Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July 2010 JLPT- thoughts?

Default July 2010 JLPT- thoughts?

Who else took it on Sunday?

I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed in myself. I took N2, and while it was difficult, I realized that if I had actually buckled down and studied hard for the preceding months I could have passed easily. Pretty sure my listening was close to full points, so if I had actually known my kanji and grammar to a somewhat acceptable level I totally would have nailed it.

I went in expecting to fail though and very likely did.

What about you?
    Last edited by patjs; July 5th, 2010 at 19:48.

Default Re: July 2010 JLPT- thoughts?

I found listening a breeze too. I spent months doing grammar and kanji, I found it a challenge in places but I guess we'll see in September. Some of the reading was a bit silly though, words that needed furigana, (so we wouldn't know them) but no explanation of what the words actually meant?

Also did you find it frustrating that so much stuff in the listening test was written in hiragana rather than kanji?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Yeah I think even if I had studied hard there would have been some rough spots, but looking at the chinese scans of the test I realize that I made a couple of really dumb kanji mistakes, but did pretty decent on the grammar I think.

I agree that some of it was just ridiculous. The one short passage about trees and the environment totally went over my head.

I don't know why the listening had so much hiragana. Why not just have some of those answers with furigana like the other options... very bizarre.

took 1kyu.. for the 3rd time.

I definitely thought the new N1 was easier (less difficult?) than the past two 1kyu tests I've taken, but I don't think I can get over 70 in the vocab/kanji/grammar/reading section... and because of the new scoring I can't count on the listening (easy!) to bump up my percentage.

I got a 62 and a 63 the past times... I know I won't pass pass, but my goal is for a total score of 70 or more.

I appreciate the later start and only one break, though. It was lame to have all of those breaks to sit around and do nothing while all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off

Quote Originally Posted by saritajuanita View Post
    all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off
    THIS. I took N1 yesterday and I think there were about 20 Chinese kids to every westerner, and they were all just chatting away like they owned JLPT N1, which they clearly did.

I thought the listening was the easiest section. I appreciated the absence of mundane graph questions. As for the 言語知識 section, I though the reading comprehension was a breeze. The grammar was the hardest section, and my kanji answers left something to be desired for. I didn't go in expecting to pass, but overall it was easier than I had anticipated. I guess we will all find out come September.

I definitely thought the new N1 was easier (less difficult?) than the past two 1kyu tests I've taken, but I don't think I can get over 70 in the vocab/kanji/grammar/reading section... and because of the new scoring I can't count on the listening (easy!) to bump up my percentage.

I got a 62 and a 63 the past times... I know I won't pass pass, but my goal is for a total score of 70 or more.

I appreciate the later start and only one break, though. It was lame to have all of those breaks to sit around and do nothing while all of the chinese kids (who for some reason all know each other?) chat and goof-off
    Has this been clearly explained anywhere by them? They say in the booklet that you have to get a "passing score" in each of the 3 sections which will be "determined later" by them (isn't this something they should be transparent about??)

Do you actually have to get 60% in each section to pass? Because then in their score breakdown they were showing that 34% and above was considered a "B" for fair grade. I think if they make the line something like 40 or 50 I may have actually passed the test... but if you have to get 60 in each section I probably failed.
    Last edited by patjs; July 6th, 2010 at 07:28.

the three sections being 文字/語彙・文法・読解 and then a separate category for 聴解? or is the breakdown more like 文字/語彙/文法・読解・聴解?

it sounds like they are waiting to grade the new tests and see how everyone did before setting any standards for meting out pass/fail certificates.

I took lvl2 also. As everyone else said, listening was pretty easy. Reading wasn't too bad imo. However, grammar/kanji/vocab owned me. Some of the stuff I studied was on the test, but I just didn't study for long enough in prep for this.

There's always next time i guess.

N2. I may have passed, but time turned out to be an issue. The language section may have gone OK, but I took my time and this forced me to rush some of my answers in the reading. Considering there's only 21 questions and you have to pass every section, that kind of concerns me. I had a few too many "do they mean this or this?" moments.
    Last edited by Lego; July 6th, 2010 at 10:28.
    minor rant: abe vigoda

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    looking at the chinese scans of the test
    Where are these, if you don't mind me asking (instead of, say, googling)?

EDIT: They're here, by the way.
    Last edited by Taurus; July 7th, 2010 at 00:32.

I took N3, not much prep for it. Not sure if I passed or not, listening and and vocab was easy. Reading wasn't too bad, grammar owned me.

No one said you need to get over 70% in each section. They just said you need to get a minimum acceptable score in each section, but they haven't made it clear what that minimum acceptable score is. But I'm thinking you would still need over 70% overall to pass, since they said the pass line is the same as the old test.

