Thread: 2010 JETs... hallo?

Default 2010 JETs... hallo?

HAY guys,

this is my first visit to itil post departure. just wondering if the 2010 guys got to your places ok. how are your towns? your co-workers? have you had a pretty eventful first coupla weeks? would be great to hear from ya'll!

i'm pretty much surrounded by rice fields. there's a 7-11, lawsons, a grocery store, and a DIY spot in the neighborhood... so i guess it's not all that bad. also the beach and train station are about 20 minutes out from me. still no internet or TV at home though.

the people in the town have been SUPER nice. they've definitely been taking good care of me. it looks like i'll be teaching 1 jhs and visiting 2 elementary school every now and then. overall, pretty stoked with how everything has turned out.

work's been... slow? i was asked to come into school today at 8 am today. the only other person here was the principal. he left about 20 minutes ago. i have no idea wtf i'm supposed to be doing lol.

anyway, so far so good... hope to hear back from ya'll soon!

-fm

Default Re: 2010 JETs... hallo?

Haha your setup sounds the same as mine... except my nearby conbinis are all mom-and-pops, you have to go farther out for the 7-11. And the grocery store is 10 minutes away. Which is also where the beach is! I need to do some exploring.

haha sweet, rural placement for the win. i guess it's safe to assume you got hooked up to the internets at home? have you been going to work everyday? today was supposed to be my first full day and i'm like... the only person here. thinking of cutting out soon.... lol

Yeah I've been going to work since the beginning of the second week. Weird that you're the only one there though. How big is your school?

I have internet at home but it's technically in my pred's name still so it could cut out at any second lol. I really need to look into that.

i have no idea how big/small the school i'm at is. are you all posted at a "base school" or at the BoE office?

and holy wtf? someone venture out to kabukicho and not make it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    Did anybody hear a story about some poor sucker in Group B getting the shit beaten out of him in Kabukicho? I heard vague rumors and I really really wanna confirm them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    probably bullshit, every year there are rumours like this of some twat running around getting the shit kicked out of him / running nude through the keio / doing drugs / getting drunk during a seminar etc.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Banned

I did at least one of those during a tokyo conference

You know all those warnings about Kabuki-cho were nonsense, right? I guess by Japanese standards it is abunai insofar as you might be overcharged if you wander in like a big yokel to a random place, but anyone who has common sense and/or has lived in a city with ACTUAL bad areas should not have problems there.

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    You know all those warnings about Kabuki-cho were nonsense, right?
    I literally laughed when they warned us about kabukicho. Yes, it's terrifying and so edgy, watch out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    They're FUCKING MEETING ABOUT POTATOES AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    You know all those warnings about Kabuki-cho were nonsense, right? I guess by Japanese standards it is abunai insofar as you might be overcharged if you wander in like a big yokel to a random place, but anyone who has common sense and/or has lived in a city with ACTUAL bad areas should not have problems there.
    But then again there really are a lot of clueless dipshit newbs who get themselves into shit so.........

Quote Originally Posted by kawyn View Post
    But then again there really are a lot of clueless dipshit newbs who get themselves into shit so.........
    woa woa, we may be clueless newbies but we're not all dipshits!! at least, i don't think we are...

Not all the newbies of course! But there is a good percentage of them that make you wonder how they got in at the first place.

Our TOAs took our JETs to Kabukicho, or so I hear.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

HAHAHAHA Alphabet, I can't believe they picked HIM to be ToA of all people, I went out with him at like 4 am one night in Tokyo and he was like FUCK YEAH YOU CAN FUCK YOUR JHS STUDENTS
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

I remember a Japanese guy took me there once and told me "this is the most dangerous place in Japan" but I imagine they think that because of all the black people/ yakuza image.

There was a rumor about some guy who got overcharged and tried to run away and had people chasing him all over the place, but apparently this is a rumor every single year? I could see it happening though if you start buying drinks for the hostesses without realizing that each of those drinks could be 1man.

I thought the warnings were a bit ridiculous, and 95% of the other newbs I met seemed clued up enough not to get ripped off. The other 5% left me wondering how they managed to dress themselves each day, but they were a tiny minority.

Did anyone hear about an Irish JET getting killed in a hit and run?

Banned

to be fair that happened in his town after living there for over a year rather than at TO