Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JLPT practice tests

It seems that you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. That sort of puts you in the troll category. I say this because pretty much everyone knows that if you want to get a job or get into school in Japan then the requirement is usually either n2 or n1. So for a job or school only requiring n2, taking the n2 would be a perfectly valid choice. But I think you knew that, which is why you really must be just looking to cause trouble by making statements like only the n1 counts.

Is the n1 more meaningful than the n2?...of course. But is the n2 enough for a lot of jobs and schools?...uh, yeah. I've never heard of anywhere in Japan that required the level 3 or 4, but plenty ask for the 2 or above. Whether or not the n3 will be adopted as a minimum proficiency level by any employers or schools remains to be seen.

Default Re: JLPT practice tests

You should think of N2 as a basic minimum because a few hundred people with 1級 certification will gladly be applying for any job listing N2 as a requirement.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; June 28th, 2010 at 20:23.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

If an employer posted n2 rather than n1 as a requirement then they obviously don't much care if you have n1. Obviously, there are other factors they are looking at such as experience, education, personality, etc. If they can count on hundreds of applicants with n1 applying and n1 were really important to them, then they would require the n1 instead of the n2. If they already have hundreds of applicants just in the pool of people with n1, then they must have thousands included in the pool with n2. Do you really think that human resources wants to sort through thousands of applications?

How about a little logical thinking? If they were planning to just exclude the people who only have n2 and they can count on hundreds of people with n1 applying, they would just require n1 to begin with and save themselves the trouble of having to throw into the garbage thousands of cv's from n2's that they aren't even going to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by dontreadonme View Post
    How about a little logical thinking? If they were planning to just exclude the people who only have n2 and they can count on hundreds of people with n1 applying, they would just require n1 to begin with and save themselves the trouble of having to throw into the garbage thousands of cv's from n2's that they aren't even going to consider.
    Pretty much this, although more qualifications for anything in Japan, never mind the use value, tends to equal extra boner points.

While shooting high does not hurt JLPT wise, no need to be disconcerted if you have n2 but not n1 yet, especially if you have a variety of other marketable skills and qualifications.

I'm just amazed people think they can just do the JLPT and get a job. I've met plenty of people with JLPT 1kyu who can't speak for shit.

If your idea of an ideal job is sitting in an office surrounded by people you can't converse with then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

That sounds a lot like an argument of someone who is jealous that he can't pass 1kyuu.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

No, I'm working towards it, but I just find it incredibly frustrating that so much emphasis is placed on learning kanji that aren't used, and with absolutely no focus on speaking.
    I met an autistic type guy who passed 1kyu after about 2 years of living in Japan, and he could barely hold a conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Yes, it's definitely frustrating that people with very questionable ability to function within the society can be certified as...proficient? Certainly not fluent. Anyway, it's a necessary evil for certain jobs. 1kyuu alone certainly won't get you very far, but it's a good way to help in getting an interview.

As for N2 vs. N1, I just don't see the point in striving for the bare minimum of what you need for a job.
    Last edited by Lego; June 29th, 2010 at 11:18.

ultimately if you have 1kyu, then you can get the basic meaning of most paperwork pretty easily, and you can probably get the gist of conversations somewhat well by listening to them.

was that the purpose of the JLPT from the get-go? lord knows. seems like those are important skills, but if they're all you have, you're fucked. but then, when tests are made in Japan, they balloon into some kind of beast and lose all practicality somewhere along the way. ultimately the jlpt is made by japanese people, so I trust that the content itself is minimally better than the eiken or a college entrance exam's english, but it's still not an end-all be-all.

but hey, I'll take it. the way I see it, it's like one achievement of many. I still have to learn to write lots of the kanji I learned, but reading has become much easier for me. the day I found out I passed the 1kyu, it was like, "okay, now I can focus on speaking and reading everyday japanese."

I find the listening and reading sections of Eiken to be harder than the JLPT, partly because they use lots of idioms and, I think, more difficult vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by dontreadonme View Post
    So do you think that the n3 is pretty much midway between the n4 and n2 or do you think it is closer to the n4 end of the spectrum?

What are you going to do? Are you going to wait until you are ready for the n2 or are you going to take the n3?
    Well, since N2 is beyond me I can't really judge very accurately. It's significantly more difficult than N4 and significantly less difficult than N2, it was easier than I had expected but I think the real test will be harder than the practice questions.

I'm thinking I'm just going to start studying for N2 and then take N3 this winter which should be a breeze by then. Maybe do N2 the next winter.

I can see JLPT qualifications as being of use to employers in that they show a reasonable reflection of your reading ability.
    For example an hour long interview in Japanese is probably going to give them a better idea of your speaking ability than a JLPT including an oral exam would do anyway, but reading ability is harder to measure in an interview without setting an extra exam too.

As other people have said it also might help to show that you aren't a complete chancer and are worth interviewing.

What sort of jobs are people planning on staying in Japan long term aiming for?

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaneo View Post
    Same thing with me. I think I'll just go at it blind, no practice tests and no studying. But N3 based on the questions on the JLPT website is harder than I thought it would be.
    I take that back. Apparently it was easier than I thought. I passed with no problems.

u can see the all level for JLPT here....

Learning Japanese | Hiragana | Kartakana

Quote Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
    u can see the all level for JLPT here....

Learning Japanese | Hiragana | Kartakana
    that site is fucking terrible - every second word is adlinked so you have no idea where the real links are

ok, I've been studying Japanese myself now for about a year - I've not really looked at the JLPT exams, not thinking myself up to much, but... after looking at those, the Level 4 seems fairy straight forward. (Well, the "old" level 4 from 2005, 6 ones that I did look at).

Think it's worth me sitting the exams, or waiting until I think I can challenge a higher level? (Or, do I need to get 5 before 4, and 3 before 3 etc?)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    ultimately if you have 1kyu, then you can get the basic meaning of most paperwork pretty easily, and you can probably get the gist of conversations somewhat well by listening to them.
    i dunno I would argue that with 2kyuu you could do this alright. I can read the papers I get at school and I understand most conversations very clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    i dunno I would argue that with 2kyuu you could do this alright. I can read the papers I get at school and I understand most conversations very clearly.
    yeah, but remember that you've basically been immersed that whole time. compare yourself with someone who got 2kyu in America and has never lived here. I'm willing to bet your listening skills and general intuition are much better for having been here.

I miss last JLPT exam, can any body tell me when will be the next JLPT exam?

Quote Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
    I miss last JLPT exam, can any body tell me when will be the next JLPT exam?
    Spambot ahoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.