Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Default 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Yes, maybe this seems a tad over- enthusiastic, (or over-genki:P) but just wanted to say hi and wish everyone heading off to Japan luck, and have an amazing year!

I'm hoping to apply for next year, its always been my dream to go to Japan! Still have to do my final year in college so probably should be focusing on that..but anyway I've been lurking long enough, thought I'd post now since I'll be on this site a lot during the year, having a look to see how everyone is getting on and getting some advice!
    Are there any other future applicants around- it'd be nice to talk to people who'll be going through the same stuff?
    xx

Default Re: 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Best of luck but please don't come to Japan to work, if coming to Japan is your dream. Living here as a student I loved the place, but working here made me start to hate it.

If you can, save up some money and come over for a short holiday first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Current JET alternate that's resigned to the fact that i'll have to apply again next year. My advice would be to start thinking about what areas might be a bit weak in your application and beef them up a bit if you can. I'm trying to work a bit on my Japanese (almost impossible without a class, but I'm trying) and international relations since experiences outside the country are kinda out of the question right now. Also think about who you might want for references and maybe explain to them a bit about what the program is and what they are looking for. Good luck to you and everyone else applying for next year.

This year will be the first year I'm applying, but from what I gathered the key to getting in is to be patient, outgoing, and to double check everything. My friend made it into the program for 2010 and another friend of mine made it in 2009.

Still, I'm nervous and excited at the same time that I'm finally able to try out for this. X3
    "I can't prove it, but I can say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    Best of luck but please don't come to Japan to work, if coming to Japan is your dream. Living here as a student I loved the place, but working here made me start to hate it.

Yeah agreed on some points. If you love Japan and end up with a crap placement, you'll become resentful of Japan.

However, having money now and my own apt as opposed to the school dorms and no money from when I was studying abroad is awesome. I have enough funds to pretty much do whatever I want without having to worry about it. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post

Crab may not like his situation, but I love mine. JET can be hit or miss but I'd still recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

It's easy money and rent is (often, not always) cheap. Recommended. I had never been before I started working here and I'm okay with it, but it's not really "magical" or terribly different from my life at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

No no don't get me wrong, my placement's actually pretty great. I just think if it's someone's dream to come to Japan, having to spend every day teaching might sour it somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartNana View Post
    However, having money now and my own apt as opposed to the school dorms and no money from when I was studying abroad is awesome. I have enough funds to pretty much do whatever I want without having to worry about it. It's great.
    Yeeaaah my first time studying here I was lucky enough to be here at all and really had to watch my money so some things I just couldn't enjoy as much. I was pretty much living off of Cup Noodles and conbini sandwiches. It's nice to have enough money now to, you know, actually do stuff.

Another 2011 hopeful checking in. I've had my eye on heading to Japan for a while now, and after researching the program through the official sites and various ALT blogs, it's looking like the ideal bridge between undergrad life and whatever I decide to do with my degree afterward. I'm already itching to start the process, but all I can do right now is wish the current batch good luck, hang around here, and brush up on my Japanese.

Don't bother, the end is nigh.

Haven't you guys been saying that every year though?

Cool to see other possible future JETS, and thanks for the advice!I've been hearing a lot about the JET being on the way out,hopefully it'll last a few more years though...
    Yeah, I've been lurking here and on the other JET boards a while reading all the horror stories-isolated inaka placements, not so great work colleagues and mute students so I'm pretty much gonna go into it expecting the worst, plus its probably the only way I'll get over there fresh out of college and broke! I agree with dozer, it'd be bridge between college and getting a proper job :P ..maybe the good will outweigh the bad..?
    Gonna really try work on my Japanese too, cant do any classes in my final year in uni so it'll be self study! Kinda want to get started too, might chicken out between now and next year!

Another 2011 hopeful checking in. I almost applied in 2010 but never would have got the stuff ready in time. Also working the extra year means i've got more saved up, am 'better' at Japanese ("Biiru o kudasai" is all i need, right?) and can visit the country a few more times. Like i'm going to be doing on Sunday, for instance.

I've already got my degree transcript and have contacted my university project supervisor about one reference (which ough to come soon) and will ask my boss for the other at an opportune moment. I also got a new passport and really need to have big 'photocopying' session of ID and the degree certificate sooner rather than later.

My friend applied last year and didn't even get an interview, so i "learned from her mistakes", by which i mean i assumed her application just had "OMG KAWAII BISHIES ^_^ ^_^" written across it diagonally in red marker pen. As i'm not in any way an "otaku" (i last watched an anime all the way through in September... on a plane where it was one of the only good things available) and as I actually know stuff about my own country which i can "exchange" I hope that will give me an edge over the applicants who just want to loot Akihabara. (And/or braying ivory-tower middle class twerps who want to see the world's unique and wonderful cultures whilst simultaneously ridiculing/denying the existence of thier own).

I also live in uber-inaka at home. Somebody on here was whinging about being in a village with "only" 700 people that was "all of" 1.5km from the nearest railway station. My heart bleeds.

I think you should adopt a similar tone in your personal statement.

Ah that is a bit different. My nearest one is hardly close but about 1.5 hours away if you walk on your hands. Mind you this is Britain so the train will still be 3 hours late, loads of time.

Ha! I laugh at your so called "country living". My place is so country that our Notary was also a daiquiri parlor. No fastfood stores. We have one gas station that is also the grocery store and if it doesn't carry what you need you have three options:

1) Drive an hour and forty minutes to the nearest city.
    2) Grow it yourself.
    3) Slaughter it yourself.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I look very suspiciously like an otaku. I did run an animation club, but I am actually trying to be an animator so it makes sense. I do not plan on working in animation in the country of Japan, my greatest hope is to work in SFX and create explosions for a living.

I did live with a Japanese roommate for two years. It was awesome because she and I learned a lot from each other. I taught her how to cook Louisiana food, Cajun culture, and how to say "friggin sweet". She taught me about girl issues in Japan, such as best places to shop, best foods to try, how women are expected to act in Japan and general help with pronunciation. I am also OBSESSED with tea. I think that could go for anyone that is not an otaku. Especially, if I explain how tea was used to help me learn about Japan's agriculture.

like I said. I sound like an uncouth anime obsessed nerd, but I can easily explain my hobbies in a way that make me sound good. I hope.

You don't have to mention your animation club or whatever you think might make you look like an otaku in your SOP, which is the most important thing. Just answer the questions that they ask in a consise, yet intelligent manner.

It's a little depressing reading this thread remembering how optimistic and excited I used to be.

I dunno; I kinda like it. I'm already lookin' forward to a new crop of noobs. Who knows, maybe we'll get a decent bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.