Thread: Perth Interview Completed! Sign in!

Default Perth Interview Completed! Sign in!

Well did my Interview and like all of you have my doubts and wished I answered some of the questions etc better but I suppose its all done now.

Questions i would have liked to answer better:

**How do you deal with stress as you may encounter stressful situations?
    -- A: I dont really get stressed. Im focused and at the end of the day Ill go home and have a break. I have had stressful jobs but i dont easily get stressed.

**When you come back to Australia what Japanese experiences/values/culture etc will you promote?
    --A: Im not sure ill be coming back in the near future as Id like to work in an International Capacity and might be based in Japan.

**Any Questions youd like to ask us?
    -- Ah no. Not really since ive done my homework and understand what happens from here on.

and more.

What about you? Howd you feel you went?

It would be hard to say how it went, as I wasn't in the room at the time of the interview.

That said, as long as you didn't rub up against the interviewers and/or the furniture in a manner that suggested you needed to get busy with them, you probably did okay.

Faced with those two questions, I would have said that stress was a part of life, and it was important to be aware of it, so that when it hit you (culture shock contains stress, for example), you would be better able to handle it. It would also be good to reflect on why you were feeling stressed, and to see if your mood was affecting other people.

For the second question, I would have said that I would like to promote the depth and range of the Japanese culture - inasmuch as non-Americans might view generic America as either sleazy stars (LA), towering buildings (NY) and rural hick farmland (midwest), there is a wealth of diversity in the country that seldom makes it out to the rest of the world. In Japan's case, that is particularly relavent, as the majority of Japanese don't travel, so all most foreigners have is the media representation of the country and the people to go on. What you would bring back with you would be an increased understanding of Japanese culture/lifestyle, so that you can better inform those in your home country, and demistify a country that you hope your fellow Australians will want to visit.

Or something like that.

Bear in mind that the questions asked of you are there to put you on the spot. The answers are secondary to the fact that you were able to answer them.

Thnx Cornelius.

I did explain that Id be able to get accustomed to the lifestyle and culture quickly enough as ive had to do that in the past and travelled backpack to SE Asia(3countries).

Overall I was confident. I answered well. I did repeat myself a few times. Said "You know" a couple of times. I was well dressed and had a smile. So i think i did well.

What was interesting though was "they" didnt actually seem to write much down.

Oh they also asked" how do i deal with conflict situations?" I said I avoid conflict and dont create it or multiply it and am welling to work things out.

I can't recall if anything was written down for mine.

Two questions I remember from my interview:

"Looking at your essay, you say that you are interested in Japanese culture, yet you didn't write about it in detail - why is that?" (The essay was actually loaded with details regarding my interest in the cuture and the people).

"You are going to meet the mayor of your town, and you will have to give a speech on your country. Name five topics relating to your degree that you can talk about."

(did that)

"Now pick one and talk about it to us."

Ahh, good times...

One thing that got me a bit stumped was when the first question was "why have you applied for this scholarship?"

IM like WTF? Am i in the right room?

and we all want to know EP,

DID YOU WEAR A SUIT??????

weens
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:38 pm Post subject:
    and we all want to know EP,

DID YOU WEAR A SUIT??????

Laughing
    Yes Weens. Yes I did.

The panel consisted of 3 interviewers.

However I got the impression that their own english competancies(pronunciation etc) could have been a lot better except one of them that was pretty good.

I also got the impression that maybe they were just after basic points and that they wanted to see how you responded rather than what you responded with. Because in some of their questions i dont think i even saw them make a note.

Each interviewer had their own set of questions to ask and at the end they asked a few random ones by the looks of it.

HOW MANY APPLICANTS DO THEY INTAKE FROM PERTH?

There was 52 applicant and ~8 of them for CIR.

All done!

Geez, I absolutely talked their heads off, they were nice Japanese people though and too polite to tell me to shut my face.

I'm happy though - I gave it my best shot so there's no regrets now if I don't get in.

I definitely got the feeling it was more an interview of character than anything, I can't understand people "studying" for it. If you're the right kind of person, I'd like to think you'd get the position. Studying what they want to hear and parroting it back to them when it's not what you really think is lying, and lies make baby Jesus cry tears of acid that melt his face.

Oh, and I didn't wear a suit. 38 degrees and very high humidity? I had a hard enough time convincing myself to put on a tie.

Gluck all, the waiting game begins!

Quote Originally Posted by calltheambulance
    Oh, and I didn't wear a suit. 38 degrees and very high humidity? I had a hard enough time convincing myself to put on a tie!
    no, but you wore pants, shirt and tie, right?
    i didn't wear my blazer in, it was too damn hot... i hung it on the back of the chair...

pffft women!

I walked in with full formal wear! tie, shoes, shirt, pants, blazer, cuffs!

And i was the one thinking of a burgundy shirt and jeans! heheh

I had one of those chippendales collar and cuff sets which was all I was wearing, apart from that I was pretty much naked. My bow tie DID spin though.

Default Re: Perth Interview Completed! Sign in!

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionpunk
    Well did my Interview and like all of you have my doubts and wished I answered some of the questions etc better but I suppose its all done now.
    As long as you seemed confident, genuine and aware of what you are getting yourself in for, which to me it seems you do, I think you will be fine.

No follow my example after the interview.
    After my interview it was straight to the pubs in Edinburgh and time to mess up that pretty suit I wore.
    Relax. Now it out of your hands.

Congrats Perth people! It must feel so great to have it over and done with. I wouldn't stress too much about the fact you should have answered questions better - we all think that after interviews (I'm sure I will after mine). You can't change it now though, and they know you're on the spot. As many people have said, it doesn't seem to be just what you say but how you react to their questions. I'm sure you all went fine.

Don't bite off all your finger nails waiting! :x

Default 2005 CIR Perth applicants

I don't recall seeing any Perth CIR applicants post. There were 8 of us. How did the rest of you go? I felt like I walked in there and bent over and pineappled myself. I just kind of felt there wasn't enough time to explain why I wanted to go as a CIR. I don't think they asked deep enough questions, just to obligatory stuff. Fu---------------------. I wish I had prepared answers to those more generic questions.

That said, they were really nice, and the Jap test was ok. But, in a way, that's what makes me nervous.