Thread: What is fruit basket?

Default What is fruit basket?

I didn't go to Tokyo Orientation, instead I went to a 禅 (Zen) garden and meditated about teaching English to students. Through this meditation, I discovered Karuta-tori Game and Fruits Basket.
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

Default Re: So, before we go, what are you guys doing/watching to psyche yourselves up?

What the hell is fruits basket? Is it easier than shouting at the ES kids and making them repeat words for 50 minutes?
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

Default Re: So, before we go, what are you guys doing/watching to psyche yourselves up?

I suggest you take your Tokyo Orientation time and spend it in the center of Yoyogi park and meditate. Fruits Basket will come to you.

(you seriously don't know what it is?)
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

It sounds stupid, so I've never bothered to learn. Gary Gaijin don't play that.

ES is either karuta, word searches, drawing pictures or this game where I say a word and they have to find where I've hidden the corresponding card in the classroom. Sometimes I don't even bother to hide cards, so everybody loses.
    "In his heart of hearts, he knows that you're on your own at this level..of big nose monkey snooker"

LOL

Well how big are your classes? Fruits Basket with less than 15 kids is pretty stupid.

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Quailman View Post
    LOL

Well how big are your classes? Fruits Basket with less than 15 kids is pretty stupid.
    in that way it's not all that different from fruits basket with more than 15 kids, actually.

ES classes are 5-10 students.

Stupidity avoided!

Banned

moved to a new thread
    Last edited by Azrael; June 1st, 2010 at 14:47.

Well the ideal class size is like 20-25.... because you can have 5 varieties (4 or 5 cards each)...

Anyway, for ten_of:

Say you are doing fruit vocabulary... apple, banana, pineapple, watermelon, and lemon. You give each kid a card (or sometimes you can let them decide what they want to be) and have them sit in their chairs (facing inward) in a circle. Everyone asks "What's this?" One child is in the middle (or you), and that oni answers with "It's a ~". For example, "It's a banana" is the phrase. All the kids holding banana cards have to move to another chair (excluding the chair they are in now and the chairs to their immediate right and left). there will always be one less chair than person... so whoever is left over becomes the new oni. However, if the oni says "It's a fruit basket", then every must move to a different chair (following those same rules from earlier). Repeat and reuse. Play for 5 minutes... play for 15 minutes. Good time filler and gets the kids running around.

Power, Patience, Speed.

Default Re: What is fruit basket?

Fruits basket is a great time-filler, and you can make variations of it, like town basket:

"I live in....town" (the 町 part they live in, make sure to get the JTE to list the towns beforehand), so the kids who live in that area change seats. If there's only one, they swap seats with the oni. If there are none, try again. If they say the name of the city, "I live in.....city" then all the little bastards change seats.

You need to be careful with desks/corners of tables so they don't rip their heads open. Also they seem to think it's hilarious to fall over in the middle of the floor, once one kid starts doing it they all do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    You need to be careful with desks/corners of tables so they don't rip their heads open. Also they seem to think it's hilarious to fall over in the middle of the floor, once one kid starts doing it they all do it.
    move the desks and have them sit in a circle?

Say you are doing fruit vocabulary... apple, banana, pineapple, watermelon, and lemon. You give each kid a card (or sometimes you can let them decide what they want to be) and have them sit in their chairs (facing inward) in a circle. Everyone asks "What's this?" One child is in the middle (or you), and that oni answers with "It's a ~". For example, "It's a banana" is the phrase. All the kids holding banana cards have to move to another chair (excluding the chair they are in now and the chairs to their immediate right and left). there will always be one less chair than person... so whoever is left over becomes the new oni. However, if the oni says "It's a fruit basket", then every must move to a different chair (following those same rules from earlier). Repeat and reuse. Play for 5 minutes... play for 15 minutes. Good time filler and gets the kids running around.
    This is literally what I did today because I was bored of the stupid card pair game I was supposed to do.
    I don't use cards though, little fuckers kept ruining them so now they get nothing and have to remember.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin View Post
    move the desks and have them sit in a circle?

This is literally what I did today because I was bored of the stupid card pair game I was supposed to do.
    I don't use cards though, little fuckers kept ruining them so now they get nothing and have to remember.
    No, they sit in a circle but I mean the desks/tables around the sides. We push them back as far as possible, but they run and dive for the chairs and sometimes they come a bit too close for comfort.
    Last edited by Crab; June 2nd, 2010 at 22:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Default Re: What is fruit basket?

Ah, that's darwinism coming into play then.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.