Thread: Kindergarten help!

Default Kindergarten help!

I have to do an hour at a kindergarten next week. I've done ES ichinensei before and their attention spans were really short. These kids are even younger so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience at kindergarten? Anything that worked really well that can fill an hour?

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Kindergarten help!

I have never taught at a youchien.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Janken? Get them to play with you, they should know 1 2 3, teach them rock paper and scissors (toilet paper is a good way to get them to laugh, which usually means they'll remember it) and then stand them all up.

They play vs you, and if they lose, they sit down. If they draw or win, they stay in. Seriously they love it. Do that a few times and then when it gets to the last 2 or 3 have them come up to the front and play vs each other.

Then NIGHTMARE MODE, where if they lose OR draw they sit down, that goes a lot quicker.

----

Drawing/colouring will go down well too. Teach them colours and hand out crayons, get them to draw things? Colour bingo? That shit rocks, bingo grid, they colour it in and you then play bingo. Teaching colours is easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    Janken? Get them to play with you, they should know 1 2 3, teach them rock paper and scissors (toilet paper is a good way to get them to laugh, which usually means they'll remember it) and then stand them all up.
    They may not be able to Janken at all yet (seriously, One of my 1st year classes this year we had to do English Janken REALLY slowly, confirming in Japanese who won etc as they hadn't really learnt it yet)

Just teach a few words like colours or fruits or something, then play fruits basket.

Check genkienglish.net as well for ideas (though some games are sorta complicated)
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Yeah my supervisor was like "they want you to do games you did back home" and I cannot remember anything before junior high school anymore. I mean I could play duck duck goose I guess but I think there's a similar japanese equivalent...

I will just do fruit basket and if there's time maybe try a janken tournament. I don't quite understand the point of having the ALT go for one single visit.

Honestly, it probably won't matter; the kids will go berserk just to see you. I fuckin' love going; I don't have to really do anything, and the kids react to me as though I were Jesus arriving on a flying unicorn. Just do random things, sing a song (believe it or not, they may already know the alphabet song and H, S, K & T (and they never get tired of that shit, especially if you change the speed up on 'em). Play tag, or freeze tag. Duck duck goose would be fine. Red rover might be fun. Read to 'em. Go through some animal cards with them, making animal sounds when you do (the more hilarious, the better). Lots of times, the school will already have some animal cards and shit you can use. Just be goofy and genki and don't stress about it; the kids will be so excited to have a silly gaijin monkey in their midst, they wouldn't care if you just ran around acting stupid for an hour or two. Neither would the teachers.
    Last edited by word; July 23rd, 2010 at 13:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to give up worrying about teaching and just see how it goes. I actually spent a few days at the pre-school the past 2 summers, but that was purely as a helper/monkey/whatever and there was no expectation for me to actually teach anything. This time it seems like they kind of want me to teach English, but too bad.

Just bumping this thread as I've got one lesson with them tomorrow. I like the color bingo/picture idea. Is there even a point in giving an intro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Banned

sing some songs, dick around, if you are doing colors they tend to like playing iro oni. Dont bother with an intro, nobody will be listening and nobody will remember what you said 5 minutes after you leave.