Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: Lurkers!

Default Attention: Lurkers!

It's September. Applying season will soon be (is?) upon us!

As you've no doubt heard, the JET program has come under heavy criticism within the Japanese government. Some influential people feel that the program is a waste of money. Signs are pointing to the possibility that in the near future, the program may lose some of its funding (possibly a great deal).

It's no surprise. The numbers of JETs accepted in recent years has dropped, and will probably continue to do so. The program will, no doubt, become more competitive, particularly given the state of the world economy (particularly in the US) at the moment.

As I said, you probably know all this.

If you really want to make it into this program, you need every advantage you can get.

Believe it or not, ITIL can help. If you're lurking here, you've no doubt noticed (amidst the stupidity) the incredibly vast volumes of information related to the application process. SoPs have been posted here, advice has been publicly dispensed, constructive (and, on occasion, not-so-constructive) criticism has been offered. It's a veritable treasure.

The community here, however, offers something infinitely more valuable than old posts and dated SoPs. We can help you--you, personally--with advice, assistance, and truly personalized guidance throughout the application process... but we won't do it for just anyone. We'll do it for people we like.

Last year, I helped two people. Oh, I reviewed many SoPs, offered bits of advice, etc... but I really went all out for two folks. I liked them. One had been rejected and the other alternated in the previous year, but they stuck around here, posting, commenting, bein' cool. As they prepared their application, I send them each an unsolicited PM, pages long, containing all the advice I could offer. Some of it, they already knew. Some of it might have helped. When interview season rolled around, I again send them an unsolicited PM containing every bit of helpful info I knew. Again, some of it, they no doubt already knew. Some of it might have helped. They were both shortlisted.

I can't (and don't) take credit for their acceptance. They both seemed pretty grateful, however. Did I make a difference? I'll never know.

No doubt, similar communications took place between other members of this board. People who liked another applying poster helped them. It's the way things work around her.

Every year, right around November, lurkers start popping on, posting SoPs and begging for help. They'll get some help, sure--but it won't be the intensive, personalized assistance that regular posters get.

If you'd really like help from this community, you need to come swim with us down in the deep end. Join us in The Lounge. We're crude, offensive, crazy, and even mean and spiteful at times, but we can also be supportive and helpful in ways most lurkers will never know.

Post when you get time. Offer your opinion about movies and music. Discuss your latest diet plan. Tell us about your adventures in Syrian gay bars, or about the white-hatted stalker on your balcony. Bring a thick skin and a truly all-encompassing sense of humor. Be willing to laugh at yourself.

If you're a cool sort of person, your personality will show in your posts, and people here will come to like you. As you stumble through the applying process, you'll have a whole community holding your hand throughout.

If you lurk without posting much at all, people won't know you well at all, and, while we'll certainly help you if you ask, we won't be quite as willing to go the extra mile for you as we would for a regular poster.

Yes, there is an incredible amount of bullshit thrown around on these forums. Yes, our members (not excluding myself) can be obnoxious and stupid. Yes, we're far from perfect and much of our advice ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

Don't underestimate the community here, however. We'll go a long way for folks we like, and we might just like you. Stop lurking. Come post in The Lounge. Get to know us, and let us get to know you. You just might be really, really glad you did.
    Last edited by word; September 30th, 2013 at 15:39. Reason: "The Lounge" vs. "Anything Goes."
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Attention: Lurkers!

Hey, thanks for the advice ... I haven't even looked in the Anything Goes section (I just found this site about a week ago). Seeing as I'm currently consumed by the prospects of getting in (or not getting in) to the program, and I'm on ITIL every day, I'll be sure to check it out/post!

Just be prepared since the established posters enjoy nothing more than arbitrarily mocking newer posters over just about any little thing. Be ye warned, least ye post about your love of anime, manga and trains.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Ahh yes, I've already come across the normal attempted barbing of comments towards me as a newbie.

I only tend to lurk rather than post because, as a secondary school teacher, I only just have enough time to have a quick read of posts, before I get back into marking or drowning my sorrows. I am currently doing the latter (yay for near-knifing at school by white power supremist students!...urg)! But I have always appreciated the great advice and dedication that goes into this forum, and it certainly always inspires me to apply!

Azrael isn't that bad unless provoked...

AG is pretty much sink or swim, more sink if you take forum debates and the like too seriously.

