Thread: Need Help Urgently

Default Need Help Urgently

Hey everyone. I was just asked tonight if I could come up with a lesson based around Halloween by Monday or Tuesday so that I can teach the lesson by Friday. For all of September, I'd been giving him suggestions as to what I would like to do, but he always gives the same old, "I have no confidence that they could do that" reply or "I feel it is too difficult for them". They are third-year JHS students. The ideas I gave him was to have them write their own stories with guidelines (too difficult), I then suggested a madlib (too difficult), I then offered to add a word bank (too difficult).

I have no idea what activity I can do with these kids outside of a crossword puzzle or a word search. The lesson probably won't be a prob, though, it's just the activity I'm lost on.

Has anyone here ever had this problem or have any suggestions on really easy activities?
    Last edited by SSJup81; October 1st, 2010 at 23:07.

try to visit englipedia .com

Well I've been doing Halloween themed Battleships with my 1nensei.

I've been to Englipedia and was actually there before I decided to make this thread. The thing is, he prefers them to have a writing type assignment (since they're third years) or an activity of that nature, but seems nothing is "easy" enough for them. I don't know how much more I can dumb the stuff down, like the writing assignment I originally suggested back in September to do for Halloween. I dumbed the story down and made it up myself.

This is also why I asked if anyone else ever had this type of problem in a general sense where the teacher feels that most that you suggest is "too difficult" for them or doesn't believe the students have the ability to do said assignment.
    Last edited by SSJup81; October 2nd, 2010 at 06:42. Reason: Typos as usual. ><

Itsvery difficult for a japanese like us writing long sentences..too difficult to use grammars ,what words to use and so on..So I think give them something to do like making costume for halloween..They love doing things than making sentences..

He already said no to activities like that long ago. I suggested making Jack-o-Lanterns (just with construction paper and stuff). "No imagination".

As for the story thing, the story would be pre-written. All they would have to do is fill in the blanks with either a verb, noun, or adjective, but he felt that was too difficult.

Default Re: Need Help Urgently

make some crazy story with like 4 or 5 versions/endings and have missing words in them (the blanks could be in japanese) kids make groups and then have to chose whic h story parts to use - then they act it out or read it something...

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Re: Need Help Urgently

If you want a really simlpe lesson, I have my kids play Halloween twister. You just replace the colors with the theme item. So, you end up going 'right hand vampire, left foot pumpkin' etc. The kids really like it.

If this is more work then you want, I have a worksheet set I can send you for the kids to work in pairs. Each work sheet has a haunted house with ghosts in the different rooms, but the numbers and positions of the ghosts are different. The kids need to find out where al the ghosts are between the two pictures, without looking. Practices how many, directions, rooms....
    Last edited by kalliea; October 4th, 2010 at 10:31.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter