Thread: Speaking practice for Eiken

Default Speaking practice for Eiken

I have two kids (JHS sannensei) who are taking the interview portion of the Eiken (standardized English test) in a little over a month. One is taking 3kyuu (which is where they should be when they finish JHS, ideally) and the other is taking 2kyuu (where they should be when they finish HS... don't ask me why).

They don't want me to ask them questions from the test prep, nor do they want straight-up conversation practice, but they do want me to ask them questions so they can get speaking practice by answering. The 3kyuu example questions I've seen seem quite simple (Have you ever been to another country? What do you like to do on the weekends?), and the 2kyuu ones seem more opinion-based (Do you think students should have to attend school on Saturdays? Why or why not?)

tl;dr: I can't think of anything else to ask them and I need ideas for questions or topics. I've already pulled a couple debate topics from here (inaka vs city), asked about their club activities, their aspirations, whether they think English should be taught in elementary school, why they're taking the Eiken, favorite places in Japan, and had them teach me something about Japan. Help me think of ideas!

Default Re: Speaking practice for Eiken

School uniforms: yes or no
    24-hour supermarkets: good or bad
    Does society do enough for the elderly
    Do we do enough for endangered species
    Computers: good or bad

Those were all prep questions from a previous 2kyuu test, so they may not have seen them before. Endangered species was a good one - one kid thought he was supposed to talk about dangerous species...

As for more original topics:
    Train, car or plane for a long journey
    Air con: good or bad

Default Re: Speaking practice for Eiken

Japanese: Genetically inferior or just raised to be that way.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.