Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: post-JET visa

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    Just get married!
    Haha, everyone says that :B

And I'm a 5th year, so I've had my visa renewed once. I have an "extension permit" with the expiration of 29/07/2013. It seems like that would mean I'm okay until then, but like I said CLAIR's pretty 'no you get out now' with all their information.

Just get a job that starts in August, problem solved.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Just get a job that starts in August, problem solved.
    That'd be ideal but I want to stay around Sapporo and haven't had much luck finding anything here.

you have a "work" visa so its only valid if you are working. now if you were to go a couple of weeks without a job it shouldnt be an issue. Of course if the police pull you over to do a random check you might find yourself in hot water.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Of course if the police pull you over to do a random check you might find yourself in hot water.

does this actually happen? In my Japan they seem to do their best to stay away from foreigners.

Default Re: post-JET visa

happens more often than you'd think. Less so in small towns where everyone knows you. I get stopped about 4-5 times a year

hmmm, thanks for the info. Guess I'll start looking more seriously into Honshu stuff. I have a ton of money saved so I'm set there for a while but the visa thing's kind of freaking me out.

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. I'll be finishing up JET in Yamanashi and have been offered a job in Tokyo as a salaryman starting in August. I'm waiting for the company to set my visa up but I'm wondering if there is anything that I need to know or do in the meantime that they may not be telling me.

I'm currently looking for an apartment so if anyone has any advice on that as well I'd really appreciate it.

You might want to get your tax documents together as immigration will probably want to see them. You'll also want to give your new company your pension details (unless of course you are leaving the country, claiming a pension refund and coming back on a new visa)

I am still a little confused about some things. For a JET not recontracting but staying for a second job...

1. How long do they have to change the visa, if they need to, after their job ends? Is it one month? So after one month if they didn't update the visa accordingly they are in Japan illegally and can get into deep caca?

2. If the former JET gets a job related to what is in the visa "instructor of English" or whatever it is, they can continue to use their unexpired visa for the new job? Ones at public shools but not universities or eikaiwas?

1. you have 3 months grace to find a new job, longer if there are "justifiable reasons". Once you've started your new job you should change your status if required. Not sure about the time frame, just use common sense (dont miss your first day of work to do it but don't wait 6months)

2.yes

I'm in a similar but more complicated situation, so I would love some advice too. I've decided to leave JET this year (which also happens to be my 3rd year), so of course I don't have any time remaining on the visa.

My visa expires on September 10th. What are my options, if I don't find a suitable job within this timeframe? Can I apply for the 30-day extension or will I definitely have to go the tourist visa route?

Quote Originally Posted by artpop View Post
    I'm in a similar but more complicated situation, so I would love some advice too. I've decided to leave JET this year (which also happens to be my 3rd year), so of course I don't have any time remaining on the visa.

My visa expires on September 10th. What are my options, if I don't find a suitable job within this timeframe? Can I apply for the 30-day extension or will I definitely have to go the tourist visa route?
    You can switch your work visa to a tourist visa which will give you more time in the country, but you'll also have to leave the country in order to change it back to a working visa.

If you don't have a work contract to show a new employment then correct, you most likely can't renew your visa. Keep in mind you can start the renewal process very early, so if you score a job before you finish on JET you can ask them for a work contract or even just a letter saying they're giving you a contract. When you apply for a visa renewal, you're given an extension of a couple of months to cover the processing time, so even if you apply on the last day of validity, you're in the clear.

If you don't apply for an extension and overstay your visa, expect to be beaten in a cell for a month before being deported.
    I thought it was time to use a sig