Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Ferry to SK?

  1. #1
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Ferry to SK?

    I'd like to take a ferry to SK. Anyone have any experience doing this? Recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    SK being South Korea?

    There's a high speed boat (JR Beetle) from FUK to Pusan (takes 3 hours). Or from Shimonoseki (Yamaguchi) too (overnight?).
    I think there is one more as well but I can't remember it.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    this is from a russian perspective, if you google harder you can find more on it - Trans-Siberian: Ferry Vladivostok, Russia - Donghae, Korea - Sakaiminato, Japan

    its even got a nightcrub

  4. #4
    Bad Guy Alphabet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Doomworld
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    JR beetle is nice. It's a pretty good size, so you won't get so much sea-sickness. It takes three hours I think. They give you free coupons for soda or drinks. I took it there and back. Way better than flying and customs/immigration are a breeze.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    i looked into it last year to get to Busan, but i found it quite expensive to get down to Fukuoka, and then take the ferry. Was a lot cheaper for me to fly to Seoul and then take the Krail down to Busan... A lot of the local airports offer flights to Korea for cheap.


    if you do it, let me know how it is, i still wanna do it

  6. #6
    Senior Member kalliea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA
    Posts
    11,955

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    Anyone remember how much the ferry from Fukuoka is?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Anyone remember how much the ferry from Fukuoka is?
    Enjoying the website:
    Beetle English
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

  8. #8
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default

    I did it. It was nice.

    I took the overnight boat from Shimonoseki. I was really glad that I did. It was a way, way better deal than the fast boat. Oh, sure, the ticket price was about the same, but considering we didn't have to pay for a hotel room, it worked out really well. It was basically like paying for a moving hotel room--fall asleep in Shimonoseki, wake up in Busan.

    We stayed in 1st class. It was worth the cost. 1st class gets you your own room (and bathroom/shower), which is nice. It's still cheaper than the fast boat. The first night, we stayed in a normal room, with two bunk beds. The trip back, we stayed in a Japanese-style room; a bare room with thin futons in the closet. I think the Japanese-style room was a little cheaper. I kinda liked it a little more, altho both rooms have their advantages and disadvantages.

    We had originally planned on taking 2nd class back, but after seeing the accommodations, we upgraded our tickets. 2nd class is like a Japanese hostel; you're in a big communal room with a small alcove for your stuff and a thin futon and blanket set to spread out and sleep on. There are no lockers. You use a communal bath-house on board. Your fellow passengers (in 2nd class) will be 85% old, old Korean women, 13% old, old Korean men, 1% Korean children, and the rest is mixed J-folk.

    The boat itself is nice; it's big, comfortable, has a restaurant, a bar, a coffee shop, a duty-free shop (heh... duty), and a convenience store. Oh, and a game room with old Sega arcade games (get your Tekken or 1945 fix) and plenty of smoking areas. It does rock a bit; this made me feel a bit woozy the first night, but I was also completely drunk. The trip back, it was worse, but it didn't bug me in the slightest, although my girl wasn't real happy with it (she didn't ever barf or anything, tho). I think the constant rumble of the ship's engine bugged her more than anything, but it didn't bother me at all; I barely noticed it. Neither of us had any trouble sleeping, though.

    The rooms have power outlets, although only one is American/Japanese style; the rest are Korean (big round recessed 2-prong plug; American/Japanese won't fit without an adapter). They have a small tv that gets shitty J and K stations.

    Customs is a breeze. There is nearby parking in Shimonoseki for reasonable rates (1000yen a day). The staff is all really nice to you; they seemed startled to see Americans on board, and watched out for us (all the announcements (with the exception of one hilarious recording) were made in Korean or Japanese).

    A few random observations:

    Shimonoseki is the skeaziest city I have see in Japan. It seems that the entire city around the harbor area consists primarily of soap bars/brothels and pachinko parlors.

