Thread: Battleship Game

Default Battleship Game

I was considering doing a grid game similar to Battleship but using different words for the coordinates. Anyone else done anything like this and do you think it would work. :idea:
    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

Yes... Definitely.

I have been playing it for weeks! (Adapting it for different classes and vocabulary.)

It does take a wee while to explain so it it helpful to play it with your JTE first to make sure he/she understands it. I have found that most students stay focused even in my worst classes. And MUST speak English for the game to work... The only problem I had was with inchi nensei students who couldn't read the English alphabet... What would you think about adding pictures or Katakana to help... ? If the students are in mixed ablity pairs they could support each other, but good luck explaining this to the teachers! hee hee! (The student who couldn't read were counting the squares!! - in this case they needed the basic ABC 123 version, but differentiation within the class is not allowed - in my classes.)

I have done Battleships with

Dates - Months on the X axes and and Dates on the Y axes.

Can/Can't - I can/can't, He can/can't, She can/can't - ride a bike, drive a car etc

Asking permission - May I, Can I, Is it alright if I etc and watch TV, play baseball, etc

Instead of saying HIT or MISS, you can get the students to say "YES", or "SURE!" or "NO, SORRY"

You can adapt it to almost anything.

I had a JTE write some Japanese instructions on my worksheet which helps as the rules and instructions in the JET Team Taught Pizza book is apparently poor Japanese....

Some kids (and teachers!) like to draw elaborate boats!

Have fun!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

The version I play has the kids draw 2 humans, 4 dogs, and 10 cats, worth 10, 5, and 1 point respectively, total of 50 pts. It takes the search and destroy fun out of battleship, but it's easier to explain. Subjects are generally across one axis, and either verbs or objects are across the other axis. I have the kids draw all the figures first and then get in pairs. When they have drawn everything and are looking at their partner they understand the point a whole lot better. Of course reading practice for all included vocab and then a few sample sentences, showing the referenced cell, are necessary before you turn them loose.

We did this. very difficult to explain, but very easy to play, and they spoke English and participated for the whole class period.
    We did making plan for the grid. The down side had can you/do you want you/Would you like to/ and then the accross side had go to the movies/have dinner/see a dragon's game etc. Then if they had a mark on the space they said "I'd love to" for hit, and "I'm sorry, I can't." for miss.