Thread: My interview advice--relates to placement

Default My interview advice--relates to placement

Tried to post this a couple days ago but it got eaten by internet demons.

I'm in a junior high position that requires me to rotate among 10 schools. I specifically requested high school to avoid rotation, and because I have taught junior high here before. There are 1st year high school ALTs in my town that would rather have been put in junior high. So why did I get put here?

I had a conversation with my supervisor a bit after I got here about how they chose me. They saw that Wakayama was my 2nd choice so they figured I'd like the place. My app was good, so they chose me. He saw that I had requested high school but the way he talked about it made it seem as if that made no difference at all to the decision.

In the interview, one guy asked me if I would prefer high school or junior high, and I recall bumbling the question badly even though I had a strong preference. The point is this: If you really want to live somewhere or if you really want high school or junior high, then you'll need a really good reason. Figure out what that reason is and then figure out the most powerful way to say it. Memorize it that way, and find a way to say it two or three times in the interview. This will probably help you have more luck than me. On the brighter side, I'm loving elementary schools more than I probably would have liked high school.

You could be the guy who actually gets Osaka or Kyoto, or you could be like the snowboard freak who requested Hokkaido, Hokkaido, and Hokkaido and got put in Okinawa. Don't get your hopes up either way.

On a side note, in the interview I was asked what the most important event for US/Japanese foreign relations was, and I said the arrival of Matthew Perry's black ships in 1868. Oops, that's the date of the Meiji Restoration. And look, I still got in. Good luck!
    -Todd

Default Re: My interview advice--relates to placement

Quote Originally Posted by tvanhorne
    I had a conversation with my supervisor a bit after I got here about how they chose me. They saw that Wakayama was my 2nd choice so they figured I'd like the place. My app was good, so they chose me. He saw that I had requested high school but the way he talked about it made it seem as if that made no difference at all to the decision.
    Does the supervisor pick the ALT in every instance?

I can see how it works if you are operating out of a BoE but my supervisor is just the head of the English department in my senior high school. Would he have picked?

-I would ask him but I dont want to.

I have no idea if high schools pick their own or if the ken just tells them who to take. In my case, my supervisor and a couple others in the office were shown either a pool of applicants or just me and chose me. They had the option to pass me up but my impression is that they were pretty much told, 'here's your guy. OK?'

I think the supervisors pick in most cases. Not 100% on this, and haven't had conversations with my supervisor but other ALTs in my area have. These are kencho and municipal employed jets at elementary, junior & senior high.
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

yet also this could vary from prefecture to prefecture.
    if there's one thing I've learned from the time on JET so far, it's that when a rule/system for placement comes up, it often is disproved in some way at a later date.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

yabighoor

As far as I know in our ken, the school will request say a male or female from a particular country (eg my school requested a female from the uk and got me-incidentally i`m not really from the UK just applied there). That`s as much as they get in the decision making process though and if you`re placed as an alternate they have even less say, they have to take what they`re given.

I think it probably varies from prefecture to prefecture. In August when my supervisor picked me up from the train station she asked me many things about myself (that I swore were in my application). She told me, and I quote, "Actually, I haven't read through your application yet."

So if she didn7t read my applictaion, I don7t think she's the one that picked me for the school.