    Old Korean people are appallingly, ridiculously rude. Like, way, way ruder than your average rude old Japanese person. My girl and I really had to drop into "American" mode to deal with queues and stuff. Seriously, it was quite common for an old Korean woman to literally push you out of the way to get in line in front of you. At immigration, a group of them took town the plastic queue chains and bypassed half the line.

    Korean food is not all that great; it's not bad, better than some Japanese, but I like Vietnamese and Chinese way the f* better.


    One other thing--there was a company that offered a ferry from Kobe to Busan, although I don't know if they were still in business or not (their counter was never operating while we were at the port). If, in fact, they are still in business, I'll look into them next time; Kobe is a f* of a lot closer to me than Shimonoseki.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    i dont know why, but that sounds awesome...

    i just wish there was a ferry closer than kyushu... 30,000 for a roundtrip down, plus the ferry.. kind of suck, even kobe is kind of far

  10. #10
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    Yeah, Kobe is kinda far for me, too, actually. Shimonoseki was ridiculous. ETC fees alone were well over 2man. If I hadn't been a dumbfuck, I'd have planned this a bit better and at least ONE of those trips would have been on a Sat/Sun/holiday. Oh, well. It was a nice drive, if a bit long. I love driving. It felt almost like being back in the 'States.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Yeah, Kobe is kinda far for me, too, actually. Shimonoseki was ridiculous. ETC fees alone were well over 2man. If I hadn't been a dumbfuck, I'd have planned this a bit better and at least ONE of those trips would have been on a Sat/Sun/holiday. Oh, well. It was a nice drive, if a bit long. I love driving. It felt almost like being back in the 'States.
    the local airport offers flights to Seoul twice a week and usually the price is only 2 to 4 man. seeing that I am a 1.5man round trip to Osaka (train,car) the ferry just doesn't seem practical. If Russia wasn't a pain in the ass about their visa, id take a quick trip to Vladivostok, even if the ferry is 3man

  12. #12
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    I guess the deciding factor for me was that it was two of us. It worked out as the cheapest option.

    Russian visas are a pain in the ass? Too bad; I'd like to go to Russia one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I guess the deciding factor for me was that it was two of us. It worked out as the cheapest option.

    Russian visas are a pain in the ass? Too bad; I'd like to go to Russia one of these days.
    they are very similar to chinese visas. but the thing i hate the most about them is you have to have a clear entry/exit date. so you can't be flexible. and decide, man im going to russia this weekend.

    you also have to have a place to stay on the visa, so no floating around to hostels.


    at least thats what i was told when i checked,
    *things may be different for Brits, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis... Americans seem to get strange restrictions more often

  14. #14
    Bad Guy Alphabet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Doomworld
    Posts
    6,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I did it. It was nice.

    I took the overnight boat from Shimonoseki. I was really glad that I did. It was a way, way better deal than the fast boat. Oh, sure, the ticket price was about the same, but considering we didn't have to pay for a hotel room, it worked out really well. It was basically like paying for a moving hotel room--fall asleep in Shimonoseki, wake up in Busan.

    We stayed in 1st class. It was worth the cost. 1st class gets you your own room (and bathroom/shower), which is nice. It's still cheaper than the fast boat. The first night, we stayed in a normal room, with two bunk beds. The trip back, we stayed in a Japanese-style room; a bare room with thin futons in the closet. I think the Japanese-style room was a little cheaper. I kinda liked it a little more, altho both rooms have their advantages and disadvantages.

    We had originally planned on taking 2nd class back, but after seeing the accommodations, we upgraded our tickets. 2nd class is like a Japanese hostel; you're in a big communal room with a small alcove for your stuff and a thin futon and blanket set to spread out and sleep on. There are no lockers. You use a communal bath-house on board. Your fellow passengers (in 2nd class) will be 85% old, old Korean women, 13% old, old Korean men, 1% Korean children, and the rest is mixed J-folk.

