Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Aomori folks?

Default Where are the Aomori folks?

I am living in Aomori now and was hoping to see a few names pop up of newbs headed our way. If you are out there speak up!

Default Re: Where are the Aomori folks?

Aomori here, no specific location but they gave me a prefecture. :3 What's it like?

It is very beautiful naturally if that is your thing. If you like snow and mild summers this is the place. It seriously snows like you would never believe, but with that and the afformentioned nature, there is so much available for winter sports(including Hakkoda which is one of the top powder skiing mountains in Asia). Feel free to check out our flickr page. Flickr: adam.fenrick's Photostream

Ooo wow! Looks lovely. Hopefully I'll be in a city like Aomori itself or Hiro, they both look so beautiful!! Thanks!

Finally got my location, kinda worried;

Itayanagi HS, Itayanagi Town.

Looks tiny and really desolate...! Any ideas how easy travel will be? Especially during those harsh winters?!
    Last edited by Jkun; June 26th, 2010 at 00:46.

Hi Jkun ... I'm a 5th year JET located in the town north of where you will be, Goshogawara. I'm on my way back to the States this summer, but I just wanted to let you know that there is no need to worry Itayanagi is in a great location situated right in the middle of three of the major cities in Aomori (Aomori City, Hirosaki, Goshogawara). The town itself may be quite and quant, but you'll have easy access to other places and it's far from isolated (compared to some of the other places in Aomori). You'll definitely want a car to get around, although there is a train line that goes through your town as well. There is a major festival called Nebuta that will happen in all 3 of the larger cities that I mentioned when you first get here ... I highly recommend Tachi Nebuta in Goshogawara. Your town will also have a pretty nice fire works display a couple of weeks after you get there and there are a few other events that happen throughout the year. Currently, most predecessors are still not allowed to contact their successors, but hopefully we'll be able to contact you directly soon. Good luck with the packing and everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by Allichan View Post
    Hi Jkun ... I'm a 5th year JET located in the town north of where you will be, Goshogawara. I'm on my way back to the States this summer, but I just wanted to let you know that there is no need to worry Itayanagi is in a great location situated right in the middle of three of the major cities in Aomori (Aomori City, Hirosaki, Goshogawara). The town itself may be quite and quant, but you'll have easy access to other places and it's far from isolated (compared to some of the other places in Aomori). You'll definitely want a car to get around, although there is a train line that goes through your town as well. There is a major festival called Nebuta that will happen in all 3 of the larger cities that I mentioned when you first get here ... I highly recommend Tachi Nebuta in Goshogawara. Your town will also have a pretty nice fire works display a couple of weeks after you get there and there are a few other events that happen throughout the year. Currently, most predecessors are still not allowed to contact their successors, but hopefully we'll be able to contact you directly soon. Good luck with the packing and everything else!
    Thanks to you both! I was really worried before, but now it seems like a really quaint place to live. I love shrines and nature, and the house I am living in is right near the both - including the famous Apple Trail!

In summer, what are the creepy crawlies like? I have insane arachnophobia, and I've been told that really big centepedes like to come out and play on people's tatami mats... Any bad experiences with bugs?
    Last edited by Jkun; June 26th, 2010 at 00:45.

This thread seems especially dead, but... I'm headed to Aomori-shi! Yay!

Last edited by bananallanah; July 24th, 2012 at 17:10.

Howdy neighbor!

The way I see it, all the Aomori/Akita JETs are having waaaaay too much fun to waste precious time on the Interwebs.

Warm welcome, Happytofu <3 and to my neighbor, Banana.

As for winters. Be prepared to freeze. My coworkers during the winter were always telling me that I must like the snow because of where I come from in America. I hate the snow.

But. Yeah. Be prepared for snow. It won`t hit until Decemberish. We might get some flurries in November, but it won`t start really hitting us until middle of December until April.

I was still wearing a light coat until middle of December.

Oh! And you`ll be in the city! I only visited the city once this winter. It was too cold to visit again. And I thought my area was bad. Prepare for snow walls.

But, not to scare you. It really is beautiful. And we have an active JET community. And you`re in the city, which is nice if you want to escape. You have quite a few more night bus options and the Shink station.

(also. I come off as a bitter person on itil. I`m really not in RL. I actually love my placement, just not certain aspects of it. Like snow. But we have the airbase, so if you`re looking for a taste of America, it`s not impossible to get stuff from base.)
    Last edited by Lianwen; June 1st, 2012 at 16:17.

Haha. the worst part of it all will be dealing with Lianwen's mishaps, eh? lol
    いいみで

Harhar, Teishou. You get placed in Aomori?

No, Hokkaido for me. Keep the newbies in line there.
    いいみで

Daaaaamn, Hokkaido. I have to say, I am incredibly thankful I wasn't placed in Hokkaido. I'm just not a cold or snow person.

Has your pred contacted you yet? I know a few Hokkaido JETs who are leaving this year.

He isn't allowed to yet. I know who he is, thanks to a good friend of his contacting me, but...:<

I kinda want to meet you though. You can't be as bad as you sound. lol You're kinda...infamous.
    いいみで

That's good! Hopefully it'll be soon for you. If you were coming to my area, I'd recommend you start stocking up on a few winter clothes on sale/clearance and then have them shipped in September. I went in Feb to Sapparo, and I was absolutely miserable with the cold.

Infamous is a pretty gentle way of putting it. I swear I'm only a complaining wreck during the hours of 8-4:30 on weekdays. The rest of the time I'm a normal person. Come down for Nebuta in August.

I might come up! Looks like a cool festival.

EDIT: Realised I will have just arrived at TO when it's on, ah well 2013 maybe
    Last edited by bananallanah; June 2nd, 2012 at 16:48.

Are you coming with Groub B? You might be able to catch the tale end of it then.

Yep with group B, I'll get to Akita on the 8th Aug