Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's converse in Japanese -- Video Chat Style

Default Let's converse in Japanese -- Video Chat Style

On the day of : 8/28/2010 (Saturday)
    At the time of: 5PM EST (+Daylights savings)
    At the address: speak_japanese - Tinychat
    Last edited by miks; August 29th, 2010 at 03:22.

Default Re: Let's converse in Japanese -- Video Chat Style

Talking with other foreigners in Japanese is a really bad idea, IMO.

Good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

yes, best to stick with the ALT Pidgin then fully commit to one or the other.

誰もあらわれなかったからもうどうでもいいじゃない :/

あらら、ちょっとでも元気出せよ、みっくちゃん。前向き、前向き。

Why is it a bad idea to talk to other foreigners in Japanese? That does't make sense to me.

i think it a wonderful idea, and i rather like it. if you are going to master the language to a decent degree, at some point you have to make the transition from practicing/learning japanese to speaking japanese. one of the ways to make the transition more natural is to speak it with other foreigners who have similar linguistic goals.

if they do not, then we just quote Plath back and forth until we find something that interests us both. just like in that book, the Bell Jar.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    Talking with other foreigners in Japanese is a really bad idea, IMO.

Good luck with it.
    I do it all the time. How else am I supposed to talk to the Chinese lady at her restaruant or the Brazilian guy who pumps my gas or the Russian guy or works at the convenience store????
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Yes, speaking as much as possible is good.
    Last edited by enigmaneo; October 6th, 2010 at 07:51.

OH ALI.

My problem with this is that if you make any mistakes then the others might not pick up on it.

You may also pick up someone elses's mistakes, thinking they're correct.

Having a Japanese class with other non-native English speakers is normal, I had some chinese/koreans in my Japanese classes, but willingly seeking out other crackers when you could probably find someone with proper Japanese near you is a strange idea to me.
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

There's nothing wrong in talking to foreigners who don't know English in Japan

But there's nothing dorkier than a bunch of honkies who all know English to talk in Japanese to each other.

serious question -

what about when you're in mixed company, say a 6 person scenario - 4 japanese people, 2 JET crackers hanging out, drinking. the 4 japanese people dont speak english. the two whitey fords have been in japan for a while and are more than comfortable with the language. everyone is good friends. the lowest common denominator language in the social setting is clearly japanese - is it more natural for the two white people to break the japanese flow by shooting back and forth in English behind their non-english speaking friend's backs because it is their common, native tongue, or is it more natural (and polite?) for all 6 people to just stick to one language for the evening?

The thought of english-speaking whiteys speaking to each other in Japanese makes me cringe. I've been in that situation before and I've tried both, switching to english has always been better for me despite having a Japanese degree, and my Japanese friends have always been fine with it. They are close friends though, and they like the idea of listening to native speakers of english, even if they "can't" speak themselves.

Personally if I'm with Japanese friends and a couple of crackers I'll talk more to the Japanese people because I won't see them as often as the whiteys.

You know you lead a sad life when you cant manage to scrounge up some Japanese people to practice speaking with.
    guys, im not playing anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jandek View Post
    serious question -

what about when you're in mixed company, say a 6 person scenario - 4 japanese people, 2 JET crackers hanging out, drinking. the 4 japanese people dont speak english. the two whitey fords have been in japan for a while and are more than comfortable with the language. everyone is good friends. the lowest common denominator language in the social setting is clearly japanese - is it more natural for the two white people to break the japanese flow by shooting back and forth in English behind their non-english speaking friend's backs because it is their common, native tongue, or is it more natural (and polite?) for all 6 people to just stick to one language for the evening?
    in those situations it's fine. i think the issue was whether it is strange for english speaking people to talk amongst themselves in japanese. to each his/her own, dorkiness aside. can be a good "secret language" if you want to whisper sweet nothings over the phone and other people are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

I have this mental image of being at an izakaya with a load of Japanese people, and these two whiteys turn to each other, and one's like

ANATA DAIJOUBEW?

DAIJOUBEW DESU YOH

YOKATTA DESU NEH

SO DESU NEH

and every conversation ends with the hateful words GO BACK TO CHINA, BITCH

chut up
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    I have this mental image of being at an izakaya with a load of Japanese people, and these two whiteys turn to each other, and one's like

ANATA DAIJOUBEW?

DAIJOUBEW DESU YOH

YOKATTA DESU NEH

SO DESU NEH
    This sounds like my personal hell

when I was at Sophia I had some cracker talk to me in Japanese for some reason, so I just responded back in English.

HOMIE DON'T PLAY THAT GAME

it's a heritage language; wear it with pride.