty I would take back admitting which prefecture I was in, if a mod would allow that (would a mod allow that? please delete my post!)