Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention: Lurkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Milanna View Post
    This.
    I'm assuming anyone seriously considering picking up and moving to Japan for JET is already well aware of this, but two weeks in and I've spent more time with my JTEs (who are kickass btw) outside of school grounds than in. This is at my more "hands on" school too. Other than the massive amounts of guilt that come with sitting around the teachers' room doing nothing for more than half the day, I don't actually mind being a kirei hatsuon tape recorder, but if you actually want to teach, beware. I have to try and find excuses to hang/talk with the kids because they're (mostly) great and hilarious.
    Most ALTs end up as human tape recorders because that's exactly as much effort as they are willing to put out. The rest are just victims of JTEs who find it easier to go with routine, reliable lesson plans that don't require an ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Application time is almost here, and I'm feeling pretty antsy. How's everyone doing? Both of my references are teachers, and I only have their official school emails. The school year just started last week for the first one, so I'm doing the idiot thing of putting it off in hopes she won't be swamped when I contact her. I also started my SoP, but it's a hot mess.
    Don't wait to ask your references and please, please ask more than two people. Give them a deadline that is earlier than the actual application due date. Someone will forget or misunderstand or do it wrong. You really don't want to be asking a back up at 11pm the night before your application is due.
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Milanna View Post
    Don't wait to ask your references and please, please ask more than two people. Give them a deadline that is earlier than the actual application due date. Someone will forget or misunderstand or do it wrong. You really don't want to be asking a back up at 11pm the night before your application is due.
    With mine, it's okay. The teacher has written references for me before, and she was really good about it, but anything in the first week of school is chaos. The other is a professor who's written references for JET many times already, and she's the one who originally told me about the program.

But in general, yeah, don't do like I do. I set bad examples. -_-;;

Default Re: JET applicants JOIN!

The reference that failed me has also done study abroad/JET references before and has a child in JET so I expected more. Just sayin'.
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Application time is almost here, and I'm feeling pretty antsy. How's everyone doing?
    Just sent instructions to one of my references. For my other, I'm waiting to speak to her in person (hopefully sometime this week) as I haven't spoken to her since the spring, but I TAed for her two semesters in College.

I feel like I'm cutting it a little close, but meh...

I haven't started my SOP yet, will be doing that at the end of the month once I leave my current job and get through moving from my apartment. I'm not too worried about the SOP though, more worried about the references right now.

Got my references all ready and I've just started drafting my SOP, does every country get the same guideline to the SOP the UK does? has to be between 800 - 1000 words and specifically cover 3 areas, 1) General Statement. 2) What can you contribute to JET. 3) Teaching Ideas ?
    Von D

Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

The guidelines in the US are: no more than two pages, relevant experience (qualities, skills), and motivation for participation.

Quote Originally Posted by seanathan View Post
    Cool. What region were you in?
    Sorry about that, computer died, reformatting and all that.. My homestay was in Yamato, Kanagawa when I was exploring Tokyo and Osaka proper when I stayed over there for about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    Got my references all ready and I've just started drafting my SOP, does every country get the same guideline to the SOP the UK does? has to be between 800 - 1000 words and specifically cover 3 areas, 1) General Statement. 2) What can you contribute to JET. 3) Teaching Ideas ?
    No.

Hello all, thought I'd sign up here as I'll be applying for the 2012 JET selection.

I recently came back from spending two weeks in Japan and thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and as my career is somewhat stagnating I figured now's a good chance to make a change, to go live in another country and learn their culture as well as teach them a little of my own.

I don't hold high hopes of being picked, what with rapidly approaching 30 and sporting a few tattoos, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage_and_Hairspray View Post
    I don't hold high hopes of being picked, what with rapidly approaching 30 and sporting a few tattoos, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
    Niether of those things will hurt your chances unless you have a Charlie Manson forehead swastika.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    Niether of those things will hurt your chances unless you have a Charlie Manson forehead swastika.
    Thankfully I decided against that one I adhere to the rule that none of my tattoos will be visible when wearing a suit, and I have no problem covering them up for work (client/court visits).

That said, I got quite a lot of positive reactions to them when in Japan, from young and old alike.

Hi! I applied to JET back in 2009. I didn't even get an interview, but now that I have some tutoring experience under my belt I'm giving it another go. I was sent here by a friend who just got in to the program and I really look forward to learning from everybody here.
    Last edited by mijofrank; September 17th, 2011 at 04:23.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    ... unless you have a Charlie Manson forehead swastika.
    Damn. Guess I won't be applying then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage_and_Hairspray;
    Thankfully I decided against that one I adhere to the rule that none of my tattoos will be visible when wearing a suit, and I have no problem covering them up for work (client/court visits).

That said, I got quite a lot of positive reactions to them when in Japan, from young and old alike.
    I doubt those reactions were genuine. (My Japanese is atrocious and I have been complimented several times. They will be nice even when they are disappointed.) My lack of tattoos has been brought up as a positive a few times.
    Also, if you are in a small town it will be even more difficult to hide if they are on your arms, so be ready to to explain unless you are a Maori.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; September 15th, 2011 at 08:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah, I would say it's closer to the same response for when you say "Hello" in Japanese and you get the "OMG Y U GOOD THO" back. I wouldn't be too quick to say, however, that people think less of you when they find out. Of course there's people who have bad images, or are let down when they realize someone has a tattoo. As a foreigner though, more often than not, it seems more of ah "Oh, well you're a foreigner so it's not bad."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Well I had some teens and twenty-somethings come up to me and comment on them, either just saying 'cool' or wanting to know more about them (thank God for my Japanese friend Megumi!). I also had an elderly lady come up to me to chat and inspect my various tattoos; one is a Kamon that she was trying to identify.

As I said I have no problems covering up when working or at enkais and events, and can maybe even teach adults a little about worldwide tattoo culture, and how it compares with Japanese tattoo culture.

I have a tattoo that I forgot to cover up one day a few weeks ago. One of my JTEs ran over to me in a panic telling me that I should never let any of the other teachers at my school see it. She then promptly told me about an enkai in December that's being held at an onsen and how she would love it if I came. Hmmm.

I kind of wish I had the "oh, she's a crazy foreigner, whatever" teachers, but my JTE made it seem like they would burn me at the stake if they saw my tattoo(s). Kind of what I expected, so it's not that big of a deal. I just need to be careful with clothes.
    Last edited by semicolon; September 15th, 2011 at 17:40.

Ah yes, not being allowed into the majority of onsen is a shame, but one ryokan I stayed in did bend their rules by saying I could use the onsen late at night if I was certain nobody else was inside (they weren't busy).

Ive got sleeves on both arms, bottom of my right leg, chest and length of my torso, Im not gonna mention it to JET this year, I didnt get an interview last year but i did email them saying I was literally covered. . . I feel this was a mistake. . . I wont be doing this again lol. . . If i get accepted im gonna buy those long sleeve "workout" under shirts that keep you cool and covered . . . . im not too bothered about onsens either . .
    Von D

Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv