Thread: Who else is using Skritter?

Default Who else is using Skritter?

So I signed up for a free trial and forgot to turn off the "change this into a paying account after the trial is up" option. So now I have a month's paid account and have been using it on and off for a few weeks. Who else is using this? Any tips or advice that you can give to get the most out of it? I must say, it has been pretty useful in helping me remember kanji.

For those of you who don't know, Skritter is kind of like smart.fm, except they also provide writing exercises.

remembering kanji? How does it work?
    I'm falling into a pattern of forgetting all new study kanji after a week.

Looking for something that gives me words/kanji in context of interesting sentences/stories.

Well, Skritter is just like a flash card program, except it also tests you on writing. I've been using that service in conjunction with this website: Reviewing the Kanji. It's an online supplement to the book, "Remembering The Kanji" by James Heisig. It's pretty interesting because a lot of users can submit their own stories that help them remember kanji and such and I've found it to be pretty useful in helping the kanji stick. The website says that you need to "buy the book in order to use the site", but you don't really need to.
    Last edited by wnzszi; September 17th, 2010 at 08:56.

yeah, sweet. I've been using reviewing the kanji for awhile now. The problem with studying kanji meanings out of context is that I have to go back and learn the readings after the fact, and sometimes I find it way easier to learn kanji in context of words; so maybe it's not the most efficient way. But it helps me remember, and I really enjoy reading people's stories. If I keep forgetting kanji, I'll look into scritter. It sounds helpful.