Thread: TESOL and TEFL

Default TESOL and TEFL

I've been looking into the certification programs for both and am wondering which [if any] is the better option. Is one more thorough in their practice, more widely accepted, or are they both pretty much the same?

Typically, I think they're interchangeable. I would look at the programs you are interested in applying for and see what they accept.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

Default Re: TESOL and TEFL

They are both pretty much the same, as with Celta (which is the same as TESOL/TEFL) or Delta (which is pretty much the same as a masters in it).

If you want to study any of these, they do really awesome courses abroad where you study as you teach. Like go to Spain for 3 months and come back with the qualification. I did mine as a dual degree at uni, but if I hand't have done that, I would deffo do those. My friends who did it that way have always been really possitive about their experience.

Have a look at tefl.com or International Job Opportunities: Work Abroad - Employment Opportunities Abroad at GoAbroad.com for a good course.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

I was looking at online TEFL courses and came upon this site. Not sure how trustworthy it really is though. There are no areas nearby that offer in-class TEFL courses.

Online TEFL Courses and Online TEFL Certification

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrus View Post
    I was looking at online TEFL courses and came upon this site. Not sure how trustworthy it really is though. There are no areas nearby that offer in-class TEFL courses.

Online TEFL Courses and Online TEFL Certification
    TEFL Courses & TEFL Jobs from i-to-i

I know a few people who have used this company. (Including myself) I did a combined online and weekend course, but doubt the weekend could be possible for you as they're based in the UK.

That being said, their online courses are very good and thorough. I'd suggest giving it a look over.

BUMP! This thread seems related enough to my questions...

So I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge into getting TEFL/TESOL/whatnot certification. I've been reading different forums online and it sounds like there's a hierarchy of certificates out there, with CELTA or DELTA or Trinity or whatever being the top (and of course, the most expensive, and some courses requiring on-site components). Some English teaching jobs only seem to take a specific certification (e.g. "we require a CELTA-TESOL certification"). Since I'm not sure what I'm doing after JET I'm a bit hesitant to take an expensive course or spend 5 weeks intensively studying just yet, but I've been wanting to brush up on my English grammar anyway. And if it's not too expensive and will help me land something else post-JET, or at least improve my teaching for the remaining time I'm here, why not? My background: I don't have a teaching degree, was not an English major, and it's been years since I studied grammar. I do know a little about teaching /learning theories and pedagogy through my graduate school work (education-related field).

I've thought about doing an online course through a group such as i-to-i but the 120 hour courses are still a bit pricey, and I've seen mixed reviews online. And I'm wondering if 100 hours is a good average level course for a newb like me to take or a bit overkill?

Hmm, maybe I should just start with a book for refreshing my grammar or teaching ESL. Any suggestions?

First to Sind, if you're still reading this, the i-to-i course holds little value in the real world, unfortunately. If you're going to do English teaching for real (like, not with JET and not in Taiwan or Korea where they don't care about your credentials - or your welfare) then go for a real course that's set over a few months or so, in the flesh.

Mixed Nuts- it depends on where you want to teach. If you want to stay in Asia then your degree alone will get you a job pretty much anywhere, except Malaysia or Singapore, where you'd probably need to go through the British council to get anything decent.
    If you want to do Europe, then you'll need a real qualification like a CELTA or DELTA. You can do them whilst you work there, like this one celta-course.com -- International House CELTA course FAQS (I did a quick google of "earn your celta spain") that trains you whilst you teach at their school and then they might find you a full time teaching position when you've finished. I've seen schools like this advertised in places like Vietnam and Thailand too.

Like I said before, don't go for an online course. No school worth teaching at would accept it as a real qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    Mixed Nuts- it depends on where you want to teach. If you want to stay in Asia then your degree alone will get you a job pretty much anywhere, except Malaysia or Singapore, where you'd probably need to go through the British council to get anything decent. If you want to do Europe, then you'll need a real qualification like a CELTA or DELTA. You can do them whilst you work there, like this one celta-course.com -- International House CELTA course FAQS (I did a quick google of "earn your celta spain") that trains you whilst you teach at their school and then they might find you a full time teaching position when you've finished. I've seen schools like this advertised in places like Vietnam and Thailand too.

Like I said before, don't go for an online course. No school worth teaching at would accept it as a real qualification.
    That's what I figured, Miss_Igirisu. Thanks for that bit. I think for now I just want to brush up on grammar and teaching techniques. Any recommended reading? I thought about maybe joining JALT too.

Aw, I'm sorry, they made you study American English! Thanks for the references though, maybe I should make a trek to the city to see if they're in any used bookstore's English section!

MARUZEN!
    I'm going tomorrow, let's go together!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_igirisu View Post
    MARUZEN!
    I'm going tomorrow, let's go together!
    OK, let's.