Thread: English Music

Default English Music

Every week at my school the broadcasting club plays music during our lunch period: three days of classical, one day of requests, and one day of english songs.

When I first got here last August the teacher in charge of the club asked me to create a CD of english songs. At first I didn't think it would be that popular, so I used a lot of safe and possibly well-known artists, like Micheal Jackson, the Beatles, and songs from the 70's. I also through in some more modern songs that were currently in the top 10 charts at the time, mostly so I didn't have to listen to Micheal Jackson everyweek. It turns out though that while my kids liked the older songs, they really liked the current ones a lot more, a lot of times asking for them on the request days too and trying to translate them to really understand them.

Recently I've been asked to create another CD, and this time I want to put in more current songs, perferrably within the past few years of so. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be good?

Default Re: English Music

::Link is broken::
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Your school is awesome. We have The Carpenters (twice). And It's a Small World. Every. Day. No chance of change.

I'm sure there are tons, but my brain is broken, so I'll just go with Friday I'm in Love. I think my kids liked it, though most of the JTEs have deemed it "too hard." Really interested to see the other ideas.
    Oklahoma to Okayama

For my English club, I play Hey Juliet by LMNT. It's poppy and catchy and some parts are slow enough that the kids can both sing and remember the words.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Why not some Miley Cyrus or Jonas brothers?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by AliDimayev View Post
    Why not some Miley Cyrus or Jonas brothers?
    'cause I wanna try to hold off on my murderous rampage for as long as possible.

This would be the BEST music for cleaning to.

Or this

sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Oh, that brings back memories of my childhood and makes me depressed and suicidal.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Any of those cheesy radio rap songs about going to hotels

"Hotel" by Pitbull is a good one

"FORGET ABOUT YOUR BOYFRIEND AND MEET ME AT THE HOTEL, I'MMA BRING MY GIRLFRIENDS AND MEET YOU AT THE HOTEL, HOTEL MOTEL HOLIDAY INN, WE'RE AT THE HOTEL MOTEL HOLIDAY INN"
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Recently, the girls at my JHS have been into Justin Bieber. Some also like Lady Gaga. I had no idea my kids knew of any artists so contemporary. I don't even know much about them. Are they really that international and mainstream?

Anyhow, every year during the 3rd semester I do a couple songs for listening comprehension during each Elective English class. I've found that as long as the songs have a good rhythm and/or maybe a few catchy parts that are easy to hear then they go over well. My students always dig the Red Hot Chili Pepper songs, especially "Snow" since it was in the Deathnote movie. But the one song that every class has loved every year has been "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand. I never take it off the rotation from year to year because it always goes over well and the kids keep singing it the rest of the school year. Don't know why it works so well, but it does.

In any case, pick stuff you like and give a variety. If it's catchy, someone will like it.

MGMT, The Killers, Beyonce. Any artist who's had more than two albums on the charts in the last ten years should be fine. bomb-mp3.com is a good site for downloading current hits for free. It's streaming not torrents, so you only have to right-click / save. I think it might be legal if you use it for education. If not you're stealing.
    Last edited by Shinbobo; June 8th, 2010 at 23:05.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really want to have the Duck Tales song playing during lunch, it might liven things up a little more. My kids don't normally talk about foreign singers that much, unless one of them was on TV the previous night, although sometimes one of them will start singing a random song and ask me who sings it.

They played The Ting Tings and Stereophonics last night on a tv drama. So, you could use those songs.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
    They played The Ting Tings and Stereophonics last night on a tv drama. So, you could use those songs.
    I put 'That's not my name' on the last CD and the kids loved it, they still sing it every so often, I'll try to look into their other other songs and see if they've got anything good.

Ducktales.