Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To-do: Trolls.

Default To-do: Trolls.

After that post about the holed and sinking BD, I got to thinking about what measures would be taken if we started having Infinimum (the weird news post threads) or BigBossMan style posters here at ITIL.

I mean, the closest things we have to trolls right now are probably me, Kamoze and Cantdo with the possible inclusion of Dob as friendly angelic troll.

So, Matt and Paul, given that you actually care for this site what would you do?

EDITED to add - that we don't actually have trolls, rather those I have deemed trollish are really cynics and cads.

Thats right Kamoze. I called you a cad.

Default Re: Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    I mean, the closest things we have to trolls right now are probably me, Kamoze and Cantdo with the possible inclusion of Dob as friendly angelic troll.
    Oh, that made me laugh! Thanks for cheering me up, Fyrey!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Default Re: Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey
    Thats right Kamoze. I called you a cad.
    Ding Dong, I'll have you know I'm a cad and a bounder (goes back to twidling his fine terry thomas moustache)

I saw a forum once (can't remember which one, some gaming site) that had a special section for any offensive or abusive threads. The idea was that they would be copied to there to be used as evidence, so when the moderators are thinking of banning someone they can look at their past offenses. And it kinda serves as a warning too, i.e. if your thread or comments get moved there it means you're one step closer to a banning or something.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

hmmm, I`ve been away for a while, and it seems to me that ITIL is actually becoming BD. Seriously, it`s happening.
    Just like they told us it would.
    It`s very sad.

hey paul

I like the new ignore button. I was staying away from this site as I was having to read through alot of shit to find any information

Thanks

kell.

VIP

Yeah, I have to admit I've become a bit concerned lately too. Although ITIL is still nowhere near BD in terms of trolls and other crap, it does appear to have beeen moving in that general direction recently.

Granted, it could just be a general case of winter blues, as some have suggested, so I guess we'll have to see if it picks up in the spring. However, my suspicion is that a number of BDers are moving here to get their forum fix, and those who used to vent their spleen there are now venting it here.

I'm really sad that adding an ignore button has been necessary at all (I remember it was requested before). My preferred approach would be to warn offenders to clean up their act. Otherwise new members looking at the site, who dont know who to have on the ignore list will certainly get a bad impression.

And to those who start getting on the ignore list... why bother?

I've got a couple of ideas, and I'll PM them to Paul and see what comes out.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    My preferred approach would be to warn offenders to clean up their act. Otherwise new members looking at the site, who dont know who to have on the ignore list will certainly get a bad impression.

Matt
    Agreed.

I'm a big fan of using sensible moderation to help keep things in check. It would perhaps be worth looking at how other forums deal with trolls and whatnot, and see how we might improve our current approach.

It all depends on how much enforcement you want to do. I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading these posts, but they do detract from the original topic, and might prove very distracting to many readers. I think it should be in our remit to allow occassional the veering off of the topic, but should the thread completely ignore the original conversation, it should be split off and moved to the correct forum (I only know a little about the phpbb splitting system, so I think there may be some limitations with this idea that we would need to investigate).

In terms of offensive posts, there is a fine line between acknowledged (and friendly) rivalries, and posts that go beyond that. Only a few posts have gone past that - one by TS which he recanted after you saw it (long ago) is an example of a post that crossed the line, in my opinion.

After that, should a thread (like download anime) pop up, I think it is fair to make a post stating why it was locked, and then lock it. If a topic, while okay to begin with, veers towards lockable material, a warning in the thread should be sufficient. If it continues to warrant locking, then it is locked.

Ultimately, the above is just my opinion. You will have your own opinions as to what suits you. Personally, I'd much rather us continue the way that we have always been, but I acknowledge that should there be legitimate worry, it would be worth investigating other options.

I agree with most of what Cornelius said. I hate that we have an ignore button now, I think it's childish and pointless. The moderators of this site have done a great job so far, so I'd much rather rely on them to determine what needs to be locked or whatever.

People look at this site for different reasons. For those simply seeking information, I can see how it could get annoying. However, I view at as more of a community and a place to pass a boring day! Therefore, if threads veer off into weird areas, then so be it (I know I'm one of the guilty ones.) Splitting threads to move them to a more appropriate place kinda reminds me of bigworm's hijack thread.

