Thread: Advance Students

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Advance Students

Hey All!

I have a question about dealing with advance students. I have two classes where there is one student who is head and shoulders above the rest of the class. They always know the answer and they are really excited to answer.

I can't call on them every time - it isn't fair to the rest of the class. However, one gets kind of angry when I don't call on her constantly. Last year I had a similar student and now she doesn't seem to like English as much, and I worry it is because I didn't give her enough attention.

So....help. Please. How do you deal with advance students?
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Re: Advance Students

That is pretty genius. Thanks RL!
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Definitely, definitely let them know why you can't call on them all the time. Another thing you could do, if they are willing is have them help teach the lesson. For example, say you need a dialogue partner and instead of using the JTE have them help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin View Post
    Definitely, definitely let them know why you can't call on them all the time. Another thing you could do, if they are willing is have them help teach the lesson. For example, say you need a dialogue partner and instead of using the JTE have them help you out.
    Isn't that just as bad as letting them answer all the questions? They are still singled out as being the best at English, and would no doubt still want to answer all the question anyway.

I agree with the explaining why you cant call on them all the time (Or at least try to explain) RomulusLupin's "special work" and offering up yout time to chat in English are pretty sound.