Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Default Re: 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Thanks for the advice, guys. Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the prof that likes me better, rather than the tutoring supervisor that doesn't really.

Juulz: I saw that too. So glad they finally updated it! Now, to get those letters of recommendation...

Default Re: 2011 hopefuls! And good luck to 2010 JETs!

Hey there - long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in the middle of filling out my application form and boy do I want this pretty badly. I'm hoping my past experiences will give me a bit of a boost during the application process. I'll be graduating from an economics degree but my grades haven't always been spectacular. I've done two 10 week teaching placements (primary school) in India and Kenya and I'm currently running a volunteering society on campus. I've also been fortunate enough to have gone on an expedition in Mongolia for a month a few years ago. I took a year out of college to work, so I've worked full-time for a year. So yeah, they're the positives, but I don't have any Japanese whatsoever (though I'm eager to learn) - even though it has always been my number one dream destination. Reading some of the threads here, it isn't crystal clear what the JET folk are looking for. I have specified that I would prefer an urban setting and two of my three choices are designated cities (with a large JET intake). Can this hurt my chances? Because I'd ultimately go anywhere, but at the same time, I know I'd be much happier near an urban environment with a dense/diverse population.

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself...I'm trying to keep my expectations low!