I'm quite happy with the occasional large-scale veering (passes the day), but it is worth thinking about who this site is aimed at, and what constant thread hijack means.

If we are using this as a discussion site, with the sharing of valuable information, then applying some moderation to the threads would be beneficial - especially for those who are seeking answers to questions, as it becomes easier to read.

However, if this is like a coffee shop where you can hang out with your web-accquaintences, then threads that shift and change in the breeze are more fun. That siad, to the outside it could look more than a little cliquey.

What is interesting is to note how much I find the latter type of threads reflect the chatroom (when I was in it a year ago) - a series of funny conversations loosely held together by things people actually wanted to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius
    to the outside it could look more than a little cliquey.
    You know, some of my friends here say they don't want to post on this site because it's too cliquey. Maybe a little more moderation is required, but I don't want to see all the fun go!

hey

I dont know what the solution is, but my situation is that I ususally dont have the time or access to surf the net. I only get about 30 min on the net a day and once my emailing is done that leaves me with about 15 min. If I come to this site and I want information or am interested in a topic it is very frustrating to click on that topic and then have to read through all this unrelated stuff.. Corn, I agree with you that the forums often read like a chat room ( i have no problems with chat rooms if I that is what I want)
    anyway that is why I have not been to this site as I find it frustrating, so I have been using the ignore button and it has helped some. But I do find it easier just to google the information that I want

Maybe this site has just become more of a banter/chatting site which is cool for most people.

Right, I've got it.

We divide the existing forums up into a myriad of subcategories. So under General there would be more categories like 'Computer, Anime, News, Rant and Flame'. And under Japan stuff like 'Eating, Living, Travelling, The Future and OMFGROXXORZ Akhihabara' - and you get the picture.

Again, each of those sub categories would have further denominations.

Sounding complicated? Well, heres the clever part. Personalised restrictive tailor made posting.

In a nutshell? Upon registration each new user - outside the old May 2004 Yahoo die hards - would be required to fill out an online survey/aptitude test. Questions like 'Do you hate Fanboys? Yes or No?' and 'I want to be Japanese - does this statement apply to you?'.

Depending on his/her questionairre each user would be restricted to posting only in certain forums/threads, therefore allowing kith and kin to unite and removing the need to flame.

Case study - IniKamoze - do you hate Fanboys? - Yes

User allowed to post everywhere but Anime and Computer.

I hope this Swiftian answer can be implemented.

Thank you.

I like the idea, Fyrey, but I think more forums isn't really the answer. And what about people who want to join in a discussion in a forum that they're inadvertently barred from? And what happens when Ini suddenly gets into Naruto!?!

cant i just have my own forum where I can rant on about the alarming rise in the gerbil population?

A lot like crazy benard the tramp who would shout at the lamp posts?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Sorry, I should have made it more tongue in cheek. I wasn't at all serious.

VIP

Haha, I could tell you were joking Fyrey!

It seems to me that we have three types of users:

1) Researchers.. they come here for info only
    2) Chatters.. they come here to pass the time and stay in touch
    3) Chatty researchers.. they come here to do both of the above

So, the question is, how do we strike a balance that keeps everyone reasonably happy?

The three main forums, JET, Japan, and General seem at first glance to be a good idea.

We could make, say, the JET forum a heavily moderated forum. Generally serious topics, no derailing or silly posts etc. It seems to me that most researchers are asking questions about JET related stuff, but possibly changing the forum description a bit to broaden the range of questions to include stuff about Japan.

The Japan forum could become "Japan Life" or something similar, and be a bit more light-hearted. Funny stories, anecdotes, and some good-natured ribbing would all be perfectly acceptable. But the topics would still be generally Japan and JET related, even if they go off on a tangent every now and then.

The General forum would be for people who just want to chat (seems the chat room is either blocked for lots of people, or we cant be online at exactly the same time...) about anything and everything. Very light moderation to keep out illegal stuff and anything that gets too nasty.

So, what do you think. Is this they way to go, or something different? Opinions? Ideas?

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I like it, Matt.

Sounds good to me.