Thread: Elementary School - Numbers 50-100

Default Elementary School - Numbers 50-100

Any ideas for teaching this? The instructions I've been given say to teach 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 to a group of probably around 60-70 kids (the entire grade). No other context, just the numbers themselves. I'm not so much having trouble with finding number activities, as much as I am finding number activities you can do with groups of this size. Thanks!

Default Re: Elementary School - Numbers 50-100

With 60/70 kids chances are you're teaching this in the gym, might as well make up a silly game and play that. Even something as simple as "find your partner" gets entertaining with 60 to 70 kids.

Another easy game is to put a card on each kids back for 50 to 100 with a piece of tape and then tell them to line up, but they can't look at their own number or use any Japanese.

You could play the largest game of numbers basket the nation has seen.

You could use one of the online generators to make a connect the dots worksheet, and you call out the numbers in sequence. (they have that one in the book too if you're lazy).

If you want to go academic, you could do some actual arithmetic on the board after practicing number names and call on kids randomly. Probably best to put them into groups of 4 and keep track of points somewhere.

I dunno, there is a lot you could do here. You could put the numbers 50 - 100 randomly around on the wall and when you call a number they all have to run to that number. You could add in the element of you chasing them and tagging any slow kids, who then become number zombies with you and help chase down the rest.

You could make a printout with a large grid of numbers 50 - 100 on it and then call out numbers one by one. The students fill in the appropriate boxes, and by doing so draw another number between 50 - 100. The first student to guess the number, raise their hand, and say it correctly gets a sticker. You could do a few rounds of that pretty easily on a single sheet.
    Last edited by Waldroon; October 26th, 2010 at 16:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Default Re: Elementary School - Numbers 50-100

Thanks! This is the first giant group I've been given, so I'm a bit nervous as to how it will go.