    The boat itself is nice; it's big, comfortable, has a restaurant, a bar, a coffee shop, a duty-free shop (heh... duty), and a convenience store. Oh, and a game room with old Sega arcade games (get your Tekken or 1945 fix) and plenty of smoking areas. It does rock a bit; this made me feel a bit woozy the first night, but I was also completely drunk. The trip back, it was worse, but it didn't bug me in the slightest, although my girl wasn't real happy with it (she didn't ever barf or anything, tho). I think the constant rumble of the ship's engine bugged her more than anything, but it didn't bother me at all; I barely noticed it. Neither of us had any trouble sleeping, though.

    The rooms have power outlets, although only one is American/Japanese style; the rest are Korean (big round recessed 2-prong plug; American/Japanese won't fit without an adapter). They have a small tv that gets shitty J and K stations.

    Customs is a breeze. There is nearby parking in Shimonoseki for reasonable rates (1000yen a day). The staff is all really nice to you; they seemed startled to see Americans on board, and watched out for us (all the announcements (with the exception of one hilarious recording) were made in Korean or Japanese).

    A few random observations:

    Shimonoseki is the skeaziest city I have see in Japan. It seems that the entire city around the harbor area consists primarily of soap bars/brothels and pachinko parlors.

    Old Korean people are appallingly, ridiculously rude. Like, way, way ruder than your average rude old Japanese person. My girl and I really had to drop into "American" mode to deal with queues and stuff. Seriously, it was quite common for an old Korean woman to literally push you out of the way to get in line in front of you. At immigration, a group of them took town the plastic queue chains and bypassed half the line.


    Korean food is not all that great; it's not bad, better than some Japanese, but I like Vietnamese and Chinese way the f* better.


    One other thing--there was a company that offered a ferry from Kobe to Busan, although I don't know if they were still in business or not (their counter was never operating while we were at the port). If, in fact, they are still in business, I'll look into them next time; Kobe is a f* of a lot closer to me than Shimonoseki.
    lol AGREED
    Specially if you are a female. You get grunts, blatant stares, and people getting right up in your space. One dude got RIGHT in my way on purpose in the middle of a crosswalk and wouldn't move. ASSHOLES.

    I like Korean food though!
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

  15. #15
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    Yeah, while we were at the market, when my girl and I were standing near a shop, checkin' out some pots and pans, this old dude walked between us. Like, pushed his way in between us. We were standing close together, arm to arm; it was obvious that it was intentional and he had to go out of his way to do it. We were really confused by it. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  16. #16
    Bad Guy Alphabet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Doomworld
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    That's creepy!
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    been to china? i had old people spitting at me anytime i got near my female friend who was asian, add that and all the constant grabbing "buy my shit, buy my shit" korea is a breeze

  18. #18
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    I got a lot of the "Sir? Buy something? Sir?" when I was in Vietnam; it was similar in Cambodia, but slightly less aggressive. I didn't really notice outright rudeness, but I wasn't with my girl then, either...

    Does that really have something to do with it? My girl is Asian, but she's completely American. It's been weird for her being here (and it Korea); everyone always tries to talk to her in J-go first, but she can't speak more than three or four words in Japanese. Quite LOL at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    東京ディズニーランド
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    it could. I went to beijing with several girls, but the only time i got the spit was when i was standing next to the one who was asian. The worse part for me was the hard sell of china, they would ask you to buy something, even if you weren't looking at it, and then follow you and hound you... several times they grabbed my arm, or one of the girls i was with. Which really pissed me off.

    In Tienanmen i almost got into a fight because one of them tried to sell me a book, that i didnt want. and eventually after saying "fuck off, no, no, go.. Bu Yao (chinese for no i dont want) he grabbed the girl i was with and tried the same. I instinctively pushed him off, and got into a quick shoving match.

    they also were about the rudest people ive delt with, never been kicked out of a cab in any country but china, and all i did was ask for a hotel that was "outside his area"

    never had that in south east asia.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Ferry to SK?

    Why did I think she was blonde? You're full of shit word.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •