Page 1 of 102 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Brits [and Irish] 2011

Default Calling all Brits (and Irish) 2011

As no one has made one yet...
    Copied from last years thread http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying...rish-09-a.html

All Britishers and Irish please gather here to obsess, panic and support each other during the exhausting 2011 JET application!

Here are some dates to set in your mind from last year. Please bear in mind that the application process is an unpredictable beast and these dates are subject to change. However, if you search back through past years you will find its usually pretty close i.e. within days of each other each year. So without further ado here are
    LAST YEAR'S DATES:

*Application opened -16th
    October 2009 (A message went up on the UK-JET site saying there were technical issues with the online applications,)
    *First reported interview letter received - 5th January 2010 (they continued to be received for several weeks after this though so don't panic)
    *Interviews ran from around the 12th of January to mid February for ALTs and CIRs.
    Shortlist/alternate/rejection notification letters received 7th April Ireland, 9th April London. Over the course of about 2 weeks
    *Placement information letters received from 21st May

The application process is 3 months from applications being up to interview notices being received. Then 3 months until interview results are out. I'd suggest trying to find lots of things to keep you busy in that 6 month period. If you are at uni, forget about JET. (Yeah, it's hard I know. Especially as we are all so awesome here.) As once you've sent off your app/had your interview, you need to make sure you pass your degree. If like me, your Job bores you senseless, stick around here and get to know your fellow applicants.

If however you cant keep away, join us in the IRC (JET applicant chat room) Accessible either here:
    http://rizon.net/index.php?do=chat
    Server: #jet

Or here:
    http://02.chat.mibbit.com/
    IRC: Rizon [webirc]
    Server: #jet

So good luck every one. I'm sure there are quite a few Brits that made it over last year, who still frequent the forums (and maybe some non Brits too...) that will be willing answer any Brit specific questions.
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; November 13th, 2010 at 01:55.

You forgot to plug irc. Also that we aren't as xenophobic as we look. Others are welcome to chat, just don't expect us to tolerate your funny spelling.

Banned

Default Re: Calling all Brits (and Irish) 2011

Any Brit specific questions, feel free to pm me guys. I was somehow accepted this year and am in japan now.

Meh, provided its legible, it's all good!

I am enjoying the slightly begrudged parenthetical afterthought to the Irish. Seriously though, nice post - I guess I will continue to wait impatiently until the end of October. Oh, and cry into my kanji notebook.

Ah yes, apparently it was out later than usual.
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; September 7th, 2010 at 20:36. Reason: Jordan's curse

I am willing to provide my wealth of general knowledge to you all.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Word on the street is the Irish are tied for best Tokyo orientation party with the Stonewall folks

Hmm. well I don't know what Stonewall is in Pyro's part of town, but here it's stonewall.org.uk

He's just try'na make a funny I'm guessing.

Possibly Pyro's Irish source is just dull and really enjoyed talking to embassy staff. I know I would.

Hello.

Back in, erm, February? I went to this bar called Fusion or Fluid in London to meet some ex-JETs, then went again in May and apparently that regular meetup had ended. Just so you know. 'Least i got to watch Germany go out of the world cup.

Currently worrying about my SOP, but somebody started an advice thread with links to old advice threads with other people's on so i'll have a look at those.

Ooh, lots of things happened way later last year than they did when I applied in '08... how interesting.

I keep meaning to find time to sit down and hammer out a first draft of my personal statement. It took me ages to finalise my application last time, the fewer things I have to worry about this time, the better!
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella View Post
    Hmm. well I don't know what Stonewall is in Pyro's part of town, but here it's stonewall.org.uk

He's just try'na make a funny I'm guessing.
    pyro is an uphill gardener, stonewall is the same in his part of town as it is in yours.

Stonewall is the gay AJET org and obviously they'd have a good party, and the Irish just went a drank a lot apparently, at least for 2010.

I didn't go to either, I just ate conbini food and slept, but this is what I've heard.

I finally sat down today and made some notes on things I want to include in my personal statement. I was just wondering, though, is anyone breaking theirs up into sub-headings based on the structure given on the website? I did it with my original application for the sake of keeping things neat, but I'm not sure it was the best idea. For other people who are reapplying this year, what did you do with your personal statements in your previous applications?
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

I split it up; it may not be the most pretty and technically brilliant way to go, but I felt for clarity of communication and ease of reading it made sense.
    Possibly the only redeeming feature of my SoP last year was that it was easy to understand why I wanted/thought i was suited for the job.

The years will be interesting. I've only had one or two additional relevant experiences so it'll be a challenge to write much the same thing without writing the same thing.

I didn't split up my SoP last year, looking back at it I could have, but it would have been extremely middle heavy.

Like Jordan, only a few things have changed for me over the year. I was going to just resubmit my old app with new bits added in, but the more i read it the more i disliked it.

I've already rewritten it, again in the style of an essay (not separate headings) but it could easily be separated, and each question is addressed much better - again imo. I trimmed down my rambling on travel/living abroad and some other droning crap front he intro, and bulked up on teaching skills/methods(or whatever they asked) and what i can bring to the table. (Areas which were probably a paragraph at most last year)

EDIT:
    I'm sure some accepted UK JETs will chime in on how they set out their SoPs too
    Last edited by Shankerbelle; September 15th, 2010 at 23:30.

Hmm, I'll see how I do with writing it as a straight essay and reconsider the subheadings if I really do run into trouble... I should be OK though. Whenever I try to link things together in things like this it just always ends up feeling like I'm writing a GCSE English essay all over again!

I'm refusing to look at my personal statement from 2008. I don't think it would help me - I didn't even get an interview back then! Besides, I've done a hell of a lot in the last two years, and I think it's all made me a better candidate this time out, so it's better not to dwell on the past, I think.

Banned

I split it up BUT didn't keep the headings
    Second time round I really focused on why I fit job description/would be good ambassador or teacher and tied it to tangible examples everytime. Rather than lts of why japan stuff.

Also demonstrate adaptability and why you won't cra k moving to a new country with different cultural habits and language.

IMO the references are really important so butter up people now.

Banned

Ps welcome back Leah!