But if you seriously want to get a place on the JET Programme it would worth your while to get involved, use the search function then ask questions. There's always little nuggets of info floating around, amongst everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    I only tend to lurk rather than post because, as a secondary school teacher, I only just have enough time to have a quick read of posts, before I get back into marking or drowning my sorrows. I am currently doing the latter (yay for near-knifing at school by white power supremist students!...urg)! But I have always appreciated the great advice and dedication that goes into this forum, and it certainly always inspires me to apply!
    Double this. I'm working two jobs at the moment and just started classes again, so I've normally only lurked when I got some down time at work. But these forums seem to have the most helpful advice I've come across for the application process.
    Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell. Musty and, and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is, uh, it... it has no texture, no, no context. It's, it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then, then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um... smelly.

Bravo! You've got a lot of heart mr.word

I would like to be active on this forum. I've got more information on the application process and in general on JET than anywhere else. However being active would mean sooner or later it would be easy to guess who i am to anyone involved with JET recruitment and i do not like the idea of having everything i post scrutinised. I think for me personally being active is a bit of a double edged sword. I also remember reading a post where someone said that someone involved with JET "did not like the attitude" of posters here. So surely not being associated with such a collective during recruitment would be a good thing? If i do get accepted onto JET i would certainly be active and help out future applicants/JETs as much as i could but for now i would rather lurk instead of being active as i'd rather not risk anonyminity for the outside chance that a veteran might decide "hey! this guy seems cool, i'll really go out of my way to help him."

This probably seems like a provocative post for a new guy but i just want it to be understood why I (and possibly others) would rather lurk for now. Sorry!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Banned

you can still be active, just keep to general questions and dont post you sop, you can always just pm it to someone to read over. Theres no need to post "hi! I'm steve from middlesborough! I enjoy long walks on the beach, fine wine and I have a secret fetish for torturing cats". Ask any questions you like in applying and pop into anything goes to join in the lame attempts at humour.

Great post, word. Stickied!
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Yeah, do not post ANY personal information on here.

I disagree though. ITIL was a great resource for me pre-JET, but I got all my info from searching the forum's extensive history. It was nice during JET too and I still read it now I'm back in reality (sob). Sure, engaging in Anything Goes™ might get a one-on-one SOP review from someone but theres tonnes of SOP advice in the archives. I don't like AG, and don't generally post that often.

That said, ITIL is very easily the best resource for an aspiring JET.

I was gonna bring this thread back up in the list, but you beat me to it.

I know a lurker out there, who should just join in already.

Yes Mr. K, I'm talking to you...!

Hi all, I'm fairly new around these parts, I have only recently started looking at JET related websites the past week or 2, although I have been considering applying for JET for a number of years. I do have many questions about the program and how someone like me would get excepted although I think I'll save those for another thread, just saying a friendly hello for now and look forward to some talking in the future.

Delurking now. B-) I've visited this forum since I found out about Jet, and even though I've only been a reader, I feel it's already been immensely helpful. :]

Of course ITIL will think that it has the best JET resources. XD

Personally, I will go about asking someone to help out with my SOP the way I would ask someone to marry me. Take them out to dinner somehow and pop the question there.
    "I can't prove it, but I can say it."

I didn't lurk (joined the forum when I first heard about it) but I see where you're coming from. It seems like a good resource for the application process, which I'd imagine is a nightmare and you'd need all the help you can. I look forward to bugging you all for advice

I joined last year around application time and only posted a handful of times. I must say the board does offer tons of good advice. I remember reading a bunch of old threads about the interview process and what to expect and such.

I haven't been back to ITIL in MONTHS. After not being accepted to JET, I must admit I was pretty disheartened and didn't want to be reminded. But, this time I'm back and even if I bomb again, I'm planning on sticking around .

Man, being rejected definitely put perspective on things. I was SO excited when I first applied, but now I'm having reserved optimism.
    Last edited by Fabrune; September 22nd, 2010 at 01:32.

My excuse for only just registering is that I only just found this site. I'm looking forward to learning from people who've been through the system before - it looks like a bit of a bitch...

Hello, recent Lurker here, wanted to come out of the dark and say that you guys are great in that you don't pull very many punches in your comments and advice. It's fantastic! I was getting tired of ambiguous somewhat lame replies.

I look forward to interacting with you and asking your advice, although, most of my questions have already been answered in past posts... I'm sure something will come up.

Hey! Does anyone know if it makes a difference what consulate you apply to? Some say yea, some say nay...If it will make my chances of getting an interview or being shortlisted greater, I am all down for applying at a different consulate!

Banned

From my experience, it def seems like some consulates are more competitive than others. And I think standards may vary somewhat too. But then again, it's something that is very hard to predict when applying. I don't think there is one that is more heavily subscribed to every year or anything like that, although maybe somewhere like NY.

Just do a stellar application, butter up the referees now and really prepare for your interview. Welcome and good luck!