Thread: More than 2 letters of recommendation

Default More than 2 letters of recommendation

Hey guys, long time lurker but first time poster. Finally finishing up my degree this semester and applying for JET, which I've wanted to do for about 6 years now :/

I did my application and am gathering up my last stuff before I send it off. My question is this, I already have 2 letters of recommendation from 2 professors at my school. A Japanese teacher, and my International Business teacher. I however, contacted 4 more people when I initially asked for letters and they all recently got back to me and said they would do it. Should I send them more than the required 2 letters or will that piss them off? The other letters would be coming from another business teacher of mine, and 3 colleagues who worked at the company I interned for last summer.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

writes letters to Edwin mrfahrenheit's Avatar

No more than two letters. Your application will be immediately disqualified if you have more materials than they require. It's an easy way for them to weed out applicants, so be careful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    They're FUCKING MEETING ABOUT POTATOES AGAIN

Default Re: More than 2 letters of recommendation

Not sure about the US, but the UK guidelines say that "If an applicant sends more than two references, two will be randomly chosen and the extra reference(s) will be discarded," which is better than being disqualified outright but still not great.
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

The best you can hope for in sending >2 references is that the extras will simply be ignored. This is not ideal as it takes the decision of which references the selection people see out of your hands.

Choose the 2 references you think will be strongest and don't be too hung up on the fact one is Japan-related. It's better to have a glowing unrelated reference speaking to your broad brilliance than a related reference that paints you as average.

Pick the 2 from the people who love you the most.

eenie meenie miny mo them if you love them all, better than hitting the rejection pile, or the consulate just tossing one.

Daddyatemyfries

lol I'am in the same boat adep.
    I have 3 letters and must choose two.

Their titles?
    Director
    Librarian(my supervisor)
    Youth Services Library(clerk)

Director is going to get picked hands down, but I'am torn between the Librarian and and the Clerk. I already know how the librarian's letter has because she wrote one for me before last year, and I believe she's just going to recycle it. But I'am interested to know the Clerk's letter too...meh

just going to toss them both in the air and sees who falls down face up lol
    I also thought maybe if I sent three JET would be like "WOW she's definately interview material..she has 3 people praising her" but that is wishful thinking..they'd probably think the opposite "she thinks she's hot stuff cause she has 3 references! Doesn't follow rules, next!!"
    Last edited by Daddyatemyfries; November 4th, 2010 at 03:04.

I was wondering myself a while back about using my old boss (who would be expecting me to ask for a reference, but i hated that job and it showed) or my current one (wouldn't be expecting it juuust yet, but i like that job and it shows). I went with the current one, his full title (if he used it anyway) is more impressive too... which sadly probably makes all the difference.

Do what is required and do not send more. Save the flashy impression for your interview.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyatemyfries View Post
    I also thought maybe if I sent three JET would be like "WOW she's definately interview material..she has 3 people praising her" but that is wishful thinking..they'd probably think the opposite "she thinks she's hot stuff cause she has 3 references! Doesn't follow rules, next!!"
    Basically this, pick the best two references

Quote Originally Posted by nikunikuniku View Post
    Basically this, pick the best two references
    Also, being able to get more than 2 good references is not hard at all for many people and so not actually that impressive.

Daddyatemyfries

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    Also, being able to get more than 2 good references is not hard at all for many people and so not actually that impressive.
    meh, my reference story was a nightmare, and made me consider my worth as an employee.but it turned into a happy ending.