Has this been clearly explained anywhere by them? They say in the booklet that you have to get a "passing score" in each of the 3 sections which will be "determined later" by them (isn't this something they should be transparent about??)

Do you actually have to get 60% in each section to pass? Because then in their score breakdown they were showing that 34% and above was considered a "B" for fair grade. I think if they make the line something like 40 or 50 I may have actually passed the test... but if you have to get 60 in each section I probably failed.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the A, B, C system. If a B is 34-67%, then the minimum acceptable score is probably somewhere in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by jandek View Post
    the three sections being 文字/語彙・文法・読解 and then a separate category for 聴解? or is the breakdown more like 文字/語彙/文法・読解・聴解?

it sounds like they are waiting to grade the new tests and see how everyone did before setting any standards for meting out pass/fail certificates.
    The three sections being graded are kanji/vocab/grammar, reading comprehension, and listening. Each section is a maximum 60 points, and 180 points for the entire test.

I passed 1kyuu in 2008 but I was curious about the new test and wanted to review so I signed up for N1. I almost chickened out and didn't go because I was like saritajuanita and thinking I needed to get at least 70% in every section. I'm fine with kanji and grammar, but my vocab is kind of weak and I was only getting around 70% for that section on practice tests. A little bit too close for me and I hate failing so I didn't want to risk it. But then I saw the guide to the new JLPT on the website and saw the bit patjs mentioned, and I regained some confidence and mustered up the courage to go. I think I did alright. Probably about the same as last time.

I like how the new test takes some emphasis off of kanji, vocab, and grammar, and places more emphasis on reading and listening. I also like the new format of the listening problems. I think overall the newer test is a much better measure of Japanese ability. Now all it needs is a speaking test.
    Last edited by keekers; July 6th, 2010 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by keekers View Post
    I like how the new test takes some emphasis off of kanji, vocab, and grammar, and places more emphasis on reading and listening. I also like the new format of the listening problems. I think overall the newer test is a much better measure of Japanese ability. Now all it needs is a speaking test.
    agreed! less rote memorization of isolated terms and more actually understanding Japanese.

I do miss the pictures in the listening section, though. I think that kind of practice is pretty relevant... except the test a couple years ago which included a little boy telling his mother that he can't have cake D because he doesn't like cake with holes .... ???

Quote Originally Posted by keekers View Post
    No one said you need to get over 70% in each section. They just said you need to get a minimum acceptable score in each section, but they haven't made it clear what that minimum acceptable score is. But I'm thinking you would still need over 70% overall to pass, since they said the pass line is the same as the old test.
    ahhh I see. I guess I got some bad information. Well, that is alright. I may have a shot at passing if that's the case, since listening was cake (without holes) and reading wasn't horrible.
    Last edited by saritajuanita; July 6th, 2010 at 17:15.

For people who took N2, how much time would you say is adequate prep to prepare for the test? Obv. everyone has their own pace, but I'm starting to study now for the December test. My goal is ten words a day, and two to three grammar points each week. I took the old level three test and passed, but it was a barely passing. Do I stand a chance at all? (I plan to take it this December and if I fail I will continue studying and take it again in the summer)
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

There are a lot of grammar points but some are pretty easy to grasp quickly in my opinion. I'd focus on the more complicated grammar points and just do like you said and study kanji/vocab daily. Reading can be kind of overwhelming at first if you aren't used to it. I try to read almost every memo that I get at school while looking up words I don't know and I call that studying. I think it helped me get used to reading Japanese faster and generally comprehending the gist of stuff. You definitely don't have to understand every single word of every single article. I find that sometimes even if a lot of the content goes over my head, the questions at the end aren't that hard.

It's weird I honestly didn't care so much about this test until I remembered I had signed up and I only had a few weeks left. I think if I had buckled down for a few months I could have passed. If you have the drive to actually keep up with daily study you can do it. I know someone who came to Japan with introductory Japanese knowledge and passed 2 kyuu within 2 years.
    Last edited by patjs; July 6th, 2010 at 19:59.

I don't know why the listening had so much hiragana. Why not just have some of those answers with furigana like the other options... very bizarre.
    To trip up the chinese people.
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

It's always been toned down like that on the listening section. I guess they figure people can't read kanji "fast enough".
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

My thoughts compared to the last one

1. Vocab/Kanji - Way harder
    2. Grammar - Way harder
    3. Reading - Way easier though that nearly hidden use of 除きます in the last reading almost got me.
    4. Listening - Way easier
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; July 7th, 2010 at 12:50.
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    My thoughts compared to the last one

1. Vocab/Kanji - Way harder
    2. Grammar - Way harder
    3. Reading - Way easier though that nearly hidden use of 除きます in the last reading almost got me.
    4. Listening - Way easier
    which level did you take, minister?

(郷に入っては郷に従え.)