Thread: The food lesson in Eigo Note is dumb

Default The food lesson in Eigo Note is dumb

Have you guys seen the dumb "food unit" in the first book of Eigo Note? They spend one lesson trying to get the kids to recognize the English pronunciations of katakana words which is a good idea. Then a few pages later there is a table full of food.

A majority of it is either straight up Japanese food, or stupid post-war Westernized Japanese cuisine like "hamburg". Unless they are actually going to Germany, a kid isn't going to be able to get a stupid hamburg steak simply by ordering it in English. They aren't going to be able to get most of the food on the page.

Why not teach them some basic things like, "chicken", "pork", or "beef"? Or maybe teach them that ordering ポテト isn't going to get them french fries. The basic aim of the lesson is good, but the vocabulary is pushing them backwards as much as the grammar they're learning is pushing them forward.

Finally beginning to see the problems with the "internationalization" portion of Eigo Note.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Default Re: The food lesson in Eigo Note is dumb

Are you forced to use the book? Whenever I ran across problems like this I would just tell the kids it's wrong, why it's wrong, and how to use it correctly. But my JTEs never had a problem with me doing that so if you have more uptight JTEs it might not work.

But anyway... Yeah. I've never seen a good English textbook in Japan yet.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Yeah, modify it if you can. I don't use eigo note much but all the elementary teachers seem to let me do whatever. Tell the kids flat out "ok there is no such thing as hamburg outside of Japan" or that if they go abroad they need to worry about learning how to say things like coffee or juice correctly.

Wait till you get to “I want to go to Italy”

I did that one for the first time yesterday, a fucking shambles.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

Banned

up until this year ive been doing my own thing when it came to food. But the new curriculum insist on using the Eigo note, and so my teachers also insist on using it. I basically have found a few ways to incorporate it into my original lesson... but i also have the time at school to do this, i dont know about your school schedule

So what i have been doing is breaking this down into 3 seperate lessons.

First lesson: Start the chapter with the Eigo note, doing the whole 外来語 stuff. Use that to point out that

A) pronunciation is different with words in English v Katakana and
    B) if you don't work towards correct pronunciation you sound stupid.

To accomplish B i usually do my worse japanese impression (a.k.a. my mom trying to say konnichiwa or my favorite weeaboo from college) and then get the kids laughing. With the help of the teacher (this can be hard with the prideful teachers) i try to do a whole "does this sound stupid? or correct" with them doing really good pronunciation of English, and really bad pronunciation, and me doing the opposite in Japanese. This lesson is a big part of my "ganbatte mentality" that i try to get the kids into. I intentionally make mistakes in Japanese, and ask the kids in class to correct me, with the intention that if they see me as imperfect, they will get over that whole "we have to speak perfectly to speak english" mentality that they have forced into them.

then i move on to the actual food part of the lesson, do the listening with the horrible stereotypes. The korean eats kimchi, the french eats the bread etc. If i can, i try to point out that not only koreans eat kimchi, and ask the kids what foods they eat.

That can make up one lesson,

For the second lesson: i do more on food words, using my own words. Chicken, pork, sandwich etc... Then i teach them the "what do you want?" question from the book, and the meaning of the word "want" and then have the kids practice... saying "i want this, i want that.. i want chicken etc etc"

i finish that up with a game. Depending on the class level, this can be a card interview (give them cards, have them try to collect them all from their friends... stuff like that), fly swatter game, or karuta

the last lesson* i review the "i want" and the food, and then we play an easy shopping game where i give them all money and they go shopping. Before the Eigo note we did fruits, so now i have them use the Eigo note and their goal is to make the stupid Parfait,

stuff they need to use:
    i want なんとか
    5,10,15 dollars please.. (they should know please, and dollars isn't that hard)
    here you are.. thank you.. (i make them use this all the time, so its more of a review)

simple stuff

Quote Originally Posted by nikunikuniku View Post
    the last lesson* i review the "i want" and the food, and then we play an easy shopping game where i give them all money and they go shopping. Before the Eigo note we did fruits, so now i have them use the Eigo note and their goal is to make the stupid Parfait
    Last Christmas at this one school with eight 5th Graders, we made real parfaits for this lesson because I lied and said that in my part of America, we don't eat Kentucky Fried Chicken, we make Christmas Parfaits as a family instead. the kids went through the line and ordered things like sprinkles, crushed oreos, assorted fruits, hamburg, kimuchi, and chocolate syrup, and then we ate them in front of the 6th graders who were doing the same lesson, but had to make theirs with paper instead, because the two homeroom teachers were doing a psychology experiment on their respective classes.