Thread: Modal verbs [I think]

Default Modal verbs (I think)

My JTE wants me to think of a 'fun' activity for about 20 minutes, revolving around the verbs 'will', 'can', 'may' and 'must'. I personally don't think that these words can really be made fun, but I need to give it a go. All the examples I can find online deal with should and could, but not this particular strange combination.

Sooo, if you have any suggestions it would be great - I'm completely stuck on this one! (Also, students are very low level so the activity probably only needs to be meant for 5 mins and it'll take them the whole class).

Cheers. :-)
    always put off today what should have been done yesterday

I can't claim any great expertise but I think you could maybe split it into can/will may/must as two separate halves of a lesson at first.

May and must go together because one is a choice/question word, the other is for definites. You could create an exercise that leaves one half of a must or may statement blank and the kids are to fill it in from a statement pool.They should be things the kids will hopefully realise (if they understand the English) are either clearly a rule/orders or a choice.
    So you could have:
    You may
    You must
    play video games.
    eat vegetables

_____ do your homework.
    To which the answer to the blank is of course "You must". As opposed to.
    I may ____
    to which the answer could be "play video games".

Can/will could be a similar thing where you separate things the kids can do now, "I can speak English" from things they will do "I will be a doctor." Just to stress the idea that can is present about things you are able to do now, will is about things in the future.

Default Re: Modal verbs (I think)

make a big bingo sheet using these verbs and a (funny ) action - like 'can you do 10 push ups?' and have a small picture for each one - then they interiew their friends - junken and winner asks - if other person can do the action then they write their name - get a row and you get bingo - yay winna!

Default Re: Modal verbs (I think)

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Sometimes I do worry about my lack of creative thinking ...
    always put off today what should have been done yesterday