Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Attention: Lurkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Norsehawk View Post
    I'm from sunny Florida so I don't expect the heat in Japan to be too bad (except for the lack of air conditioning in many places, but I am a bit more worried about the cold of winter where some people report having to put stuff into the refrigerator to keep it from freezing on the shelves. That is a bit more worrisome.
    I too am from Florida and I harbor the same worry about Japanese winters! I have never heard anything quite that extreme, but I imagine that we're in for an interesting experience if we're accepted.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    I too am from Florida and I harbor the same worry about Japanese winters! I have never heard anything quite that extreme, but I imagine that we're in for an interesting experience if we're accepted.

The only hard thing about winter here is a lack of insulation and central heating. Otherwise this winter is a joke.

But then I'm a Canadian who has lived in over -40c for a decent chunk of my winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    The only hard thing about winter here is a lack of insulation and central heating. Otherwise this winter is a joke.

But then I'm a Canadian who has lived in over -40c for a decent chunk of my winters.
    Yeah - I'm assuming it'll get considerably colder than it is now, but apparently my area will only get to -10 or so in the mornings/evenings. It's cold, sure, but not really, really bad. As for insulation and heating - the older houses in NZ don't have either anyway, so that's hardly a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post

Anything under 20c would be a shock to a Floridian. So a Japanese winter would definitely be a shock. Actually, frost on the ground could probably cause an alarm for 20 layers of clothing.

Come to Florida, spend a few years here, you'll understand. It's nothing like the artic tundra of Canada.

On the plus side the humidity will make you feel right at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Re: Attention: Lurkers!

Mmmm nothing else gives me that feels-like-home feeling than walking outside and having the sensation that I'm swimming through air.

It's a wonderful sticky feeling, isn't it?

o.O Texas be better. Dry heat baking.
    いいみで

Unless your on the Gulf of Mexico where it is no different than Florida.

The only thing I am most confident about in transitioning to Japan is my ability to handle the summer heat. I laugh anytime I hear someone mention the "ridiculous Japanese summers." Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by erinmarie View Post
    The only thing I am most confident about in transitioning to Japan is my ability to handle the summer heat. I laugh anytime I hear someone mention the "ridiculous Japanese summers." Story of my life.
    Hahaha, yeah. I see those vids on youtube of people complaining about the heat, and then I find out they're from like Chicago or Denver then I'm just laughing. Story of all our lives down south.

Idk... some dude from FL who lived in Japan came into my bar the other day and basically said, "People from the South think they know humidity until they get to Japan." I wouldn't scoff until you've actually lived it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

When I was in Japan I didn't really have much issue with the heat and humidity. Boy did those Japanese love to mention the heat and complain about it though. One afternoon when I was walking back from school with my host sister and schoolmates they asked if I put deodorant on my face. The rest were sweating profusely while I was not.

But who knows. If I do get into JET I could put elsewhere and there be a lot more humidity and heat than I used to.
    Last edited by asilverthread; December 12th, 2011 at 12:49.

Spend a summer in Miami heat. It's nothing like you've ever imagined. Seriously, Miami is like a whole different world. If that person from Florida was from Orlando or from Gainesville, then possibly... But South Florida?

Naw. It's just different. You can't really explain it, the heat of Florida, especially South Florida, is just not comparable to anywhere else. When you walk on the floor barefooted and it feels wet, despite the fact that you haven't mopped, then you know its humid. I have to keep my posters in frames because they curl up if exposed to the air.

Japanese summers maybe miserable but, man, they can't be any worst than a tropical Florida summer.

My fear is those winters. No insulation? Snow? Cold? That's my fear.
    Last edited by Merkypie; December 12th, 2011 at 13:26.

Well here's to hoping that we all get into JET so we can learn allll about these lovely climate issues. Cheers.
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    Idk... some dude from FL who lived in Japan came into my bar the other day and basically said, "People from the South think they know humidity until they get to Japan." I wouldn't scoff until you've actually lived it.
    Honestly, the summer weather feels the same to me in Japan as it did in Mississippi. The only difference is that I never stayed outside for long and had central air in MS.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyanphino View Post
    Honestly, the summer weather feels the same to me in Japan as it did in Mississippi. The only difference is that I never stayed outside for long and had central air in MS.
    I have to agree with lilyanphino on this. I'm from Nashville, TN and when I stayed in Kyoto from April~August during college one year, I honestly didn't feel a difference in the weather. Sure, I was hot and sweaty, but Nashville has similar weather.

Ah, neat. I'm from AL so maybe I'll be ok. I might die if I end up in Hokkaido though.

hunter, happened to look at the applicant thread and noticed you and asilverthread have not gotten your SASE back yet? I'm almost 100% that I sent my app in -after- you both.

Oh I've gotten back weeks ago. I got it back before the deadline.

I did... I just didn't update. Shwoops. I figured I'd just wait to update when I hear back from them about the interview.