Thread: Doctor forms

Default Doctor forms

Got a question about the forms JET gives me to have my doctor fill out. The problem is I don't have a primary care doctor right now. I haven't had one for a while and I don't have health insurance for some time now (not because I can't get it, I just don't want to spend the money if I have to get new health insurance in Japan and my US one won't work there anyway).

How can I get a doctor to fill it out when I don't even have one? Would any random doctor do? I don't want to pay for a doctor's visit if I can avoid it since I don't have insurance. Anyone else in the same predicament? Solutions anyone?

PS. Psst... do you really need to tell them if you are applying for other jobs the same time as JET? Can they find out when they screen/interview you? PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks
    Last edited by adrianjet; October 25th, 2010 at 12:27.

Default Re: Doctor forms

If you haven't got a doc, I can only assume you wont have anything to declare on the self med form, in which case your doctor wont have to sign/fill out anything unless you are shortlisted. I haven't seen this years forms as ours are not up yet, plus I'm in the UK so things may be different...

As for telling them about other things, I didn't, and I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't..

You don't need to get that form filled out unless you list a medical condition for numbers 3-5 on the self-assessment sheet, if I'm not mistaken, or for any other condition that cold affect your life in Japan.

Have you tried looking into some clinics in your area? Many of the ones that I know of base what you have to pay on your income if you don't have insurance, but it could differ from place to place.

And I'm pretty sure that they won't go out of their way to see if you're applying elsewhere.

Yeah, you don't have to do anything other than the self-assessment right now, unless, as Ms. D said, you have some sort of gross medical condition or stupid brain thing.

When you have to do the medical check after the interview, though, you can just go to some random. I did. I'd never freakin' seen the doc before, but I went in, explained the nature of the situation ("I need a medical check-up for a job I really want. Unless I am facing imminent death in the next couple of months, I don't want you to mention any minor health issues you might find. Just let them know that I am healthy enough for the job."), she was totally cool with it, checked me out, and signed off on the form. It cost me like $80.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Beer & Loathing

Word, did you have to do the chest x-ray?

Yeah. Had to do it twice, actually; the doc was kind enough to mention that they might not care for an x-ray that showed my nipple rings, so I took 'em out and got another (I just love radiation).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Reviving this thread because I have the same issue... I'm only preparing for my interview now but if things go well, I'd like to be prepared for the final steps. I also don't have health insurance or a regular doctor and was wondering if anyone who went through the same situation could offer some advice? Or perhaps an estimate of how much everything would cost and if it would be up front?
    2012 Alternate / 2013 Applicant

My friend, who isn't applying to the JET program but some graduate program in Okinawa, has no insurance and went to a free clinic. They charged him like $200 for the Chest X-Ray and I think the other testing was free or decent but he had to schedule his appointment waaaaaay in advance and pay some walk-in fee or something.

So I guess it wasn't a free clinic. More like a walk in....

This probably doesn't help. But I'm sure a free/walk in clinic can do it for you. They also accept the results of a TB skin test, which is way cheaper.
    Last edited by Merkypie; February 16th, 2012 at 02:08.

No, that helps a lot! I'll find a clinic and try to schedule an appointment ASAP just in case. Thanks!
    2012 Alternate / 2013 Applicant

Mine was $250. They offered to just write 'unecessary' in the X-Ray portion of the form, which would have saved over $100. I didn't want to dick around with convincing anyone that was okay so I didn't roll the dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

My university had a doctor that visited once a week, so I just took the form to him. I also opted out of the x-ray. He listened to my lungs and said they were clear on the form. No one gave me any crap about it.