Thread: Ideas help...pretty please!

Default Ideas help...pretty please!

I have to teach the topic "good for your health" on fri to low level senior high school students. They are first years, and I have 10 in a class.

The topic is supposed to be things like healthy living, exercise, eating...but also stuff like cold remedies!...My teacher would like to know of some funny / interesting cold remedies, or health stories from my country..UK...so if any of you Brits have any ideas on this..that would be great.

Thanks in advance for ANY ideas you can muster!..im struggling!

Byeee xxx

Leeches.

A cure for a sore throat in the middle ages was to thread live worms onto a piece of string (or the middle age equivilant), and tie them around the sufferers neck. As the worms died, the sore throat was meant to die too.

Around the same time a cure for warts was to cut an eels head off, rub the bloody bit on the wart, then put the eel in a whole in the ground and cover it up. As the eel rotted, the wart disappeared.

More modern ideas I have been told are to put salt on a mouth ulcer and to eat onions for a sore throat.

They don't have GPs who visit you at home in Japan. There's a big cultural difference there.

How about a questionnaire or something where students have to rate different British and Japanese dishes in terms of healthiness, and then see which country comes out on top (of course, British food would include curries and chinese food).
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by jane_is_ace
    Around the same time a cure for warts was to cut an eels head off, rub the bloody bit on the wart, then put the eel in a whole in the ground and cover it up. As the eel rotted, the wart disappeared.
    Are you saying this doesnt work!!! Those feckin eels cost me 5000 each.

The ancient Greeks beleived that staying healthy was all about maintaining a balance of earth, fire, wind and somethign else probably. When too much fire they bled you a bit, too much earth they removed bile, too much wind.....erm.....no more natto..... Well you get the idea.

You don't have to go to the doctors and pay for a letter to say you are ill to take a sick day in the Uk... Unless you are off for months or something!

We don't wear masks over our faces to stop the spread of a cold, and wash our hands well instead!!! Don't get me wrong~ masks a good idea... but pointless if you don't wash your hands thoroughly after going to the toilet or blowing your nose... catch my drift?!

Um, lesson ideas... How about doing some roll play. get them to come to the docs and describe thier sympoms... The doc has to diagnose them and give them some medicine!

They could come up with some funny illnesses to make it more entertaining!

OR

Get them to make up their own cold cure in English...

Hot Toddy is a traditional British (Scottish?) remedy~
    Orange juice, honey and brandy(or whisky) are the basic ingredients heated up and drunk hot!

My Dad used to put a towel over his head and face and face down into a bowl of hot water!

Obviously vit C and zinc are meant to help prevent colds...

One of the teachers at this school is convinced I have a cold as I had a sneezing fit in school 2 days ago!!! (it was actually cos this place is so dusty!) She came in yesterday with a packet of green tea and told me it is good for colds!! Very sweet, but I really don't have a cold!

Hope these random thoughts provoke some ideas for your lesson!

Han
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

The salt on the mouth ulcer works. So does Bicarb

Quote Originally Posted by jane_is_ace
    A cure for a sore throat in the middle ages was to thread live worms onto a piece of string (or the middle age equivilant), and tie them around the sufferers neck. As the worms died, the sore throat was meant to die too.

More modern ideas I have been told are to put salt on a mouth ulcer and to eat onions for a sore throat.
    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.