Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: Lurkers!

Thanks!

Urg! The only thing I worry about is the SOP. I have been working on my SOP for at least a couple months! Stupid two page limit. And regardless of all the other ones I read, I still can't really get a hold of it, though I feel I am getting close. I often feel like mine is too 1) dry 2) list-like & 3) LAME. I can't put a good feel of what I'm like in it - just boring details. It's the whole, don't be too creative because it's not professional, thing. Sigh, I should be working on it now....

Guess I will go check out the SOP page some more :P

Default Re: Attention: Lurkers!

A couple months? It's a glorified cover letter. Be succinct. You can still be clever with your writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

I'm just having damn trouble starting my SOP!

I remember you saying it was over the two page limit in another post. Why not send it to someone to proof read and see if there is anything they feel can be taken out?

I hate when i am over the word limit as i am certain everything i have written needs to be mentioned.

Also remember there will be a place in the application form where you need to list hobbies and interests. If you have given much weight to these topics in your SoP, perhaps you can cut them down/out and focus on how you will put those bits in the application itself instead.

I've started writing the actual SOP now, rather than just listing everything I could think of...which of course included every inane hobby/experience/sushi eaten (okay not really) that I could. I had to remember the majority of what I was planning to write I would be including in my actual application (the teaching experience, the extra-curricular etc.)

Somehow it has turned to 12:50am without me realising it while striving over this damn thing...

Hello, long time lurker 'de-lurking'. I found this website about..... a year ago. The information you all provide is quite helpful.

I've started gathering my materials and have been working on my SOP for a while. Trying not to make it sound flowery, but not boring either. It is quite a challenge.

Welcome! I know what you mean about the SoP, there's also you trying to get your character across as well as the required info in the limited space.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Welcome! I know what you mean about the SoP, there's also you trying to get your character across as well as the required info in the limited space.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well thank you. Hopefully I'll end up with a decent paper. I've had classmates and a couple of friends review it so far, but I still don't think its what I'd like it to be.

Banned

Yeah, good point. DO remember that you will list hobbies and countries travelled and stuff in your application. Try not to waffle on in your statement of purpose - try think of the skills/qualities JET wants, show that you have them with an example.

27 guests on right now.

I'm from the future. Ask me questions.

20 Guests on now... c'mon guys, at least sign up to add you names to the application list

Hey any way you can take a quick look over my SOP? You seem to be one of the head ppl here and I figure since you've gone through it before you could offer your learned opinion.

Thanks.

Hi, I just found and joined this forum. My application has been received and I'm just awaiting the confirmation to come in the mail. Wish I had found this place earlier when I was working on the actual application.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

It's cool, there's time for you yet. We can still help on interview questions and stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

If I get an interview... I'm trying to work off worst-case scenarios here, especially after so many disappointments in my job search. Plus, thinking of last year, 5300 applied. I highly doubt all 5300 were granted an interview. I assume that a few hundred of those were disqualified off the bat for missing documents and then another couple hundred thrown out because the applicant doesn't seem to be taking it seriously. I think they already essentially make their list of who they'll pick for the shortlist or alternates from the application alone and then a few extra possible candidates as padding and interview those because 900 interviews are much more manageable than 5300.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think my paranoid ramblings are that out of left field.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTQueen View Post
    If I get an interview... I'm trying to work off worst-case scenarios here, especially after so many disappointments in my job search. Plus, thinking of last year, 5300 applied. I highly doubt all 5300 were granted an interview. I assume that a few hundred of those were disqualified off the bat for missing documents and then another couple hundred thrown out because the applicant doesn't seem to be taking it seriously. I think they already essentially make their list of who they'll pick for the shortlist or alternates from the application alone and then a few extra possible candidates as padding and interview those because 900 interviews are much more manageable than 5300.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think my paranoid ramblings are that out of left field.
    I'm sure that there are those that have enough "points" to essentially be shoo-ins. I doubt that there are many, though. This train of thought is probably not helpful to you, either. Shoot the breeze with us in the applicant section, and mock me in anything goes. Follow word's advice from the start of this thread.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 4th, 2011 at 17:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Just wanna say that the OP in this thread is great. I wish that was the first thing I ever read on a JET forum.

This post convinced me.

Um...hey...

Hello :3 ... maybe?